Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received 5.12 (1.64.38) during the interim service. I just realized that the Traditional Chinese characters and Japanese characters from the media player can now be displayed. Before the update, all of these fonts were displayed as checked/unchecked checkboxes. It was my long-desired feature as most of my MP3s come with Traditional Chinese ID3 tags, and some Tunein radio stations have Japanese tags too.

I haven't confirmed if the Simplified Chinese fonts and Korean fonts in the ID3 tags can also be displayed but I believe they can. Also, I haven't checked if the in-car web browser can now display these fonts (I rarely use the browser anyway, too sluggish...).

To Mod: You may want to add "Support of Asian language fonts in the Media Player" to the release note of this firmware version.

P.S. BTW, whoever said the latest release has added the # of Homelink remotes, that's not true on mine. I still only have up to 3 Homelink remotes but not more than that.

For me, 5.12 has been a problem. As noted in earlier posts, the first download created problems connecting from the IOS app. I also had one experience with the control screen going blank. Had a new build reinstalled at the Service Center (build .24) and it seemed to fix the app problem, but screen was going blank or freezing. A reboot fixed it each time. Last week the screen froze with a Car Needs Service warning at the top of the screen (red bar across the top of the screen). Again, a reboot cleared the message.

Today the the service center pushed build .38 to the car, and I installed this afternoon. Hopefully this will fix the glitches until 6 is released.

To Mod: You may want to add "Support of Asian language fonts in the Media Player" to the release note of this firmware version.

I added it but note that the changelog is a wiki and is open to everyone to update directly.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. BTW, whoever said the latest release has added the # of Homelink remotes, that's not true on mine. I still only have up to 3 Homelink remotes but not more than that.

IIRC the point was that it works with a greater variety of remotes, not that you can register more remotes on your car.

Boy, Slacker is just not getting along with 5.12 for me .... MCU froze then a strange reboot with the reverse camera remaining on ...

20140825_115144.jpg

Boy, Slacker is just not getting along with 5.12 for me .... MCU froze then a strange reboot with the reverse camera remaining on ...

Slacker problem here too-- I had 5.12 (1.64.38) installed last week and this morning I when I started driving I had a "Slacker unavailable" message, rebooted the center screen and it worked fine. I don't think it was connectivity problem as 3G was 5 bars and I had Google maps displayed fine.

I have received 5.12 (1.64.38) during the interim service. I just realized that the Traditional Chinese characters and Japanese characters from the media player can now be displayed. Before the update, all of these fonts were displayed as checked/unchecked checkboxes

Is this now fully working? I am on 5.11 (1.59.56), with a bunch of stuff with Japanese characters on my USB stick (ripped from CDs with Itunes). In my car, everything _displays_ OK, but it won't index anything that has Japanese in the artist name:

- All of the music can be found via 'browse by folder', including folder/file names with Japanese chars.
- None of the Japanese content can be found under browse-by-artist or browse-by-album.
- A few of the songs with the artist set to 'Unknown' (in English!) then show up under 'browse by song', even though the song title is in Japanese.

5.12 (1.64.38) keeping car awake more? Prior to .38 it was rare to find the care awake but since last week 20% of the time its awake, I have been waiting 4+ hours so its had plenty of time to sleep.

12V battery was replaced if that can be the issue.

5.12 here and slacker is dead for past three days. Anyone find a solution yet?

Re-Boot?

I have found over my past 15 months of ownership, and across several firmware versions, that Slacker (and often the maps) will just stop working even though I show a strong 3G signal. A re-boot always brings it back for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Log out of Slacker. Reboot MCU. Restore Slacker after you get a 3G signal.

I have not had to log out, and don't have the Tesla credentials to log back in if I did.

Re-Boot?

I have found over my past 15 months of ownership, and across several firmware versions, that Slacker (and often the maps) will just stop working even though I show a strong 3G signal. A re-boot always brings it back for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not had to log out, and don't have the Tesla credentials to log back in if I did.

The problem happens when you go out of AT&T range and you try to play a song. In the apps/media player screen, it allows you to restore tesla credentials.
Gory details here

Bizarre start up on software v 5.12

This was a few days ago, just got around to uploading my video.
Story is this was Monday afternoon, I work Sunday nights, get home around noon to sleep and this Monday had chosen to plug in to top up charge before going to bed. My wife used my S to pick up kids at school (4 mile round trip) while I slept then maybe 30-45 min later I got up and got in the car to do some more kid shuffling and found my main display and one side of the dash display black. I tried the usual reset, but it didn't work like usual, as you'll see in the video. I never got the normal "wake up" "T" on the main screen and the dash display did some really odd things. FWIW, the car had just had it's 3rd "annual" service 10 days before.

Last edited by a moderator: