Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say the expanded directions for Nav was not very well thought out. It ends up taking up almost the entire left side of the screen. Need a way to expand and contract for those that want to be able to see the map and not the entire route in a list.
Also, still need to move the car on the map down just a bit. Doesnt really do much good to see 1/4-1/2 of the map behind you while driving.
Otherwise, air suspension geofencing is very nice.

I don't have the release yet, but as soon as I saw this in the notes, I thought Noooo! I agree this expanded pane should be selectable. I like to use most of the screen real estate for the map when I am traveling long distances.

- - - Updated - - -

I've named the car BlueBlueCar - that's what my 2 1/2 year old has called it from the day I brought it home!

Love it! Your child has a poetic sensibility!

Yeah. That and unlock the plug.

No kidding! When approaching the Model S from the rear, one must do the "Tesla two-step", walking past the plug to the driver's door to get everything to unlock, then reversing the remove the charge cable. It's a silly little dance.

Instead, pressing the button on the charge cable should tell the car to check for proximity of a fob, and if it's detected, to unlock the charge port. This works for the trunk, and it'd be great if it did for the charge cable too.

-Dane

I have had two can't repro bugs:

- car didn't automatically lock the first time I walked away from it. I noticed this from the app. Subsequent walkways did lock the car.
- rear left passenger door wouldn't open. Handles presented, but pulling didn't release the latch. Opening the driver's door first, then opening the rear door worked.

I got the 6.0 upgrade last Friday and got in the car last night and saw a message that the maps were updated! And they are. We live in a developing area of Denver so many new roads and the lack of having some of them in the Nav stopped me from using it most of the time.

Last edited:
Anybody seen any markings that indicate when new version of maps has been downloaded?
I'm still on 5.11, no 6 yet... but yesterday AM, I got a fault "navigation system needs service, no maps loaded". A reboot fixed -- or at least eliminated message.
We know from reports that maps update is going out independent from firmware update. What I suspect is that they are not synchronized or sequenced either... maybe I got maps update before 6.0.
Not really important, just a matter of curiosity.

Interesting seeing comments about a slow roll out being good and giving a chance to find bugs and correct them.

Not too sure that makes sense.

A thorough beta test should have let you get a solid release. Rolling out gradually just means your chances of finding obscure bugs is less since you only have a small number of vehicles. If you then stop roll out and fix those bugs, you are essentially starting over.

I don't know why they just don't do a big bang (you have the option of not accepting), gather up whatever bugs are reported into a post rollout bug fix and get things done.

As it stands, there are so many firmware versions out there it's hard to understand how this can possibly be managed.

I know a phone and car are different platforms with different constraints, but Apple runs there betas over a few months, does a big bang release to millions of phones, and generally follows up within a few weeks with a bug fix for the more esoteric fixes for a complex environment.

My car was upgraded to version 6 two days ago and this morning I had the message that navigation maps were updated.

Here is is a reproducible bug- both Friday and today when I tapped the "settings" tab the sunroof opened. I didn't report the first one as I thought I must have touched something accidentally, but the same thing happened today. I used the new voice command "bug report" to report it. The instrument panel displayed "thank you for your report" in the messages area and the center screen listed two screenshots that were captured.

I recommend not going into settings to try a different energy saving setting while it's raining, as it was the first time I did this.

I know a phone and car are different platforms with different constraints, but Apple runs there betas over a few months, does a big bang release to millions of phones, and generally follows up within a few weeks with a bug fix for the more esoteric fixes for a complex environment.
I guess I would like to see a simultaneous release as well, but:

-- Apple has hundreds-of-thousands of beta testers via the internal, developer, appleseed and other beta programs. Most show-stopping problems are identified before we get to the release. Tesla has an internal beta, and apparently a few external beta testers, but still earlier releases (including 5.12) have had significant bugs that weren't found during test.
-- Apple has a finite number of platforms to test against. Tesla's is also finite, but it appears that there are hardware/driver differences, especially in the earlier models, that even they don't fully comprehend. I'm guessing Tesla is getting better at this now, but I'm not surprised they're cautious.

