Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we get some instrumented data on this, from both camps?

I would think smart phone video clips (at 30 frames/second) of the instrument panel should suffice.

Car in cruise at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 MPH on level ground, with a smooth road and decent weather.
With nothing touching the accelerator or brake pedals, Cancel cruise with the stalk by pushing it towards the front of the car. Allow car to decelerate 20 MPH or more from initial speed.

Video evidence starts when the "cruise control" blue indicator turns off.
Measurements include:

• Speed change over x seconds of time (as determined by counting video frames and the speedometer's indicated speed) (This measures acceleration [rate of change of speed])
  • Rate the regen indicator moves (as determined by counting video frames)
  • Time for the regen indicator to move to its maximum value (whatever value that is for a given speed) (This measures regen "attack" rate)
  • Time the regen indicator remains at maximum value before dropping. (Not sure what this measures, but sounds like it's important.)

Once we have videos various measurements can be made. Then we'll have evidence, not just anecdotes.

I did notice a change in regen. It appears that the algorithms have changed slightly. It is possible that it is placebo effect, but that does not make it less real for me :). Another thing I noticed is that I feel the AC compressor cycles on and off when the car is already cooled off. Before, I feel like the compressor kept running at a slow speed.

I have been quite disappointed with the new traffic display in the maps, especially the city streets are displayed compared to the freeways. The picture below looks like a plate a spaghetti, especially while driving. The city streets should not appear when the map is this zoomed out. And without the traffic on, the freeways barely show up. Also, the red and yellow lines are now thinner and harder to see, especially without my reading glasses.
Tesla map small.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why my picture posted sideways, but that's the greater LA area.

At risk of stirring up the pot...

For those that are reporting "a different experience" with 6.0 WRT regen, is the entire difference related to engage/disengage/speed-adjust of cruise control OR is there a difference in experience in other aspects of regen (i.e. with cruise control disabled for the entire journey)?

My point being ... perhaps the focus should be on analyzed perceived differences in cruise control rather than in regen. Speaking for myself, I haven't used cruise control much at all since 6.0 so I don't have any experiences to report on that subject just yet.

Change is the same for cruise control or no cruise control.

I did a little test the other day. On a fairly flat piece of freeway I went aproximately 110 kph and then took my foot completely off the accelerator. Maximum regen stuck at ~40-45 KW. Outside temp ~17C and had been driving for ~5 minutes. SoC < 50%
This would definitely get me 60 KW regen previously.

However! I drove on and on another flat road tried the same thing but only from about 100 kph. Now I got more regen. Say around 50 KW. After some more driving I could get nearly 60 but not entirely (~55-58, hard to tell).

So my speculation is that the regen functionality after 6.0 is sometimes limited for the first 10 or so minutes but without any indication of it being so. As to why and if it's on all cars, I have no idea.
BTW, my VIN is in the 40xxx range.

For those that are reporting "a different experience" with 6.0 WRT regen, is the entire difference related to engage/disengage/speed-adjust of cruise control OR is there a difference in experience in other aspects of regen (i.e. with cruise control disabled for the entire journey)?

Good point. For me personally, the difference is noticeable when cancelling cruise control. I don't think I have noticed any other differences in regen, so I am ready to accept that the possible change is in fact in the cruise control behaviour.

Edit: Regarding matbl's post above, I have actually also noticed that sometimes the regen does not go down to 60kW, but I think my car did that also before 6.0 software, on slightly colder days, even without the regen limit display visible.

Pate

I have been quite disappointed with the new traffic display in the maps, especially the city streets are displayed compared to the freeways. The picture below looks like a plate a spaghetti, especially while driving. The city streets should not appear when the map is this zoomed out. And without the traffic on, the freeways barely show up. Also, the red and yellow lines are now thinner and harder to see, especially without my reading glasses.

+1. Started noticing this over the weekend as I was navigating the basin. Very annoying. Why did Tesla think that it would be a good "feature" in 6.0? Or is it a bug? Nav screen certainly wasn't doing that before on 5.x.

