Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's standard practice to roll OTA updates out in batches. For several reasons: problems are isolated to small groups and found before affecting the entire customer base,
loads for server infrastructure can be balanced, etc. The first reason has already been important in a few prior updates.

Except that was not at all the case with 5.8, which removed suspension lowering. Everyone had that update in a couple of days.

I'm still on 5.8.8. I'm also on wifi. My VIN is 16XXX. Always the last to get an update, it seems.

Except that was not at all the case with 5.8, which removed suspension lowering. Everyone had that update in a couple of days.

Agree that 5.8 was rolled out more quickly than most, but "everyone" did not get that in a couple of days. I did not get it until 2+ weeks after the blog. Good 3G reception, nightly WIFI.

5.9 is out for, what, 3 days? To all: plz be patient, you are nowhere near last to get it yet! You can start that talk around tax time. If you are in a rush, stop by a service center, they'll oblige.

Does 5.9 make any improvement to the upgraded audio package (e.g. Dolby actually works, better communication with iOS devices)?

re timing of OTA distribution, there appears to be no pattern. I believe I was an early recipient of 5.8.8, but have not received anything since then.

i do not believe they distribute only on days ending in Y, I think it is only on days that contain a "d." I also believe those of us who are left-handed are given priority.

So I have the car on Wifi, and since my router is a Debian based PC basically, I setup a script to alert me if its data usage jumps... presumably alerting me to when its downloading the update.
Is this overkill? :tongue:

I realise software updates are sometimes rolled-out gradually, but I don't believe it's the case here. After all, we're talking about a walled-garden with the Model S, so other than the small variation in the different models it's a very predictable scenario.

Also, I do believe that these updates undergo rigorous testing both in-house and by selected beta testers - we're talking about the software controlling a two-tonne missile here, you have to be more than certain there are no glitches as any bugs can result in death or serious injury.

So I don't subscribe to this idea.

But I could be wrong...

Originally Posted by jamieb
....during a utility emergency when they hike peak rates for EV users to 1-2 $/kwh in the summer.....

how do they know you are using power for ev? That seems illegal.

To qualify for the lowest rate for my utility, I installed a separate time-of-use meter for EV charging with two NEMA 14-50 plugs on either side of the garage being the only circuits on the meter. Qualifies for very low rates at off-peak times, but much higher rates during peak use and punitive rates during periods of anticipated brown-outs (e.g., serious heat wave). Common with many utilities. See: smud.org

From what I heard, you have to bring the car for some kind of service. When they fix that, they also update the firmware. You cannot just go over, and ask for an update.

By the way, even though I said I got the update notification in the afternoon, when the car was not on WiFi, the car does connect to my home WiFi whenever it is parked at home. So it's not like I never use WiFi.

Two weeks ago I was at the Service Center, and they said I had a few minor service bulletins to check (check the Pano, and one on some side trim), and I should set a appointment to have done. Yesterday I called to set the appointment, and he told me the service bulletins, and one was to upgrade to 5.9.

So if you are itching for the update, you might try calling and asking if there are any service bulletins for your car.

I realise software updates are sometimes rolled-out gradually, but I don't believe it's the case here. After all, we're talking about a walled-garden with the Model S, so other than the small variation in the different models it's a very predictable scenario.

Also, I do believe that these updates undergo rigorous testing both in-house and by selected beta testers - we're talking about the software controlling a two-tonne missile here, you have to be more than certain there are no glitches as any bugs can result in death or serious injury.

But I could be wrong...

You are obviously new to the Tesla rollout process, which IS gradual, there's not even room for conjecture and discussion on the point, there is evidence from 15+ updates since launch.

you want it when_150.jpg

Their track record of pulling updates and releasing bugs would suggest otherwise. Also, I don't know how much experience you have with software, but on a device this complex, there's always a scenario you didn't anticipate.

I've found the "hill hold" function to be slightly underwhelming. It must be looking for steeper hills than I'm thinking of. But if I'm at a traffic light up hill, it seems to sometimes do the hold for me, and sometimes not. On the same hill I get this "occasionally" behavior. It's not THAT steep, but I definitely quickly roll back. So I've found the functionality to be a bit periodic rather than very proactive about preventing roll back.

Their track record of pulling updates and releasing bugs would suggest otherwise. Also, I don't know how much experience you have with software, but on a device this complex, there's always a scenario you didn't anticipate.

I have heard that the beta testers typically get the first version of a new release 2 months before general release and see many 'bug fix/suggestions from them for changes' versions.

So I have the car on Wifi, and since my router is a Debian based PC basically, I setup a script to alert me if its data usage jumps... presumably alerting me to when its downloading the update.
Is this overkill? :tongue:

I like it. I find myself checking the car at night to see if an update came in. I think I wish that the REST interfaces could let you query for a pending update. I might even choose to initiate an update remotely if I could do so.

Service Center gave me 5.9 while the car was in for backup camera replacement, leather repair, and 12v replacement (pre-emptive on their part, I didn't request).
Just finished a 90% charge and I'm up to 175 miles (was 167 before). Have yet to see what it's at for 100%.

I like the hill hold and air suspension adjustment, but don't like how artist/album were switched around in Slacker (why even go through the trouble?), and would like to regain ability to turn off the supercharger and prior charging location pins. Didn't notice any changes to speedo (I just look at the big number) but will look for it tonight.

There is a rumor (totally unsubstantiated, IMO) that 60 kWh cars may be able to SuperCharge faster than 105 kW on 5.9.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I guess 90 kW limited 85 kWh cars may want to re-test after getting 5.9, too.