Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wheel can't detect anything, but the power steering system most definitely can detect any mass on the wheel as it has a torque sensor in the steering shaft. All it has to do is move the shaft and the torque sensor (with a little math) will tell them how heavy your hand is even if it's not moving. This is also how some other systems work, which is why taping something like a drink can to the wheel was able to "fake it out".
Expanding on the above explanation:
In manual mode, driver moves the steering wheel to steer the car in the desire direction with power assist.

In AP mode, power steering (PS) system sense how much torque is required if hand is not on the wheel. When PS moves the steering wheel and sense that the torque required is slightly different than normal (i.e. torque required when no hand on the wheel) it then determined that hand is on the wheel. The torque difference is present when hand is on the steering wheel because the driver will not be moving the steering wheel in exact unison with the intended rotation of the PS while lane keeping. This is the normal AP lane keeping, driver hand on wheel with PS performing the lane keeping.

When accident is to be avoided by the driver, the driver higher than "relax" torque applied on the steering wheel is sense by the PS, and it surrenders the directional control to the driver, and simply assist with steering the car in the desired direction intended by the driver. Therefore, if hand is on the wheel, and driver is paying attention, the transition from AP lane keeping to manual steering is seamless. Tesla has to allow for the accident avoidance situation. Driver is "supreme" i.e. responsible.

Last edited:
Yep, this. Almost certainly the list has just the new/changed ones. They would have no reason to get rid of the media app on the driver's console.

There was a video at some point in which the available apps in the instrument cluster were all shown. I can't seem to find it anymore (the one linked in this thread has been pulled) nor do I remember what all the apps were.. but if you can find it again, the answer would be in there. Hopefully someone downloaded it and can link it again.

Last edited:
Beta 2 released, leak photo and release note - seems that we have individual tire pressure display at startup plus other improvement.
Tesla releases second version of its beta v7.0 software update with Autopilot [Updated] | Electrek

Looks great.

Pics from link

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442627061.556252.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442627090.605588.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442627098.869945.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442627106.341069.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442627115.004596.jpg

Inb4ban

Looks like someone is about to be disinvited from the Early Access Program with this violation of the NDA.

The pictures haven't come from people in the EAP. As happened before, some random people, not part of the EAP, apparently received the beta version of the software. Since they're not under any non-disclosure agreement, they did nothing wrong by sharing.

So let me get this right. The only way to display the ambient temp is to place a ginormous analog clock that takes up half of the IC screen real estate? I must be missing something.

Could still be on the 17", right? After all, currently the outside temperature is shown on both the console and the touchscreen. Seems a bit redundant if you ask me.

Whatever it is, it's still a really crappy interface.

I still can't believe we're losing all this information from the lower status bar (time/date/temp, etc) and instead have this grade-school clock display taking up one of two valuable spots.

Also, what's all this "app" crap?!!? Those aren't "apps". They are information displays.

All I can say is some marketing muckity-muck that knows NOTHING about UIs got into the software development department at tesla and really FUBAR'd this thing . "Oh, I know! Let's call them 'APPS' and remove all this information that's cluttering things up". What happened to Trip A and Trip B? I use them ALL THE TIME in the dashboard -- I DON'T want to look over to the touch-screen to see them.

If this is the interface that my P85+ gets, all I can say is "FU" Tesla, because that's what they're saying to me with this new interface. "Screw you and what you actually want, we're going to tell you what you want and force it upon you with no choice". Way to go Tesla.

Not looking forward to the new interface if it is anything like the leaked pictures. The current speedometer center display is genius -- tons of information displayed in a clear, concise manor that puts other car UIs to shame. The orange/green arcs for power and regen are essential pieces of information, so it really upsets me to see that the new version will (re)move this information, and substantially reduce the clarity of the meter by removing the scale. Really the first tick is 75kW? That is pretty much useless. So much so that it would impede my ability to use my car on a significant amount of my driving that requires careful energy monitoring.

Never thought I would be worried about a software update -- they are usually sources of happiness, but this one is looking like it could be a disaster (clock "app", removal of essential+clearly displayed info, car graphic, etc.). Looks like an all around poorly designed interface. Which is shocking to me as the existing UI is so strong. I really hope this isn't the final form. The non-UI updates look nice, even for a classic P85 like mine, but I won't be updating if the new UI is like these leaked images. I'm gonna try not to worry, as the final details aren't known yet, but a seed of doubt has been placed in my mind.

Whatever it is, it's still a really crappy interface.

I still can't believe we're losing all this information from the lower status bar (time/date/temp, etc) and instead have this grade-school clock display taking up one of two valuable spots.

I'll admit that I'm rather dismayed about this, too. The new interface is a cute POC, but that's all that it is. As far as delivering information to the user it's a massive step back.
I can see where they thought they were going with the visualization of the "autopilot" stuff. But goal #1 still needs to be to deliver information to the driver in a non-cluttered, easy to absorb way.
Why is the power meter gone from the main screen? What the heck is up with this silly clock? Why do we still not have a battery icon that is overlaid with the charge percentage and has the range next to it as was suggested several times in the past?
Also, what's all this "app" crap?!!? Those aren't "apps". They are information displays.
Correct. "apps" is what Elon promised us two years ago. These are the core components of the Human-Machine-Interface that the driver needs to safely control this car.
All I can say is some marketing muckity-muck that knows NOTHING about UIs got into the software development department at tesla and really FUBAR'd this thing . "Oh, I know! Let's call them 'APPS' and remove all this information that's cluttering things up". What happened to Trip A and Trip B? I use them ALL THE TIME in the dashboard -- I DON'T want to look over to the touch-screen to see them.
HEAR! HEAR!
If this is the interface that my P85+ gets, all I can say is "FU" Tesla, because that's what they're saying to me with this new interface. "Screw you and what you actually want, we're going to tell you what you want and force it upon you with no choice". Way to go Tesla.
I'm right there with you. The fact that you can only get auto-steer with this is a pity, but the trade-off here is clear for me. No more firmware updates after 6.2 on my car.

