Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the 1.59.56 update last night and just noticed that the comfort setting for the pano roof has changed from 80% to 75%. You can't get to 80% from the scroll wheel any more but you can from the touchscreen. Not an issue for me; just an observation.

Model S owners in the DC Metro area have had a rather longstanding issue with Voice Control not working. Apparently the issue is focused only on the DC area and has something to do with problems on the AT&T/Google end. Tesla came up with a patch that they would send to your car to fix the issue, but as soon as you rebooted the screens or installed a new flavor of firmware, the patch was broken and you had to call your local SC to have the mothership resend the patch.

I am very happy to report that the SC informed that 5.11 (1.59.56) includes a permanent fix for the DC Voice Control issue. I had it installed two days ago and the problem seems to be fixed. I have rebooted the screens a few times and Voice Control still works. Yipee.

WOW! I had no idea it was a local issue. I can't wait to jump in the car to see if it's fixed since I just got updated too recently. Thanks for the info as I too have just about given up on it. :smile:

I received the 1.59.56 update last night and just noticed that the comfort setting for the pano roof has changed from 80% to 75%. You can't get to 80% from the scroll wheel any more but you can from the touchscreen. Not an issue for me; just an observation.
Thank you for reporting.
The same here in The Netherlands. Two days ago my P85 with dual loaders (but not with the 32A hardware fix yet, so still 26 Amp max) received 1.59.56 OTA.
I also noticed a change in charging :
I am charging from a privat dedicated 3 phase 230 Volt outlet with a 3x 25 Amp capacity. For safety reasons I always have the Tesla charge wheel on 3x 24A.
After starting charging the Tesla always increased in a couple of minutes to the max of 3x 24 Amp.
However after this recent OTA update it never increases beyond 3x 20A. So for me it is a downgrade from 3x 24A to 3x 20A (with 1.59.56).

I can't get it from the touch screen either. As soon as I lift my finger off the screen it jumps to 75%.

Does the roof open to the same position as before? Those percentages were always suspect. Vent is not 12% open either.

One change I do notice on v5.11 is support for unicode/Asian characters for the first time. On v5.9, all I saw were boxes for each of the characters.

^This! I don't know why it took two years to get support for unicode, but it's now my favorite 'feature' of 5.11. I've spent an inordinate amount of time tagging my music files. I gave up on waiting for v6.0 after a year of ownership and went back through my library to eliminate special characters.

I was charging next to another model S this evening at a public EVSE. The car caught my eye because the dashboard was still lit up showing the charging status. Is this a 5.11 change? My car is still on 5.9 and the dashboard went off as soon as I locked the car.

^This! I don't know why it took two years to get support for unicode, but it's now my favorite 'feature' of 5.11. I've spent an inordinate amount of time tagging my music files. I gave up on waiting for v6.0 after a year of ownership and went back through my library to eliminate special characters.

Still a long way to go. As I mentioned in my post, the characters show up nicely now, but categorizing (doesn't show up in album/artist/etc) and playback controls (no playtime and progress slider) are still lacking. Those were working in previous versions but is now broken.

Ugh, that will be annoying. When it's hot the first thing I do when I get in is open the roof to 100% using the steering wheel, open the windows, and drive off. Messing with the main screen will anger me. They already took away the ability to open the windows with the key. If things follow on this course, all windows will remain permanently closed (joking, obviously).

The 80% (75%) "Comfort" setting only really applies if your windows are closed. If they're open, there's no uncomfortable buffeting that I've noticed at 100%.

Ugh, that will be annoying. When it's hot the first thing I do when I get in is open the roof to 100% using the steering wheel, open the windows, and drive off. Messing with the main screen will anger me. They already took away the ability to open the windows with the key. If things follow on this course, all windows will remain permanently closed (joking, obviously).

The 80% (75%) "Comfort" setting only really applies if your windows are closed. If they're open, there's no uncomfortable buffeting that I've noticed at 100%.

How spoiled are we that pressing "controls" and sliding a sliding bar (vs. old school turning a crank, or new school holding a button on roof until desired %) is such a hassle?;)
By "we", I mean me too, of course!

funny thing I noticed yesterday - my first experience at "comfort" 75% vs 80% - is that I now get buffeting and find it LESS comfortable than previously. Ach, can't please everybody, but I wonder who on earth is asking for these changes, since I certainly have not seen a clamor to change "comfort" setting on forum.

How spoiled are we that pressing "controls" and sliding a sliding bar (vs. old school turning a crank, or new school holding a button on roof until desired %) is such a hassle?;)

funny thing I noticed yesterday - my first experience at "comfort" 75% vs 80% - is that I now get buffeting and find it LESS comfortable than previously. Ach, can't please everybody, but I wonder who on earth is asking for these changes, since I certainly have not seen a clamor to change "comfort" setting on forum.

I got the 5.11 update last night and that's exactly my experience with the sunroof, 75% gives more buffeting than 80%. I haven't been able to select anything in the range from 75-90% even using the slider - they seem to have created a dead zone.

I got the 5.11 update last night and that's exactly my experience with the sunroof, 75% gives more buffeting than 80%. I haven't been able to select anything in the range from 75-90% even using the slider - they seem to have created a dead zone.

I heard it was to protect us from road hazards larger than 75% of a pano roof falling from the sky!

It's a minor complaint. No doubt about that. It's certainly made worse by the fact that we *used* to have these great features that made things easier, and then one day they're just gone and to get the same functionality you have to do something more complicated. Losing them is more painful than never having them in the first place.

Gizmo, not sure if this what part of your sarcasm above, but to be clear: you can still open/close the pano roof with the click wheel. It just goes to 75% instead of 80% (or so some say....I just haven't noticed the difference).

After 5 days of use, 5.11 (.56) has been solid for me so far.

It's a minor complaint. No doubt about that. It's certainly made worse by the fact that we *used* to have these great features that made things easier, and then one day they're just gone and to get the same functionality you have to do something more complicated. Losing them is more painful than never having them in the first place.

Indeed. There seems to be a trend of removing existing features in the last few updates (or at least making the same operation more complex).

Why is Tesla doing this? Was it just because all the features were shiny and new when the car was first released that we though they were so good, or is Tesla actually making the car worse while claiming to be making it better?

Indeed. There seems to be a trend of removing existing features in the last few updates (or at least making the same operation more complex).

Why is Tesla doing this? Was it just because all the features were shiny and new when the car was first released that we though they were so good, or is Tesla actually making the car worse while claiming to be making it better?

I'm still upset they took the 15% setting away. I don't have 5.11 yet, anyone check to see if the 15% setting came back?

I've noticed another minor change in Media that affects name sorting. In prior firmware versions articles (A or The) were ignored in Artist names so they were alphabetized based on the next word. For example, The Black Keys was sorted right before Black Kids. Now it seems like all names prefixed with an article are sorted together before names without a prefix. I prefer that the articles be ignored so all of The Rolling Stone's songs group together whether I tagged them correctly with or without the article.