+1. Started noticing this over the weekend as I was navigating the basin. Very annoying. Why did Tesla think that it would be a good "feature" in 6.0? Or is it a bug? Nav screen certainly wasn't doing that before on 5.x.

I also especially like the fact that the road numbers are printed in light-blue in the middle of a mid-blue box (in night mode). Totally unreadable.

View attachment 60257

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why my picture posted sideways, but that's the greater LA area.

I agree. If you zoom out, it does get a little easier, but its not as good as the previous release.

I also don't like the way the extended navigation instructions now cover so much of the screen. I really wish we had the option to hide anything other than the next turn

By the way: I didn't expect to see any green in the greater LA area

I find it useful to see traffic on the side streets. There are only a few ways to do this, and no one way will please everyone. If the map looks to busy, turn off the traffic display (one touch on the nav screen) and the problem is solved. Or zoom in.

Well, that's kind of the point is that we want to see the traffic especially here in So Cal. Maybe it isn't so much a problem in less densely populated Arizona as things are more spread out. And there is a way to please everyone. It's called what we had before on 5.x. I certainly wasn't complaining about it and I don't recall anyone else either.

This is not a purely aesthetic change. It is a functionality change... For the worse. Take it from all of us that have to navigate the basin on a regular basis.

Well, that's kind of the point is that we want to see the traffic especially here in So Cal. Maybe it isn't so much a problem in less densely populated Arizona as things are more spread out. And there is a way to please everyone. It's called what we had before on 5.x. I certainly wasn't complaining about it and I don't recall anyone else either.

This is not a purely aesthetic change. It is a functionality change... For the worse. Take it from all of us that have to navigate the basin on a regular basis.

I feel like I'm observing the first meeting of the guy who thinks Tesla can do no wrong and the guy who thinks Tesla can do no right. This should be good.

And there is a way to please everyone. It's called what we had before on 5.x. I certainly wasn't complaining about it and I don't recall anyone else either.

If you don't find it useful then turn it off (You can disable this feature and the collection and sharing of this data via the Traffic-Based Routing setting in Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation.) I'm looking forward to 6.0 and see no value in insisting that everything must be perfect or we're better off without it. The feature will get better as it is refined. It is explicitly described as being in beta at this time, after all.

If you don't find it useful then turn it off (You can disable this feature and the collection and sharing of this data via the Traffic-Based Routing setting in Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation.) I'm looking forward to 6.0 and see no value in insisting that everything must be perfect or we're better off without it. The feature will get better as it is refined. It is explicitly described as being in beta at this time, after all.

No, you misunderstood. We are NOT complaining about traffic based Nav. Take a look at the screenshot posted on the previous page of this thread. The fact that surface streets' traffic shows up even when zoomed out overcrowds the map and makes traffic unreadable.

Believe me, I was the one who first mentioned the fact that they released traffic based routing in beta and was thankful for it. Not expecting perfection in the first release of 6.0, but expect the google maps display of street traffic to be addressed in 6.1.

From what I can remember, there were a lot of complaints about the traffic lines in 5.X and everyone wanted them thinner and more visible. That's what we got, now people don't like that. Also, the traffic lines on the 17" screen are the same as they have been since 5.12.

I was on 5.12 before and was clearly able to glance down and see freeway traffic. Now I have to parse out surface streets, which is definitely new in 6.0. The size of the traffic lines is not the issue. It's the colossal mess that becomes of LA when surface streets are overlaid with freeway traffic.

Take a look at the screenshot posted on the previous page of this thread. The fact that surface streets' traffic shows up even when zoomed out overcrowds the map and makes traffic unreadable.

What is so difficult about touching the traffic light icon to the right of that unreadable map to make the traffic lines go away? Then, when you're done, touch the icon again and the traffic lines are restored. What is there to complain about? That is the solution.