Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree. I still basically like the iPhone, but iOS 7 is willfully butt-ugly and insulting. It's especially criminal what they did to the timer app. It was so elegant before.

Disagree. The iPhone timer app before looked like a silly slot machine. New look is easier on the eyes, easier to interpret, more elegant.

Less is more.

And now back to posts saying "Regen and cruise control feel has changed dramatically" vs. posts saying "Regen and cruise control feel exactly the same as before." :)

Last edited:
Ok so why not a black background and just data in white, with no decoration at all ? Can be better after all ? I bough the car with a specific display which was perfect to me. Now after the V6 release I found it ugly, as I found ios7 graphics ugly. I am unhappy because they changed something in the design without asking me anything. The new GPS colors are just ugly too, it's like a black and white screen.
At least when changing something like this they should provide a selectable skin.
What will you say if they decide to change the color of your car the next time you go to the service center ?

I notice no difference to the regen or cruise control. Pedal response does feel smoother.

My wife locked her phone and key FOB in the car today, luckily our Daughter had her phone, she called me and I unlocked the doors. Later this evening, the car was parked in the garage and I noticed the mirrors hadn't folded inward (like the when the FOB is left inside) so I pushed the door handle and sure enough they came out.

So, I went inside the house, grabbed the FOB and locked the car, no problem everything works again. But when I unlocked from the app again this happened all over again.

To be clear, when the car is unlocked with the app, it remains unlocked (indefinitely?) until the FOB is used to lock it. I've unlocked the door with the app before and never noticed this happening...

Is this a 6.0 bug or just something we hadn't noticed before?

Just received the V6 version. I am very unhappy, they have changed the design of the speed and power meters, it is very ugly now !! Why change this kind of things which was just perfect !!?? Please just add new functionalities, or better, add what is missing in existing functions : search in phone contacts, ability to choose the shortest or fastest route on the GPS, choose if we want takes the highway or not (as any 100$ GPS !!). It will be a good starting point for new release....

It's a matter of personal taste. I don't like the skeuomorphism and love the new design. Clean and crisp to my eyes.

I have updated to v6.0. It has some cool new features.

The navigation route planning has some interesting updates.

I set a route from Sacramento to Houston, and it will plan for the shortest but stop its plan to the last supercharger on route.
I did the same to Oklahoma and it goes north to i80, and stops in Reno.

More updates are coming to the navigation, though there is still work for route planning.

I installed the update last night, and this morning after charging my Typical Range had dropped from the previous 322km (on 5.9 firmware) to 315km (at 80% SOC). Interesting, I remember reading that many had seen increased range, but mine decreased.

Based on the posts above I expected to be annoyed by the speedometer visual change, but at least in night mode the change is hardly noticeable.

My wife locked her phone and key FOB in the car today, luckily our Daughter had her phone, she called me and I unlocked the doors. Later this evening, the car was parked in the garage and I noticed the mirrors hadn't folded inward (like the when the FOB is left inside) so I pushed the door handle and sure enough they came out.

So, I went inside the house, grabbed the FOB and locked the car, no problem everything works again. But when I unlocked from the app again this happened all over again.

To be clear, when the car is unlocked with the app, it remains unlocked (indefinitely?) until the FOB is used to lock it. I've unlocked the door with the app before and never noticed this happening...

Is this a 6.0 bug or just something we hadn't noticed before?

Not sure, but I still find it confusing when the car locks on "walk away" and when it does not. After a few incidents where the car was left unlocked on a public parking, I was inspired to create a small "app" that runs on a server I have at home, which sends a notification to my phone if the car is left unlocked and in park for more than 5 minutes.
When I have "walk away lock" enabled, I want it to lock _every_ time I leave the car with the fob. It unlocks again as soon as I approach it so I see no reason for it to stay unlocked for extended periods of time.
I realize that this might not be universally true, but I think it should be an option. As it is now, it is not really intuitively obvious when the car will lock and when it will stay unlocked.

