Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! New voice and maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
telling me to access a model 3 to somehow access it's software isn't very helpful or informative. he may know his stuff but suggestions like he offered are useless.

I'm not so sure, because if you had the tools / expertise I suspect what he said would be very helpful. Just like nobody will tell you how to gain root access, they merely say there are ways.... This way Tesla / the Mothership doesn't close the holes folks are using to access the guts and get us all this great information.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I'm not so sure, because if you had the tools / expertise I suspect what he said would be very helpful. Just like nobody will tell you how to gain root access, they merely say there are ways.... This way Tesla / the Mothership doesn't close the holes folks are using to access the guts and get us all this great information.

Fair point too.

I don't have my car yet so I'm a bit confused about how the navigation works. Does it currently use onboard Navigon maps for directions/navigation and for the maps display in the binnacle, but uses online Google Maps for displaying the maps on the large screen? I saw a review a while ago which stated the navigation doesn't work at all if you don't have cellular connectivity. Is this no longer the case with additional on-board Navigon maps so you can still use navigation without LTE?

I don't have my car yet so I'm a bit confused about how the navigation works. Does it currently use onboard Navigon maps for directions/navigation and for the maps display in the binnacle, but uses online Google Maps for displaying the maps on the large screen? I saw a review a while ago which stated the navigation doesn't work at all if you don't have cellular connectivity. Is this no longer the case with additional on-board Navigon maps so you can still use navigation without LTE?

Maps worked for me without internet (it stores tiles but I've seen gray box issues that might/might not have had to do with internet connectivity).

I think @verygreen mentioned the various databases tied together to do the navigation. Its quite a group.

• Helpful
Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
Y
You're correct about Navigon for the map display on the IC and navigation, and Google maps on the large screen. You can still navigate without cell connection-- that's why the Navigon maps are in the car.

• Helpful
FYI @verygreen is the @wk057 of AP2+ and related software.

He knows stuff.

I'm pretty sure @wk057 could work his particular brand of expertise on AP2 as well (and has toyed around with it from some recent posts) but it so beyond f'd right now why bother?

@verygreen seems to be on that level which is quite amazing in and of itself. I'm grateful they even bother to throw us some bones. Seeing the backend of AP2 was cool.

One thing about the second image in the maps article was that it seemed to show the correct side of the road which is something this current navigation is clueless about. That would be a cool feature.

@verygreen seems very very deep into the software. Not sure, if he's hacked the HW the same way @wk057 has, but still both masters and deserve our respect and admiration for the bones they throw us. I would be very much in the dark if not for these folks, because Tesla has turned into cricketville. Granted I kinda like that, I'm sick of hearing of deadlines and watching them pass by like tumble weeds in the desert.

I don't have my car yet so I'm a bit confused about how the navigation works. Does it currently use onboard Navigon maps for directions/navigation and for the maps display in the binnacle, but uses online Google Maps for displaying the maps on the large screen?

That's the way it has worked, yes. I believe Tesla has been in the process of changing the navigation maps provider, though.

• Helpful
@verygreen can you give a technical explanation of what you did here? I read the original article but it was light on details so I'm a bit confused as to what is going on.

From my understanding, it seems that there are:
1) Taiwan maps data with new navigation engine
2) US maps data with old navigation engine
Is what you did basically to couple the TW engine with the US maps? If so, how does model 3 fit into the picture here?
It's opretty much as explained alredy.
The car has 3 different navigation engines: Navigon for EU,NA and Australia, electrobits (for Japan?) and Tesla Maps for Taiwan.
The engine used is selected based on what maps you have loaded (and your region, but that's encoded in the maps).

Tesla Maps is the new engine. And it appears Model 3 uses Tesla Maps too, as such they also have a copy of the maps for North America on those cars.
So basically once you get a copy of Model 3 maps (it's an internet connected car so don't need physical access) and replace the maps in your model S/X with the Model 3 maps - the navigation engine is switched and you get to try the new one.
Or if you are living in Taiwan, you are already using the new engine (but have nothing to compare to because you did not get to try the old engine).

My comparison was not meant to take anything away from @wk057. Simply a shorthand for @verygreen 's caliber (in the software sphere).
To tell you the truth, wk is waay better than me in many regards.
And it does pay to have ability in both hardware and software, brings you to a whole new level.
What I am doing is rather pedestrian, I am just in luck to have access to proper bits.

You forgot that they also use Intrix to find about average segment speeds and accidents (to draw the multicolored traffic speed lines and offer detours).
Note that this thing here under discussion just replaces Navigon with Tesla Maps, all the rest (google tiles for cid display, intrix, another speed limits solution and such) still stays in place.

When you are driving on a road with no speed limit signs (some local roads) or unreadable signs (New Jersey Tpke with overhead electronic signs) does the speed limit sign that shows up on the IC come from TomTom or Navigon?

When you are driving on a road with no speed limit signs (some local roads) or unreadable signs (New Jersey Tpke with overhead electronic signs) does the speed limit sign that shows up on the IC come from TomTom or Navigon?
Speed limits is from a different database.
There are too many maps in this car:
- The image on CID is tiles taken from Google Maps.
- The offline navigation is navigon (or tesla maps, or electrobit depending on region).
- The route planner is some proprietary thing, your car tells Tesla where it plans to go and Tesla tells your car which superchargers to stop at.
- There's also Inrix service to query speed of traffic flow and accidents
- There's also TomTom (and before something else) for map of speed limits database (this is how your car knows what's the current speed limit is (or at least was some time ago).
- And there's going to be yet something else for autopilot maps.

BTW there are another interesting differences.
With Navigon the routing software is running on IC itself, it just tells CID what to display and also outputs audio directly to CID to play out.
With Tesla Maps the routing software and the speech server are all on the CID, IC just displays what it's told (probably why it's smoother?)