Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] - Wipers On : Lights On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard Teslas used to do that then for some reason stopped.

I'd definitely like to see it as at least menu option you could turn on and off. It honestly seems pretty easy to implement, too. If wipers on for x amount of time (30sec?), turn on lights. If wipers stop for 1min and it's not dark, turn offl ights

It is law in many places to have your lights on when your wipers turn on. Unless I am missing something, I don’t see that as an option to happen automatically. This seems like a simple upgrade in software. Does anyone know anything about this feature? How do you make a suggestion to Tesla? Thank You
Yeah, this used to be the behavior. Tesla (without announcement) removed it for some totally unknown reason some time in the last 2 years. One of the few times I actually liked a Tesla auto feature and they removed it! The company is so strange sometimes.

I honestly don't bother most of the time, but last week we had some heavy rain during the day and barely anyone on the road had their lights on. I had to manually turn mine on because I thought it was pretty dangerous not to.

It's kind of a pain to do that too (voice command didn't seem to work for "turn headlights on"... command not recognized) so I had to figure out how to do it on the fly. I generally just leave it on auto as I imagine most people do regardless of car make.

Tesla has auto steering wheel heater, surely we can tie auto headlights to the wipers, even if it's just an option to turn on/off

Just recently, my wife was following me in our 2020 M3 when we went thru a heavy downpour. I looked in the rearview mirror of the car I was driving and I could see that when the rain sensing wipers came on in our M3 so did the headlights. Also, she wasn't in cruise control and we don't have FSD.

DRLs should always be on.

This is a common confusion. DRLs don't turn on taillights and identifying the tail of the vehicle in low visibility, for following traffic, is one of the primary reasons for the law in most places.

I've noticed a similar problem with people who've gotten used to automatic lights (in any vehicle). Since modern instrument panels are always lit, when there's sufficient street lighting, people will drive for miles in the dark with their external lights turned off; some have DRLs but none have tail lights.

There are many threads on this subject but until somebody with pull decides to tweet Elon, we'll never see the issue fixed since there's no feedback to the software teams who break perfectly good features when pushing updates without full testing. I swear, they need to use checklists and confirm all previous functions persist between iterations - OTA updates to vehicles shouldn't be treated the same as game updates where a bug or backstep is, at most, an inconvenience rather than a violation of the law or safety concern.

It is law in many places to have your lights on when your wipers turn on. Unless I am missing something, I don’t see that as an option to happen automatically. This seems like a simple upgrade in software. Does anyone know anything about this feature? How do you make a suggestion to Tesla? Thank You
I've always wondered the same.

In newer cars the daytime running lights are on. In California that qualifies.

If you mean to say that having only DRL on (and not the headlights) during the rain and with wipers continuously running is legal in CA, I don't think so. Last I checked (Sept 2021) it did not seem to be the case:

A couple of years ago that was a question on the news. CHP said it was okay but preferred you turn the headlights on so the back of your car lights up too.

I was driving a Chevy Tahoe at the time. I’d had to pull over and stop to figure out how to turn on the headlights manually.