Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! New voice and maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... Yes, so I am trying to raise awareness about this upcoming change (I know not everybody loves cards, but just dropping them like that is going to make things worse in some places) before it's too late. The slider "until next turn" is also gone which I think is bad too.
I know some people dislike cards because they obscure the map view, but they could have displayed them on the other side of the dash for example or come up with some other solution other than dropping them altogether.
^^^THIS^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!

But, the current nav is so awesome.

I was in Bandon, Oregon and I wanted to go to Grants Pass, Oregon. Instead of doing the direct route it had me going all the way to California, and then back up to Grants Pass. At first I figured it was the Supercharger stop so I removed all supercharging stops, but it still wanted me to go all the way down to cali. It desperately wanted to see the California coast.

Then I turned off the trip planner, but that didn't help. So I switched the location to somewhere close where I could then redirect to grants pass.

• Funny
Reactions: bak_phy
QUOTE: "Tesla vehicles in North America are using Navigon’s Q4 2015 maps, but the new modules are using 3 maps versions all dating from February to July 2017"

Even if the map data is labeled July 2017 it could have portions that are several years old. I often find zooming in on a section of a city I know that a random line divides stale data from newer data. Whatever plane or satellite they used made a pass and they updated some portion of the city but didn't get the portion to the west of that.

Just mentioning it so people don't expect miracles from a map data update.

Don't pay attention to the position, because I am too lazy to reconstruct IC image from captured can data, I just drove the same route twice, but traffic being what it is, it was not exact, so while I edited it some it's still not 100% matching, just within a few seconds.
I could have done two videos one with every ic picture separate, but then correlating them is hard, I wanted to have a comparison side by side for better illustrative purposes.

The routes are different. A lot closer to what google maps would suggest which is both good (modern) and bad (the second trip in the video it actually decided to choose a longer less optimal route where as navigon went for the most convenient one).

ugh, no, but the maps are from a model 3, since they did not release new maps for anywhere but Taiwan yet on model S/X.

Yes, so I am trying to raise awareness about this upcoming change (I know not everybody loves cards, but just dropping them like that is going to make things worse in some places) before it's too late. The slider "until next turn" is also gone which I think is bad too.
I know some people dislike cards because they obscure the map view, but they could have displayed them on the other side of the dash for example or come up with some other solution other than dropping them altogether.
You are simply the best poster. I appreciate how you are helping to raise the wool over our eyes. Your work and communication is incredible and valuable. Thank you.

I guess my take on all this is -- meh.

EXCEPT that somebody at Tesla is doing SOMETHING with the nav system. That is encouraging.
Could just be a summer intern who will, uh, bolt to cruise before Tesla has it implemented. I can't even have Slacker pause a song when I turn off the car. The 4 people in Tesla's coding department probably are busy building 3's by hand.

Even if the map data is labeled July 2017 it could have portions that are several years old. I often find zooming in on a section of a city I know that a random line divides stale data from newer data. Whatever plane or satellite they used made a pass and they updated some portion of the city but didn't get the portion to the west of that.

Just mentioning it so people don't expect miracles from a map data update.
IF you mean "zooming in" on the CID, that has nothing to do with the actual navigation maps. The cid tiles are pulled from google maps for illustration purposes only.
This is not to say that navigon snapshots could not contain older data as well of course.

To: Very Green, How is the total trip time? I find that it is between 10 and 15 minutes too long when compared to Google maps and when compared to actual time needed.
Seems to be adequate, but I did not try it for any longish trips.

It's encouraging Tesla is (finally) investing in a replacement for the quick-time-to-market system using Navigon data/routing software, Tesla trip planner/user interface, Google maps and TomTom speed limits.

Since FSD will rely on the navigation system, this is something Tesla needed to be working on - before they start doing serious development and testing for FSD.

Though I am still concerned that relying on offline maps for routing will not be good enough to support FSD - and that we could see a cloud-based navigation system used when there is internet - and use the most up-to-date map data for routing, except when there isn't internet access.

Now, will Tesla officially confirm what they are doing - (finally) addressing a long time request from S/X owners?

It's encouraging Tesla is (finally) investing in a replacement for the quick-time-to-market system using Navigon data/routing software, Tesla trip planner/user interface, Google maps and TomTom speed limits.
You forgot that they also use Intrix to find about average segment speeds and accidents (to draw the multicolored traffic speed lines and offer detours).
Note that this thing here under discussion just replaces Navigon with Tesla Maps, all the rest (google tiles for cid display, intrix, another speed limits solution and such) still stays in place.

Since FSD will rely on the navigation system, this is something Tesla needed to be working on - before they start doing serious development and testing for FSD.
This is a totally separate thing that they are also working on. ape has (will have I mean) it's own maps that would be separately downloaded as needed and cached locally.

@verygreen can you give a technical explanation of what you did here? I read the original article but it was light on details so I'm a bit confused as to what is going on.

From my understanding, it seems that there are:
1) Taiwan maps data with new navigation engine
2) US maps data with old navigation engine
Is what you did basically to couple the TW engine with the US maps? If so, how does model 3 fit into the picture here?

Thanks

@ricebucket No, the new maps have been available on the M3 for sometime, @verygreen posted an article a while ago where he switched them out and has been speaking the last few releases about new pieces and parts making it into the x/s firmwares in prep for the maps. He not so simply got the it from the m3 somehow and then just replaced his map with the new maps which are present in the m3.