Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firmware 5.8.6/7/8

Any idea what changed? I just got mine back from service this am and there's already another one our. Bah!

Nothing obvious so far. Sorry if this was reported up thread but, one thing that I did see with 5.8.8 in the P85 loaner that I got was a warning when I got into the car about the charging level being set beyond the Standard mark (I charged it a bit past that to return the loaner with a full standard charge after the drive back) - a warning that charging often beyond standard can result in reduced battery life and such.

5.8.10 may have fixed the weird rated range calculations that some have reported with 5.8.9.

5.8.10 may have fixed the weird rated range calculations that some have reported with 5.8.9.

IIRC, there was only 1 report and that was from a member who had upgraded his battery from 60 to 85 kWh. He/She was on version 5.8.8 btw; there haven't been any reports of owners receiving .9 yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Note: thread title updated to reflect that 5.8.10 is now confirmed as being in the wild.

Man, I must be at the back of the bus here. I got 5.8.8 (.90 flavor) two days ago.

It did solve my problem of the app not connecting.

However, it looks like slacker is significantly worse. About twice the stuttering and a lot more dropped songs in the middle. But the worst is something new to me, it will play a couple of seconds of a song and then skip on the next one. This has happened quite a few times now. It seems like it's taking longer to load the next song but that may just be my perception.

Another new problem happened today. I had dropped some one off and was backing up when the shocks pumped up - I was going about 2 miles an hour in reverse on level ground. When I looked at the center console, it was blank. Then a big Tesla T came on, it went blank again and a different, black background Tesla T came on. It acted like a reboot had been done. However, my slacker searches weren't erased so it wasn't exactly a reboot. Not exactly giving me a high degree on confidence.

My Model S wouldn't connect with my iPhone last week prior to 5.8.8. TM had me disconnect the phone from the car, the car from the phone, reboot the car, turn phone off/ on and then reconnect to solve the problem.

Can you now play songs from your iPhone? Since updating to 5.8.8, we have had some connectivity problems with the iPhone, but even when our contacts are working we cannot play songs through the iPhone.

But more importantly, my car has been having a very hard time waking up in the morning since 5.8.8. Twice I've sat in the car with the screen in front of me on but displaying "car off," and the touchscreen completely blank. My wife also had this happen today when I was out of town. The only way to get the car to start is to do a hard boot. Something is not right with this release.

Man, I must be at the back of the bus here. I got 5.8.8 (.90 flavor) two days ago.

It did solve my problem of the app not connecting.

However, it looks like slacker is significantly worse. About twice the stuttering and a lot more dropped songs in the middle. But the worst is something new to me, it will play a couple of seconds of a song and then skip on the next one. This has happened quite a few times now. It seems like it's taking longer to load the next song but that may just be my perception.

Another new problem happened today. I had dropped some one off and was backing up when the shocks pumped up - I was going about 2 miles an hour in reverse on level ground. When I looked at the center console, it was blank. Then a big Tesla T came on, it went blank again and a different, black background Tesla T came on. It acted like a reboot had been done. However, my slacker searches weren't erased so it wasn't exactly a reboot. Not exactly giving me a high degree on confidence.

people have had slacker issues quite frequently after updating, but rebooting has typically helped. Have you tried that?

i haven't received any plates since the initial 5.8.4. I've even been at the service center a few times when updates were released. I even heard one guy call in and ask for a recent update after it had been posted here, and it didnt cross my mind to ask myself.

i wonder what the method to the madness is. Probably testing things out behind the scenes and need random sampling s of cars. Maybe even a variety of slightly different ride heights or speeds of transition. Maybe it's for features that are newer than my car (folding mirrors, parking sensors, cold weather).

I just installed 5.8.8 today and was hoping I'd see charging improvements. With the last update my 40 amp charge rate dropped to 30 amps. Now I'm down to 16 amps. I know they throttled so you couldn't start a wiring fire, but I had my wiring checked and it was in spec for a full 40 amp draw...

@gb,

Is your DIP switch set to 40A or 50A? 40A will only give you 32A of continuous current.

It's set to 50. Before 5.8.4 I always got 40 amps. After the update that everyone was pushed in December (the "recall update") I automatically got switched down to 30 amps within 30 minutes of starting a charge. Now with 5.8.8 I hot right to 16 amps, and though it charged last night to my predetermined level my charging circle was red this morning...