Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Note:

I carved out several pages of discussion on charge percentage and what the ideal should be. It's a valid, separate (and longer) discussion now in the Battery and Charging section with this title - What-should-my-ideal-charge-%age-be?-(FWv4-5)

The transition may not be ideal but it helps keep the battery discussion separate from the UI discussion going forward. Please continue to use this thread for firmware discussion.

I wish they had spent more effort on solving this and bring sleep mode back, rather than on granular battery sliders...

Rarely are things so either/or. More likely they have people working on the power-management issues, but those people have not finished the job. Meanwhile, other people are working on other tasks in parallel and those get released when they appear to be ready. Throwing ever more manhours at a task does not get it done more quickly every time, and the fact that one task is very important does not mean it should be the only thing to receive attention.

I have 60 kWh Model S.

Since the 4.5 patch I noticed two things:

The dashboard "kw" power draw indicator used to go 160 to 320. Now it goes from 160 to 240.

I also noticed that during hard acceleration, I don't hear a whine anymore (like the air coming out of a balloon).

I'm not sure if this is because Tesla lowered the maximum output (which would affect my acceleration), or some other tweak.

Has anyone else noticed these changes?

I can check if my S60 ever uses more than 240kW now (on V4.4) and again after I get the V4.5 upgrade. If anyone else knows for sure please speak up.

Last edited:
Tesla may also have a reason for the charge slider that has nothing to do with customer UI. For example, it may be a way around new DOT rules that rate EV range by averaging high and "standard" charge modes; that could be a reason why getting it in to, say, all 2013 cars by a certain date may be important. It may also be why it's the standard UI, rather than an advanced option.

Just guessing. I have no idea if the slider is good enough to get around that rating rule or not. But I, for one, welcome the slider...

I have 60 kWh Model S.

Since the 4.5 patch I noticed two things:

The dashboard "kw" power draw indicator used to go 160 to 320. Now it goes from 160 to 240.

I also noticed that during hard acceleration, I don't hear a whine anymore (like the air coming out of a balloon).

I'm not sure if this is because Tesla lowered the maximum output (which would affect my acceleration), or some other tweak.

Has anyone else noticed these changes?

I have a new Tesla Model S 60 kWh with system 4.4 and to verify the kW power used I went for a little full power test drive. Even though the dash shows 320 kW the dial never gets near the 320 kW mark and actually it's below the "tick" before the 320 kW. I have noticed this before and just wanted to verify. If you look at the Battery and Performance specs for the Model S on the Tesla website it states the following...

Peak Motor Power
60 kWh: 302 hp (225 kW)
85 kWh: 362 hp (270 kW)
85 kWh Performance: 416 hp: (310 kW)

Therefore it makes sense that the 60 kWh battery Model S maxes out at 240 kW. I haven't seen the gauge with v4.5 yet but I'm hoping that they expanded it so that the "needle" has more travel since the range has been expanded. As for me, I will update as soon as I get the notice!

I have a new Tesla Model S 60 kWh with system 4.4 and to verify the kW power used I went for a little full power test drive. Even though the dash shows 320 kW the dial never gets near the 320 kW mark and actually it's below the "tick" before the 320 kW. I have noticed this before and just wanted to verify. If you look at the Battery and Performance specs for the Model S on the Tesla website it states the following...

Peak Motor Power
60 kWh: 302 hp (225 kW)
85 kWh: 362 hp (270 kW)
85 kWh Performance: 416 hp: (310 kW)

Therefore it makes sense that the 60 kWh battery Model S maxes out at 240 kW. I haven't seen the gauge with v4.5 yet but I'm hoping that they expanded it so that the "needle" has more travel since the range has been expanded. As for me, I will update as soon as I get the notice!

I have many days worth of log data on my 60 kWh car and my peak power is 231 kW. Tesla is just fixing the display to be better for us 60 kWh owners. It's the same thing they did previously with the speedometer topping out at a lower value on our less powerful cars (120 mph in this case).

My car has updated twice:

4.5 (1.33.43) - Received last night (2 hour est update)

4.5 (1.33.44) - Received this afternoon (45 min est update)

Everything seemed to be working fine with both releases on my car - P85 delivered in April, so these were the first updates since I've had the car.

1.33.44 ... it would be nice to know what problem was found and fixed.

I'm pretty sure Tesla avoids listing all bug fixes because the media will intentionally take those bug reports out of context just to make the company look bad.

Example fix: "Bug fixed where doors sometimes don't lock when blah blah blah..."
Media spin: "Model S doesn't lock it's doors. Car is unsafe and a bad investment, blah blah"