Not sure, but I still find it confusing when the car locks on "walk away" and when it does not. After a few incidents where the car was left unlocked on a public parking, I was inspired to create a small "app" that runs on a server I have at home, which sends a notification to my phone if the car is left unlocked and in park for more than 5 minutes.
When I have "walk away lock" enabled, I want it to lock _every_ time I leave the car with the fob. It unlocks again as soon as I approach it so I see no reason for it to stay unlocked for extended periods of time.
I realize that this might not be universally true, but I think it should be an option. As it is now, it is not really intuitively obvious when the car will lock and when it will stay unlocked.

That's a great idea. I also think a notification of fob left in car when you walk away and there is no one in the seats would be nice.

We were in a cold restaurant and my wife asked for the key while I settled the check. The next store we were walking up to the car and I reached into my pocket to pop the frunk and no fob. I asked my wife and since she didn't have pockets she put it in the console. So our car was left unlocked and in a stealable state.

Not sure, but I still find it confusing when the car locks on "walk away" and when it does not.

My last car could be configured to flash lights and/or chirp the horn (or do nothing) with its walk-away locking. I miss that. I could just walk away and be reassured by the horn chirp behind me that all was well. I wish Tesla would implement something like this. I always push the key fob button "just to be sure".

I downloaded V6 yesterday and so far cannot get the calendar function to work. I'm running V2 of the Tesla app which App Store says is most recent. I also have the calendar access enabled in the Tesla app.

I'm sure you know, but you have to keep the app running (foreground or background) and you have to have a good Bluetooth connection to the car. Even with that, I found it takes a while to sync up and display.

I downloaded V6 yesterday and so far cannot get the calendar function to work. I'm running V2 of the Tesla app which App Store says is most recent. I also have the calendar access enabled in the Tesla app.

I had to kill and restart the Tesla app on my iPhone for the calendar to sync initially. In case you don't know how to do that, double-press the home button, locate the Tesla app and swipe it up to dismiss it. Then press the home button, find the Tesla app and restart it. You may have to log in again.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone feels there's a pronounced reduction of regen, a few releases ago, a number of members noted that car reset itself to low regen even though display said standard after an update. Didn't happen to me, but I recall solution was toggle to low, reboot, toggle to standard, reboot.

I tested the regen braking on my road trip yesterday. The "standard" setting is more gradual, but the peak regen value of 60kW is the same, it just takes a little longer to get there when I suddenly release the accelerator pedal. The effect is more comfortable IMHO. The "low" setting seems to cap at a peak regen of 30kW (i.e., half of the standard peak value), and also takes a little more time to get to it's peak regen value. The accelerator response is noticeably smoother too.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated to 6.0 (.15) yesterday morning, downloaded OTA via WiFi on Saturday night. I ran some errands yesterday. With very limited experience so far, I have not experienced the small quirks I had on 5.12 (occasional 4 indicator flashes when changing lanes, radio turning on autonomously at random times, ...). I have noticed the various display changes others have mentioned and more gradual regenerative braking. The calendar app works as expected with my iPhone (updated iPhone app), and the integration of calendar with the navigation system works as expected. I can put the address in an appointment, touch the address in the calendar to initiate the route. Geofenced suspension works as advertised, and that's a nice new feature as I have a steep gutter on my driveway to negotiate. I have an appointment today requiring a modest road trip with a planned stop at a supercharger on the way home, but so far, with limited time with the update, it seems to me that .15 is more stable with a few new features.

Nice road trip yesterday, stopping at the San Juan Capistrano SuperCharger on the way home. V6.0 (.15) behaved well all the way, with the exception of the lane change indicators. At odd times, I would get 4 flashes, and sometimes 1, and sometimes without sound. With careful testing of how quickly I operate the turn indicator stalk, I now suspect that the turn indicator switch is not "debounced" correctly. That may also be a factor in the lack of sound on occasions. More testing to see if I can recreate the situation reliably before I report it.