Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that his S is a non-AP car, it may be that that version is what people without AP will see. Maybe when AP is enabled the extra analog ring goes away? Sort of makes sense, Tesla would want you less distracted in AP mode so you'd be more aware of traffic.

I'm sure he's under NDA, but can he say when that video footage was shot?

That would at least let use know if it's an new beta or old.
I continue to speculate that Tesla is managing the leaks.

- - - Updated - - -

Given that his S is a non-AP car, it may be that that version is what people without AP will see. Maybe when AP is enabled the extra analog ring goes away? Sort of makes sense, Tesla would want you less distracted in AP mode so you'd be more aware of traffic.
Yes, when AP is active with TACC and Lane keeping, the kW ring is of lesser value to the driver for actual driving, except to provide info.

Yes, when AP is active with TACC and Lane keeping, the kW ring is of lesser value to the driver for actual driving, except to provide info.
Apple has clearly shown that its a winning strategy to give the consumer fewer choices and less functionality, in favor of ease of use. Same thing is going on here with the speed dial. I'm a fan of this going away. Why do I need to know exactly how much energy my car is using at all times especially when I'm not directly controlling the car in AP? I'll turn on the optional energy gauge during long trips when I'm trying to manage for best possible efficiency.

This was my thought as well:

Relatively simple suggestion. Why not display the current (v6.2) speedometer/power/range dial by default and then transition to the AP interface only when AP is in use? Seems that would keep all camps happy.

Not sure why Tesla didn't implement this from the outset. We've seen pics from other non-AP beta testers and their dashes did not preserve the classic dial.

Todd, the toy car is ridiculed yes, but this recent screenshot is a much more streamlined implementation of it. My hope is this is what we see when Autopilot is not engaged. I would also hope the other bits of info we have today in 6.2 remain. They don't take that much space and surely they could easily remain tucked away at the bottom like they are now.

Let's be clear about a few things:

First, the use of the term "toy car" is a not-so-subtle pejorative used by some to belittle the approach, and I suspect is being parroted by others who aren't intentionally meaning to promulgate this insinuation. It's a visual representation which may (see below) be a skeuomorph.

Is it skeuomorphic? I'd argue yes from a literal perspective, but no from the perspective that most people mean it negatively these days. It's just a highly-intuitive visual encoding of a fair amount of information (lane position, brake and front light activity, high beams(?), position of other cars in proximity -- if supported). One can legitimately argue that there are other ways to present this information, perhaps more densely compacted, but it's a pretty intuitive representation of a lot of information.

What it isn't is this (pointless emulation of lined paper):

iphone-notes-app-screen-shot_1.jpg

Or this (inefficient mimicking of analog controls):

Braun_ui.jpg

Or this (holy crap):

tumblr_lxal1s28mv1qb88sy.png

Which are all textbook skeuomorphic UIs of increasing absurdity.

In the 2nd video, later in the video, the driver is shown talking to the passenger
with both hands off the wheel, presumably as they are driving ... so, it would
appear that the car has auto steering, thus the car apparently has AP hardware.
Or, at least that they edited the video to give that impression.

He takes his left hand off the wheel for a second or two at a time at most on a straight road. You can let go of a steering wheel on a straight road and not crash instantly or even drift within your lane. There was no auto-steer in that video that I could see.

Why do I need to know exactly how much energy my car is using at all times especially when I'm not directly controlling the car in AP?

We may not "need" to know, but given the preference, I would still "like" to know.

Currently, when using TACC on the highway, I will still, at times, intervene when I know the car would do something particularly energy inefficient that I'd prefer that it not do. For example, if I am cruising along at 70, and get passed on the left, and the car that passed me immediately changes back into my lane very close in front of me, TACC is going to temporarily slow down, and then have to speed up again. If I am paying attention, and can anticipate this, I'll try to match the current power output with the go pedal, to prevent this complete waste of power. Call it unnecessary hypermiling, call it me keeping my highway drives more interesting, call it me trying to see how efficient I can get the car to be--call it anything you want to. But take away my power meter, and you've just made this activity a lot harder for me to accomplish.

