Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: I got the upgrade notice on my screen this morning (first update I've received owning the car). With the length of my commute, my car usually charges from 7:00 PM (when Off-Peak rates kick in) until about 6:00 am, and then I leave the house at around 7:30 am. Can or should I schedule the update to run during the charging cycle? I have the amperage dialed down on the touchscreen due to (temporary) circuit limitations. If it updates part way through, will it remember to continue charging at the reduced rate?

In general, should you have the car plugged in when installing updates? (PCs, smartphones and such generally recommend being plugged in during updates).

If I were you, I'd run the update as soon as you get home from work.... The updates from what I gather only take 20 mins, so if you get home at 6pm (just a guess) the car will still be updated and ready to charge before 7pm. (Be sure to double check the amperage before starting the charge).

Question: I got the upgrade notice on my screen this morning (first update I've received owning the car). With the length of my commute, my car usually charges from 7:00 PM (when Off-Peak rates kick in) until about 6:00 am, and then I leave the house at around 7:30 am. Can or should I schedule the update to run during the charging cycle? I have the amperage dialed down on the touchscreen due to (temporary) circuit limitations. If it updates part way through, will it remember to continue charging at the reduced rate?

In general, should you have the car plugged in when installing updates? (PCs, smartphones and such generally recommend being plugged in during updates).

For me vin #4517, updated this morning in about 20 minutes from 4.2 to 4.3 (1.25.45) Just for grins I stayed in the car while it was happening. Amusing to watch all the little things going on and off. This is also my first software update.

I received 4.3 a few days ago, and set the schedule to charge shortly before I leave for work (a few hours, as I have a 75Amp OpenEVSE, and it charges quickly). Since 4.3, the charging current has been lowered down to 60Amps (seemingly by Tesla), I reset it to "75A" last night after plugging in (that's what the EVSE is communicating to the car on the pilot signal).. this morning it was down to 60Amps (again). I know Tesla is having issues with the HPWC (blowing internal fuses), I have no issue with my 75A OpenEVSE... Anyone have any ideas to force it to stay at 75A using the timer? I charge a few hours before going to work to leave the pack in a lower SOC overnight, and minimize the time at a "standard" charge (%90 SOC) (yes, I am babying the pack more than I need to, but why not...)

I charge a few hours before going to work to leave the pack in a lower SOC overnight, and minimize the time at a "standard" charge (%90 SOC) (yes, I am babying the pack more than I need to, but why not...)

In one of the Tesla's online "Video Walkthrough"'s, they say the standard charge is 85%. Is that perhaps a 4.3 change as well, that the standard charge level was reduced from 90% to 85%?

I ran the 4.3 update when I got home from work. I went inside for a bit and when I came back it was all done. I immediately went out again to mail a letter and grab a coffee and noticed two things: my funky turn signal is fixed and working fine, and (this is weird) I can now hear the so-called "high pitch whine" both when starting out and when under re-gen. If the whine is a coincidence, it's a pretty good one! I don't find it in any way objectionable, but it was a very noticeable "not there before/there after" thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I charge a few hours before going to work to leave the pack in a lower SOC overnight, and minimize the time at a "standard" charge (%90 SOC) (yes, I am babying the pack more than I need to, but why not...)

I charge mine at a lower rate so that it's done within an hour or so of heading out. Not sure if that's better or worse, but in the colder weather, I liked the idea of having the battery pack warmed (which, of course, your solution would do too - I just don't have the capacity for higher current charging right now).

In one of the Tesla's online "Video Walkthrough"'s, they say the standard charge is 85%. Is that perhaps a 4.3 change as well, that the standard charge level was reduced from 90% to 85%?

Norbert, not sure what the "standard" SOC is now, the miles display shows 245 now, but that has more to do with no time for the "vampire" loads to run the SOC down (I used to plug in when I got home, and it would top off immediately, then run down overnight).
Now since the charge finishes within about 30-60 minutes before leaving, the miles display is greater.
It doesn't appear they changed the standard charge level at all, really.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to stay at 75A, there doesn't appear to be a way with this update, they are adjusting it down to 60A no matter what I've tried using the delay timer.

Edit: after I plugged in just now, I manually adjusted the amperage, when I increased it beyond 60, I got the HPWC warning, after I cleared the warning, it did let me adjust it to 75A, I'll check with the remote app in the morning to see what rate it's actually charging at...

Last edited:
4.3 update!!

Just got the latest update… we now have the ability to choose the time of charging! It is also connected to the GPS so it is location dependent! That was THE BIG update for 4.3. Nothing much else… but something we have all been waiting for...

photo-7.jpg

That would be great news, but I wonder what impact warmer weather is having on loss?

Temperatures have remained pretty consistent at night here in the low 30's before and after the update... and after 2 nights with 4.3, I "lost" only 5 miles. I'm sure if I was still on 4.2 it would have been closer to a 15 mile loss.

Remember that the 4.3 update includes the "adjustment" to the rated range display to account for a cold pack....

Aaron

I installed the update earlier today - in addition to what everyone has commented on, I have also noticed that opening and closing the sun roof from the steering wheel push button controls has improved - there is no longer a significant delay from the time you start scrolling to the time the roof moves.