For now, it's probably best for them to send out 2K of updates and breathe a sigh of relief when no show-stoppers are reported.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is is a reproducible bug- both Friday and today when I tapped the "settings" tab the sunroof opened.
And I don't have that problem, which really speaks to the hardware differences between cars.

I recommend not going into settings to try a different energy saving setting while it's raining, as it was the first time I did this.

Oh dear! If it was that brutal rain we had in the last few days, you have my sympathy :|

I had my car in the shop on Friday and Saturday, and when I got it back from them it had the 6.0 update ready to install, which I did. It's nice to see a few things I wanted all along!

The geo-tracking height adjustment is very cool... and very easy to use. I use this every time I come home, to get my car over a driveway hump. Several times I have forgotten and scraped the battery pack. Now that won't happen :)

From what I've seen so far, I like the new traffic and route graphics... seems clearer.

I love the new speedometer... much more uncluttered and "pure."

One thing that seems to be a new concern... when you start up navigation to a place, it appears to spell out a lot more turns in the box on the left than it did before - i.e. you don't have to scroll the box up and down to see the list of turns. This might seem good, but I rarely look at the list of turns, and it now takes up a lot more screen space. I prefer to see the map display.

For now, it's probably best for them to send out 2K of updates and breathe a sigh of relief when no show-stoppers are reported.

Maybe it would have been better to send a release out to a few hundred serious beta testers based on car configurations and let them focus on getting it tested thoroughly then sending it out to users and hoping for "a sigh of relief".

Maybe it would have been better to send a release out to a few hundred serious beta testers based on car configurations and let them focus on getting it tested thoroughly then sending it out to users and hoping for "a sigh of relief".
Agree. But I think, they think, that's what they're doing.

(And added later:). Maybe they accomplished this for 6.0, since we haven't seen any major bug reports.

Last edited:
My car was upgraded to version 6 two days ago and this morning I had the message that navigation maps were updated.

Here is is a reproducible bug- both Friday and today when I tapped the "settings" tab the sunroof opened. I didn't report the first one as I thought I must have touched something accidentally, but the same thing happened today. I used the new voice command "bug report" to report it. The instrument panel displayed "thank you for your report" in the messages area and the center screen listed two screenshots that were captured.

I couldn't reproduce the sunroof behavior you described on 5.11, but I did notice that while touching the settings tab with my index finger, my pinky almost touched the sunroof slider. Have you ruled out double touch?

You might not have those same feelings if you were on an unstable firmware to begin with.

That's certainly true, but by watching the forums, I've been able to avoid unstable firmware. The only time you should get unstable firmware is when you take delivery of the car during a time when that's what's being installed.

- - - Updated - - -

A thorough beta test should have let you get a solid release. Rolling out gradually just means your chances of finding obscure bugs is less since you only have a small number of vehicles. If you then stop roll out and fix those bugs, you are essentially starting over.

That works if you have thousands of beta testers and not that many pieces of hardware (e.g. Apple). In Tesla's case they don't have the luxury of thousands of beta testers, and there are many differences between the cars produced. I suspect that Apple has more beta testers than Tesla has delivered cars.

That works if you have thousands of beta testers and not that many pieces of hardware (e.g. Apple). In Tesla's case they don't have the luxury of thousands of beta testers, and there are many differences between the cars produced. I suspect that Apple has more beta testers than Tesla has delivered cars.

Yeah, guess my example doesn't quite fit.

I hope they're learning how to manage this. The environment isn't going to get any simpler, and the number of vehicles is going to increase significantly. All of these subsystems for operating many of these systems should be pretty autonomous.

I think there is a pretty good supply of beta testers (who actually have done beta testing and understand what is needed) who are owners and would be anxious to help ;)