Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, do 0-60 times improve, even by .1 second, when starting from the low air suspension setting?

It´s the opposite. In theory a taller car will provide more grip up to the point where it wheelies. The wind resistance would be negligible in comparison in this case (I think). Anyway, I don´t think you will get a measurable difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the new low as low as the first low? Last low was only half as low as the first low. Get down!

How come no one said a word about the height of Low in 5.9? This is by far the most important question about this upgrade to me. They didn't just remove auto low, but also reduced the lowering from a full inch to a half. If they haven't changed this back, I'll have to get lowering links. I'd really appreciate if someone can pull out a tape measure.

Hi All -

Car was in for service on Tuesday/Wednesday (stress fracture crack finally reared its head after 14 months of owning the car) and I asked them to install 5.9

Hill hold is WONDERFUL! Works very well - and I'm still getting used to it! Also, my 80% charge went from 194/195 to 205 - very nice! Will do a test to see what my 90% and 100% range charge are as well....

My car has 29,275 miles on it.

Aaron

And did I not say that a release of firmware that brings back auto lowering signal all clear from NHTSA. Which we got today ;) And a voluntary titanium shield from Elon ;)

Yes! The titanium shield shall be my excuse to call Fremont Service Center. ;)

Now I'm curious, did anyone here with a Model S older than March 6 received the update OTA? Maybe they are only pushing the update to newer cars with the titanium shield?

Now I'm curious, did anyone here with a Model S older than March 6 received the update OTA? Maybe they are only pushing the update to newer cars with the titanium shield?

Ranger is bringing my car back now, it was in for service. They upgraded our firmware, I verified it on visible tesla. I asked about the under armor and the service center said that they have no info on it yet. They only know what we know.

There have been older cars that got the OTA update. I'm not sure anyone knows how they roll these out.

Talk about service: I spoke to Neil at the Burlingame service center first regarding the titanium shield and then mentioned how anxious I was to receive 5.9 (given how late my turn was in the past). Neil offered to update the firmware if I were to bring my car in for a couple of hours anytime. I mentioned that my current work schedule is a bit busy for that. He then said that he and another staff member can come by my office (a few miles south from the service center) in a couple of hours, pick my car up, install the update at the service center and return the car to my office!

Talk about service: I spoke to Neil at the Burlingame service center first regarding the titanium shield and then mentioned how anxious I was to receive 5.9 (given how late my turn was in the past). Neil offered to update the firmware if I were to bring my car in for a couple of hours anytime. I mentioned that my current work schedule is a bit busy for that. He then said that he and another staff member can come by my office (a few miles south from the service center) in a couple of hours, pick my car up, install the update at the service center and return the car to my office!

Although cool and awesome service to please the customer, just between you and me, that would be some kind of a waste of resource and time no ? ;)

Hi All -

Car was in for service on Tuesday/Wednesday (stress fracture crack finally reared its head after 14 months of owning the car) and I asked them to install 5.9

Hill hold is WONDERFUL! Works very well - and I'm still getting used to it! Also, my 80% charge went from 194/195 to 205 - very nice! Will do a test to see what my 90% and 100% range charge are as well....

My car has 29,275 miles on it.

Aaron

Yeah. Hill hold is great. Luv it. I was in for tire rotation and got v5.9.

It's just risky thing to do. They obviously felt that the removal of auto-lowering justified the risk of the quick roll-out, and the return of the feature did not. If you do a quick roll-out, and there's a serious bug, it's a disaster. Even if the risk of a serious bug is small, they shouldn't take the risk if there's no benefit to the company.

Not to mention that for an "emergency rollout" they might be willing to eat any data-usage surcharges associated with exceeding daily peak limits... whereas for other's they might prefer to roll them out more slowly over the 3G plan they are paying for...

I just did a completely unscientific measurement between low and standard and it looks to be around 1/2 inch, vs the .79 that it originally was.

My measuring consisted of a floor jack snugged against the front airdam (I couldn't fit it under the car anywhere else) of the car in low. Then I raised the car to standard and measured with a contractors tape measure. Wonder if we will ever get the other 1/4" back.

My measuring consisted of a floor jack snugged against the front airdam (I couldn't fit it under the car anywhere else) of the car in low. Then I raised the car to standard and measured with a contractors tape measure. Wonder if we will ever get the other 1/4" back.
The most reliable way to measure ride height across different cars is to measure from the highest point of the fender lip to center of hub. Eliminates differences in ride height due to tire size, inflation, wear, etc. Measure all 4 corners.

Knowing that there is an update out there with new features when you can not initiate the update yourself is terrible. Every time I get in the car I look at the top right of my screen... seeing that nothing has happened. Argh. Just download it already!!!

I just did a completely unscientific measurement between low and standard and it looks to be around 1/2 inch, vs the .79 that it originally was.

Yes, in the form of a titanium shield.

I've been hooked up to WiFi every night, but I was still on 5.8.8 when my Ranger visited, and he updated the car to 5.8.10. So there is really no rhyme or reason to the rollout schedule that I can detect! It seems to be randomized.
Just because you don't see the pattern, doesn't mean there isn't one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it is definitely improved. Still not fast but actually usable now. They also have added the ability for the browser to pass on the cars location, works well with the new plugshare site.
If true, this is huge and should have been in the release notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Hasn't anyone else noted the nice change to the speedo, at least on the P85 with 5.9?
No. And picture-less teases aren't appreciated by those without 5.9 .... :(

- - - Updated - - -

The fear expressed earlier about how hill hold
It's not hill hold. Please call the feature by its correct name. It definitely matters in this case.