Another example of where I might try to override TACC and use the power meter is if I'm going down a hill. I might try to keep the power meter at exactly 0, rather than let any regen occur.

I'll certainly be happier with the combined power meter / speedometer being available when TACC / lane keeping is not active than if we didn't have it at all. But there is a reason some of us might want an easy-to-read power meter like the one we have now, with fine gradations available even when we are using TACC with lane keeping.

We may not "need" to know, but given the preference, I would still "like" to know.

Currently, when using TACC on the highway, I will still, at times, intervene when I know the car would do something particularly energy inefficient that I'd prefer that it not do. For example, if I am cruising along at 70, and get passed on the left, and the car that passed me immediately changes back into my lane very close in front of me, TACC is going to temporarily slow down, and then have to speed up again. If I am paying attention, and can anticipate this, I'll try to match the current power output with the go pedal, to prevent this complete waste of power. Call it unnecessary hypermiling, call it me keeping my highway drives more interesting, call it me trying to see how efficient I can get the car to be--call it anything you want to. But take away my power meter, and you've just made this activity a lot harder for me to accomplish.

Another example of where I might try to override TACC and use the power meter is if I'm going down a hill. I might try to keep the power meter at exactly 0, rather than let any regen occur.

I'll certainly be happier with the combined power meter / speedometer being available when TACC / lane keeping is not active than if we didn't have it at all. But there is a reason some of us might want an easy-to-read power meter like the one we have now, with fine gradations available even when we are using TACC with lane keeping.

These sound like fringe use cases to me... I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla didn't consider them vital to incorporate into their future UI plans.

In the 2nd video, later in the video, the driver is shown talking to the passenger
with both hands off the wheel, presumably as they are driving ... so, it would
appear that the car has auto steering, thus the car apparently has AP hardware.
Or, at least that they edited the video to give that impression.

Not possible, clearly this car has no AP. You can see there's no front camera:
Tesla-no-AP.png

Let's be clear about a few things:

First, the use of the term "toy car" is a not-so-subtle pejorative used by some to belittle the approach, and I suspect is being parroted by others who aren't intentionally meaning to promulgate this insinuation. It's a visual representation which may (see below) be a skeuomorph.

Gizmoboy, I am in the latter camp as it was not my intention at all to belittle the approach. If I gave that impression, I'm sorry. I can use "car graphic representation" if that works better.

As for the detail provided, yes it provides a great representation of the items you mention. For me, lane positioning, other cars, and speed limit would never be shown. From the earlier leaked images, I would be concerned about a vast swatch of blank on my screen since none of these details would be displayed in my car. In the latest image, it works well to show me the details my car is compatible with.

As for it being better/worse, I'm agnostic. I would be fine without the representation of my brake lights and the current icons for my lights are sufficient for me. That said, I won't lose any sleep over these being displayed like in the latest image. Not needed for me, but Tesla isn't designing the UI for me alone.

In your 2nd and 3rd graphic, one thing I will note is that for buttons, you can easily tell what should be the trigger area for the button. In some of the raked images, the audio controls have no such "boundaries". I prefer the skewmorphic boundaries of where I can trigger the button, but honesty do not care if the Ui element is otherwise flat.

So again, if my post sounded like I was belittling anything, I apologize.

These sound like fringe use cases to me... I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla didn't consider them vital to incorporate into their future UI plans.

I recognize that there are many people who may never use the power meter when driving with TACC enabled. I don't disagree with your statement that Tesla may choose not to incorporate them in future UI plans. I was just pointing out that there are reasons people would want to have the information available, even when the car was in charge.

Please explain the "bandwidth".

Bandwidth. Capacity. Resources. Tesla has none of these to create "leaks" over an operating system that they've already discussed, already shown at the Autopilot launch, and one that everyone knows about and is waiting for. Tesla gains nothing by leaking screen shots or drive videos. And as you can see, leaks happen all by themselves and without devotion of corporate resources.