Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Tesla should be able to do much better on their software releases. It's taking way too long for major functionality to be implemented and deployed - they are considerably behind other auto manufacturers in areas such as navigation and entertainment features. And the more frequent "point" releases seem to have frequent problems, requiring additional point releases.

While I agree that Tesla's navigation and entertainment systems could use some improvement, you seem to be forgetting that they are way ahead of the competition in a lot of areas. Most vehicles cannot be updated without, at best, a service center visit. Typically, if you want current refinements or features, the only solution is to buy a new vehicle that incorporates them. An outdated vehicle will always be that way.

Just to add ... my 2014 Chevy Truck .. with GM's latest Mylink. I cannot verify what the current release is (although I can see the current version I have). When I called GM, I was told (after several folks had no idea) that I would get a card in the mail when a new release was out. WTF!?!?!??!? A card in the mail?

Nav on the new ride: I have to order a DVD for $200+ whenever I want an update which I have to track down myself.

Just to add ... my 2014 Chevy Truck .. with GM's latest Mylink. I cannot verify what the current release is (although I can see the current version I have). When I called GM, I was told (after several folks had no idea) that I would get a card in the mail when a new release was out. WTF!?!?!??!? A card in the mail?

Nav on the new ride: I have to order a DVD for $200+ whenever I want an update which I have to track down myself.

ps just returning from dropping X1 off at bmw for service. I had two mailings for my vin re a recall. Despite the evidence, they said I didn't need, but there's another I do, for which no mailing. Another area tesla ahead.

FWIW..

Just spoke to someone at the Rockville SC (good guys..) and they were just informed by "HQ" that 6.0 has been delayed. Originally they thought mid-March. Now they are being told mid to late April. Additionally, the rumor is 5.8.9 and maybe even a 5.8.10 release will come before 6.0. As always, take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
5.8.8-anyone else having issues with the rear view mirror backup tilt? I've reset mine twice since the update and it isn't "taking". And yes, I was in reverse when I set them and saved. It seems to save in whatever position I leave them in, but doesn't change back for forward driving.

5.8.8-anyone else having issues with the rear view mirror backup tilt? I've reset mine twice since the update and it isn't "taking". And yes, I was in reverse when I set them and saved. It seems to save in whatever position I leave them in, but doesn't change back for forward driving.
That happened to me on the passenger side only a few months ago. I don't know what the service center did to fix it but I haven't had the problem since then.

FWIW..

Just spoke to someone at the Rockville SC (good guys..) and they were just informed by "HQ" that 6.0 has been delayed. Originally they thought mid-March. Now they are being told mid to late April. Additionally, the rumor is 5.8.9 and maybe even a 5.8.10 release will come before 6.0. As always, take this with a grain of salt.
Bah! I really want 6.0 due to a charging issue which still exists in Europe and won't be fixed until 6.0

The Model S isn't following the pilot signal correctly from the charging station, which causes some issue when you have smart charging at home (Like I do).

FWIW..

Salt shaker in hand: cue the schisos "I need it now", followed by "it's too buggy".
Whatever it takes to get it right is ok with me, 5.8.x still getting me around in style.

car went in to the service center this morning and while it was in they also uploaded 5.8.10 (1.49.95), which I hadn't seen here before. Will post release note changes, if any, when I get the car back.

I got back from a few day trip this afternoon and the car had an OTA update ready message on it. I'm already on .8, so I was hoping it was 6, but it must be .10.

I wish the update message said what the version was...

Got 5.8.10 (1.49.95) when in for a 12V battery replacement at Tesla Burlingame today:

2usuge5u.jpg

Yes, my passenger side mirror does not tilt back up sometimes.....I just got an update which is downloading now. I will report back if this fixes the issue.