Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be a dumb question but why aren't we hearing tid bits from the beta testers? Apparently this went out to beta testers about a month ago.. ?

Maybe Tesla selected them well (only those who take NDAs seriously)?

Agreed. I would think beta testers who want to continue to be part of that program would probably last longer in the program if they did not share information about what they have been asked to test.
It will be interesting to see what the actual full release 7.0 looks like. TM does keep track of comments made on the forums and I doubt they just change things to anger their model S (X) owners.

Maybe Tesla selected them well (only those who take NDAs seriously)?

What about the old chestnut "the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead"? If they have released it to beta testers, seems like there'd be something out there somewhere... I'm wondering if they did release it to the beta testers. The X may be absorbing all their time.

Might be a dumb question but why aren't we hearing tid bits from the beta testers? Apparently this went out to beta testers about a month ago.. ?
According to Tesla, AP went out for beta in Auguust 15. Assuming that V7 is related to AP beta testing, and that the UI screen capture we've seen on this thread are real, then Tesla had managed the "leak" to gauge the response from the masses on the UI. I think we will know soon when MX is release to the public.

According to Tesla, AP went out for beta in Auguust 15. Assuming that V7 is related to AP beta testing, and that the UI screen capture we've seen on this thread are real, then Tesla had managed the "leak" to gauge the response from the masses on the UI. I think we will know soon when MX is release to the public.

Occam's Razor says that (if the images are real) someone fat-fingered a VIN in the deployment, nothing more, nothing less.

I laugh when I hear the conspiracy theories that Tesla purposely leaked a test image to someone who wasn't supposed to get it, so that they could gauge public opinion. That approach would be an indictment of any testing program they have, saying that they didn't trust those processes to give them the proper feedback. The risk associated with early deployment of software to J. Random Customer is significantly greater, and the response you'll get from the general public who can't touch, feel, etc. the new capabilities is going to be resistance to change, like we've seen this entire thread. So what would happen if the guy hadn't posted images? Would Tesla have known? Would they have pulled back the software like they did, or would a customer be driving on test software unknowingly? Do you think Tesla would take the risk to have a customer unknowingly drive on test software to "leak" pictures to the forums, not trusting its testers?

Over the years, I've found myself taking several initial positions on the first view of something that changed when I got my hands on the actual implementation. I've found some things I wasn't concerned with to be more onerous, and I've found some of the biggest items sticking in my mind to be inconsequential.

Over the years, I've found myself taking several initial positions on the first view of something that changed when I got my hands on the actual implementation. I've found some things I wasn't concerned with to be more onerous, and I've found some of the biggest items sticking in my mind to be inconsequential.

+1. Absolutely. Living with something is usually a lot different than imagining living with something.

If that is in reference to one of my posts, I assure you it was 100% in jest.

Some are joking, but some are quite serious that there is something secret happening under the covers where Tesla is manipulating its customers to gain information.

My point is that it's not happening. There are so many reasons, from trust with customers, to privacy implications, to safety implications, and many others.

- - - Updated - - -

The first rule of the early access program is that you don't talk about fight club. Err, uh, wait.. something like that.

Discussed previously:

I've talked to people on the program, and the first rule of the program is that apparently there's no program.
If the first rule of the program is that the program is not a program, is there truly a first rule of the program without the existence of a program of which to have a first rule? I rest my case.

I seriously doubt if Tesla would ever pick someone who's very active here on TMC or on the 'official' forums to be a beta tester. The itch to share might be too strong. If we do have a beta tester in our midst, then, they're spending many a sleepless night resisting the urge to scratch the itch. :)