- - - Updated - - -

Not looking forward to the new interface if it is anything like the leaked pictures. The current speedometer center display is genius -- tons of information displayed in a clear, concise manor that puts other car UIs to shame. The orange/green arcs for power and regen are essential pieces of information, so it really upsets me to see that the new version will (re)move this information, and substantially reduce the clarity of the meter by removing the scale.
Exactly. Very well put.
Never thought I would be worried about a software update -- they are usually sources of happiness, but this one is looking like it could be a disaster (clock "app", removal of essential+clearly displayed info, car graphic, etc.). Looks like an all around poorly designed interface. Which is shocking to me as the existing UI is so strong. I really hope this isn't the final form. The non-UI updates look nice, even for a classic P85 like mine, but I won't be updating if the new UI is like these leaked images. I'm gonna try not to worry, as the final details aren't known yet, but a seed of doubt has been placed in my mind.
As I said, I will reject further firmware updates. And I will be VERY unhappy if Tesla were to force this crap UI into my car.

I appreciate the potential performance improvements, but I reiterate my objection to the display changes. Removing the info and "simplifying" the display is a freaking terrible idea.

So pissed.

Edit: actually, I'm not that pissed, only because I plan to give the car back to them next year either way. The next owner can deal with the craptacular user interface.

How this plays out may have a non-zero impact on what I get next, though.

Last edited:
Not looking forward to the new interface if it is anything like the leaked pictures. The current speedometer center display is genius -- tons of information displayed in a clear, concise manor that puts other car UIs to shame. The orange/green arcs for power and regen are essential pieces of information, so it really upsets me to see that the new version will (re)move this information, and substantially reduce the clarity of the meter by removing the scale. Really the first tick is 75kW? That is pretty much useless. So much so that it would impede my ability to use my car on a significant amount of my driving that requires careful energy monitoring.

Agree completely. Very concerned with this new design direction that seems intended to dumb down the interface. The current speedo/power use indicator is a marvel of informative design, the beta design appears meant to make someone renting the car at the airport feel like he's back in his Camry. And that clock...my God. The idea that 1/3 of my main screen needs to be occupied by the time and clock........

Last edited:
This whole UI clusterf^H^H^H^H^Hfiasco has a very strong resembelnce to the BMW "design philosophy" of Chris Bangle and the "Bangle Butt" that he brought to BMW. See: Chris Bangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While we don't know the name of the product manager or "chief designer" at Tesla ultimately responsible for this new UI, I can only think it's going to take a similar path. Here are a few choice quotes from the wikipedia article:

His styling themes have generated intense controversy among automotive designers, and have had a polarizing effect with respect to their visual cues. Bangle acknowledges that his designs do not look good in photographs, suggesting to critics that they should see the cars in real life before judging them on their looks.

and is probably the first time Deconstructivism has been adapted to automotive design.

Replace "Deconstructivism" with "Flat Design". There's absolutely NO reason for Tesla to adopt this FAD of "flat design" for their user interface. None of the major tenets of flat design apply to the UI in automobiles.

Bangle aggressively defended his designs against criticism. He was supported by the BMW board of directors, who wanted to move BMW's image into the future. He said it was necessary for product lines to follow a cycle of a revolutionary generation followed by an evolutionary generation followed by another revolutionary generation and so on.

Marc Newson, an industrial designer and car enthusiast, described Bangle's BMW Z4 as having been designed with a machete.[18]

(Personal note: While I also feel that this Tesla 7.0 UI has been "designed with a machete", I did own and love a BMW Z4 that I sold to buy my Tesla.)

The difference here is that you can decide if you like a car's design BEFORE you buy it. Once you buy it, it does NOT change based on the whims of the car maker. Or if it does, at least give me the option to CHOOSE which design I want to have -- "Classic" or "FUBAR'd". ;) And I think FUBAR is quite an appropriate acronym to use here.

Patrick le Quément, chief designer at Renault, said: "[Bangle is] certainly the most talked about designer. His designs have a great deal of presence, and they're well proportioned. He's been highly influential. My only concern is his use of concave surfaces: they're hollow shapes and lack that tightly muscled look I feel helps design."

Again, replace "concave surfaces" with "flat design".

Chris Bangle eventually left BMW and BMW slowly pulled the corporate design methodology back to include many of the classic BMW design cues that Bangle removed.

I can only hope and pray that something similar will happen with Tesla. I LOVE MY MODEL S AS IS. I DO NOT WANT IT TO CHANGE!!! (other than adding the individual tire pressure readings. ;) )

I REALLY hope they have an option in settings for "modern" and "classic" interfaces. Might solve a lot of problems too.....

Part off my buying decision was the promise of an SDK so you could conceivably build your own apps and change the way information is formatted/organized. I have no interest in mucking around with driving dynamics, just let me build a media app that doesn't suck and organize info the way that is most useful to me.