Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF the mods allow this to stay... it is a thread for pre-driver assist, pre-D owners.
Yes, that's right! I'm brown, lacewood, P (all antique) AND I'M PROUD. So proud, I spent an extra 5k after D announcement to paint correct and wrap my car!

I want a new FW thread that's for grizzled vets: no release anxiety, no "I didn't get it", no "I got it", no redundant posting of the release notes!
AND, no endless discussion of ACC, lack of blind spot detection, and other driver assist stuff we ain't got.

SO, if you're an antique P85, P85+, 85, 60, or 40 owner and have some insight on 6.1, put it here!

Same here. Antique and had to paint correct and clearbra to protect the fixed paint. I had the entire car paint corrected which was riddled with marring and swirls then clearbra the entire car sans the rear hatch to the tune of almost $6k.. Wiped out half the savings of buying a service loaner... You can read about it here:Tesla Model S: Professional Car Detailing, Paint Correction and Clear Bra Installation | Ask a Pro Blog
Love the car but hate that I had to spend so much to make a car with 6mo of use in Tesla's loaner fleet "right"

- - - Updated - - -

I have never seen a map update notification, my wife swears she hasn't either, I doubt the SC has installed one assuming it would be listed on my paperwork, having the ability to check map version would be helpful at some point.

Navigating to a new address has been wrong half the time so I rely on my iPhone anyways, I just don't like being left out of the latest software,

+1 never seen a map update here either but on latest version of v6

Last edited:
I did not get the car back today (needs another part from Fremont, so Monday), but my service advisor did tell me that they don't have and can't install 6.1. He advised that I will have to wait for the the OTA update. :-(

I was told the same by Vancouver on Friday, though they said that they would try again on Monday. It is weird since several VIN's in the same or earlier ballpark have posted here as updated.

I was told the same by Vancouver on Friday, though they said that they would try again on Monday. It is weird since several VIN's in the same or earlier ballpark have posted here as updated.

My Service Advisor did use the term "in batches OTA". When I dug a little deeper, he thought these upgrade batches might be based on similar configurations, not on VIN sequence which does appear to be pretty random. I'm not sure about the configuration idea since there seems to be an odd mix of very early "classics" and very recent P85Ds with widely different configurations getting the 6.1 upgrade OTA. In any case, he did tell me that the SC can't upgrade my vehicle to 6.1 since they don't have it - yet.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the loaner they gave me while my "classic" P85+ is in getting the on-board chargers replaced is a recent S85 with the autopilot hardware, but without 6.1 yet. The camera / code to identify and notify the speed limit works very well, and has not erred at all so far. The lane departure warning works well too. All very cool, but frankly, not worth the price of an upgrade. I love my "classic" P85+ and I love driving. I'm glad I got to experience the new features (albeit only notifications without the 6.1 autopilot software) if for no other reason to confirm my view. As cool as the autopilot features are, I don't need them.

I'm a n00b here, but I have a "classic" MS85 built back in Spring 2014. Just picked up my car a few weeks back as an inventory car with about 1,200 miles on the clock, for a hefty discount. Can't wait for the new update to see how it goes, as this will be my first OTA update to me, though obviously my car was built pre-6.0 even.... hope it comes soon!

I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting on 6.1. I was the last in our little group to get 6.0 before so I'm guessing it'll be the same way with 6.1. :crying:

Hopefully in the near future they'll have some sort of update via USB that you can download onto a memory stick from their web server. It's gotta be how the service centers do it (!?), and would greatly reduce their cost if they transfer over 3g.

One can hope right?

I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting on 6.1. I was the last in our little group to get 6.0 before so I'm guessing it'll be the same way with 6.1. :crying:

Darren, not sure you were the last in our area. I didn't get the update until Oct 29. The 6.0 update thread shows first downloads started Sept 11 last year, so it took almost 7 weeks for me to receive the update.

It has gotten humorous watching the forum at each new software update. As the number of new owners increases, so do the number of comments about who gets it first, does it come on wi-fi or 3G, do I need to be plugged in, does the car need to face the north, is Canada getting it before the U.S., how do I sign up for beta, can I get it at the service center, I just got my car from the service center and still have the old version, etc etc.

