Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the crazy-expensive peak-rates of TOU plans, I really hope we can disable the "Battery Support" feature... If not in this version, hopefully the next... Especially important when it comes to summer-time mid-day pre-cooling in the garage, which will land squarely in the peak period...

EDIT: Now that I think about it.. Maybe have it linked to the "scheduled charging" feature...

I find the name of the feature misleading. It should be called "shore power support" or "direct power support".

I'm still not loving the percentage gage, it ruins the beautiful simplicity of the old setting. Tesla, just give me a number I can "set and forget" that equals the standard charge and maximum battery health, please.

I love the new feature. I'll probably be charging to 65-70% at home on a daily basis. More than enough for all daily driving, better for the battery, and makes it possible for me to charge all day at work thus charging less at home.

I'm still not loving the percentage gage, it ruins the beautiful simplicity of the old setting. Tesla, just give me a number I can "set and forget" that equals the standard charge and maximum battery health, please.

That'll be the default 90%, and they put an indent in the slider bar so you don't have to worry.

I love the new feature. I'll probably be charging to 65-70% at home on a daily basis. More than enough for all daily driving, better for the battery, and makes it possible for me to charge all day at work thus charging less at home.

This... discrepancy/confusion is what I referred to (bolding mine).

But hopefully, the indent Nigel mentions will be as clear as the old "standard" setting (but if 90% is the recommended setting, what kind of an edge case scenario do you have to be in where it makes sense to do anything less?).

I'm just concerned that these advanced settings, requested by (some) EV enthusiasts, are what will scare off the main stream prospective buyers.

This... discrepancy/confusion is what I referred to (bolding mine).

But hopefully, the indent Nigel mentions will be as clear as the old "standard" setting (but if 90% is the recommended setting, what kind of an edge case scenario do you have to be in where it makes sense to do anything less?).

I think the example where you pay to charge in one location, but not another seems reasonable. If the office gives free access to charging, maybe one would want a full charge there, and only a minimal charge at home.

I'm just concerned that these advanced settings, requested by (some) EV enthusiasts, are what will scare off the main stream prospective buyers.

I agree. It needs to be "set and forget" for most users.

2) Assuming that charging to 90% only costs a mile or two per year compared to charging at 50%, I think most users would be better served charging to 90%

In the 3 months I've owned my Tesla only 2 times have I ever used more than 40% of my battery capacity, and both those times I chose to range charge even with the current system. I'm happy enough to set it to 75% instead of 90% on a daily basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly from a UI/UX perspective, this is a significant step backwards and I expect we'll see another attempt at this screen soon.

It does seem like "Standard" "Range" and "Custom" might be better than always having a slider.

In the 3 months I've owned my Tesla only 2 times have I ever used more than 40% of my battery capacity, and both those times I chose to range charge even with the current system. I'm happy enough to set it to 75% instead of 90% on a daily basis.

- - - Updated - - -

It does seem like "Standard" "Range" and "Custom" might be better than always having a slider.

Yes, I prefer that. This would be a fun UX assignment -- since new owners who are not early adopters or gear heads have no clue what they should be selecting. The combination that comes to mind for me is, "Everyday Driving, Road Trip, and Special" with a more verbose description of what each does below. My guess is that the first two would be reasonably well understood by many. The Custom / Special / Advanced one is always the challenge -- you want people who need the advanced option to feel free to use it, but you don't want them using it unnecessarily.

Has anyone used the iOS or Android app with 4.5? I wonder if standard and max charging are still present on the app (I bet they are until the app gets updated)...if so, does choosing standard on the app affect the slider in the car? if so, what percent gets chosen?

The Android app still doesn't have support for delayed charging, so I really doubt it would be aware of variable charging...

Has anyone used the iOS or Android app with 4.5? I wonder if standard and max charging are still present on the app (I bet they are until the app gets updated)...if so, does choosing standard on the app affect the slider in the car? if so, what percent gets chosen?