The main thing I've learned in almost 16 months of ownership and several software updates is that you will get it when you get it, and there is no pattern.

People are assuming that Tesla pushes it out slowly because they're physically unable to push it to everyone all at once. I think it has more to do with the fact that you don't want 60,000+ people simultaneously driving around with software that may have bugs. They can monitor the few who do get it, and prevent anything bad or just awkward happening on a massive scale.

I do think that certain Model S owners who wouldn't mind some potential awkwardness should just be able to just download it anyway tho :p

I thought it was worth mentioning that a week or so before the firmware update was announced, I did notice some random menus on my car had been rearranged, ie: where Air Suspension is listed, plus some other subtle changes like the key fob opening the chargeport door. I thought I was just misremembering things, lol (TIL Tesla is gaslighting me)

I also see the snowflake on the energy bar as of yesterday!

How exactly does Tesla do these changes without you actually downloading any software?

I suspect the aformentioned air suspension/keyfob update was implemented when I took the car into the service center for a chargeport door issue a couple of weeks ago. Dunno how the snowflake just randomly appeared yesterday, tho.

People are assuming that Tesla pushes it out slowly because they're physically unable to push it to everyone all at once. I think it has more to do with the fact that you don't want 60,000+ people simultaneously driving around with software that may have bugs. They can monitor the few who do get it, and prevent anything bad or just awkward happening on a massive scale.

I do think that certain Model S owners who wouldn't mind some potential awkwardness should just be able to just download it anyway tho :p

I thought it was worth mentioning that a week or so before the firmware update was announced, I did notice some random menus on my car had been rearranged, ie: where Air Suspension is listed, plus some other subtle changes like the key fob opening the chargeport door. I thought I was just misremembering things, lol (TIL Tesla is gaslighting me)

I also see the snowflake on the energy bar as of yesterday!

How exactly does Tesla do these changes without you actually downloading any software?

I suspect the aformentioned air suspension/keyfob update was implemented when I took the car into the service center for a chargeport door issue a couple of weeks ago. Dunno how the snowflake just randomly appeared yesterday, tho.

You got the menu changes because the service center updated you to latest version of 6.0. They did same for me last week. So, there was a software download. The snowflake only appears when it is sufficiently cold... so that would not necessarily tie to software update. However, the threshold for the snowflake appearing could have changed between software releases...

Now that those of us with the "original" Model S configurations are independent from the Driver Assist features, I hope that means we can get more accelerator control again with more regen! I'll cross my fingers for 6.2. I miss the stronger regen and more precise accelerator control that we had with previous pedal maps a great deal. I really don't care for the coasting sensation or delays in adjusting to a new lower speed limit. I prefer more control to mimic engine braking and downshifts. Somewhere between v.4.0 and v.5.0 it seemed just right.

I don't have the update (still on 6.0) and after reading this about decreased regen braking, I'm not sure I want it. I probably shouldn't simply ignore the update when I get the notification but I'm wondering if the new features will be worth losing the current regen settings. For those of you who have the update, do you think it's worth it?

Btw, I also saw the snowflake for the first time a couple of days ago. I have not downloaded any updates so that's a puzzle.

Last edited:
It's known that they can push it out very fast because the 5.8 (the one that removed auto lowering) was in almost everyone's cars within a few days. Normally they push out slow so that most folks get the stable version.

Can the Classic cars determine which tire is low on air? A P85D owner noted that while the car does not indicate the pressure of each tire, 6.1 will tell you which specific tire of the four tires is low.

Can the Classic cars determine which tire is low on air? A P85D owner noted that while the car does not indicate the pressure of each tire, 6.1 will tell you which specific tire of the four tires is low.

I suspect they will. I had a "classic" and now have an autopilot car (so I kinda can hang out on this thread, hehe). The TPMS sensors are different now, but don't think they have any different functionality, so don't believe it matters. I think the receiver for each wheel is what determines which tire has which pressure. I think Tesla's maintenance screens have always been able to see the pressures in individual tires.