Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of dreading 7.1 because every other company that's gone down the flat path has made each new release worse. My hypothesis is that that the flat path is decided by bean counters as a cost saving feature, and once the bean counters obtain control, things go south in a hurry because there's nothing that can't be made cheaper by making it a little worse.

It isn't a money saving thing. It may be a "design over usability" thing though.

It is also possible that "speed" of screen responsiveness is being considered ahead of information displayed.

The concern in both of these cases is that "human factors engineering" and providing information and touch controls that can be used at a glance by a driver that shouldn't look down for more than a fraction of a second is not being given due consideration.

So, definitely going to need to put the performance box in the P85 and do some testing. Driving the wife's car around today... and driving it pretty hard. Hadn't really gotten on it much since v7, but it feels like it's got a little bit better high speed performance than in 6.2. Going to need to test this more scientifically.

So, definitely going to need to put the performance box in the P85 and do some testing. Driving the wife's car around today... and driving it pretty hard. Hadn't really gotten on it much since v7, but it feels like it's got a little bit better high speed performance than in 6.2. Going to need to test this more scientifically.

Interested in the results. What is the VIN range of her car ?

Mir takes more time to create a 3D graphic than it does a 2D graphic. It's basically a money saving feature.

Hmm.. not to challenge you, or say you're wrong, I'm asking because I don't know. I'm guessing Mir is this (or could be this or this)... but I'm not seeing how creating a 3D image versus a 2D image is an actual cost in dollars that "beancounters" would actually care about. What money (in dollars, not time) is it actually saving in any significant manner?

Hmm.. not to challenge you, or say you're wrong, I'm asking because I don't know. I'm guessing Mir is this (or could be this or this)... but I'm not seeing how creating a 3D image versus a 2D image is an actual cost in dollars that "beancounters" would actually care about. What money (in dollars, not time) is it actually saving in any significant manner?
I'd expect 20% more time to get a 3D design right compared to a flat design. Time always equates to dollars, either in terms of actual cash outlay or missed schedules.

I'd expect 20% more time to get a 3D design right compared to a flat design. Time always equates to dollars, either in terms of actual cash outlay or missed schedules.

So you're talking about the design phase. But in this case the 3D designs were already developed which they tossed out... so using your argument, it was additional time (money) to create the new 2D flat designs. So I still don't see how the "beancounter" argument applies here. It's not like it's multiplied by the number of cars they make. It's a very small part of the entire development effort/budget. If the beancounters were in charge, they would have said to just stick with the 3D design that's already designed.

We're also talking about a handful of icons, not an entire palette of thousands of images or icons like an OS might have. And according to some people, the icons they used were right out of the KDE desktop library.

We're also talking about a handful of icons, not an entire palette of thousands of images or icons like an OS might have. And according to some people, the icons they used were right out of the KDE desktop library.

Ha!

I agree, though, that this is a drop in the bucket. I have a hard time convincing myself of the argument that 2D makes any real difference in the development budget. By the time you account for the actual functionality, AP, etc., it's got to be negligible.

How does one control the brightness of the Dashboard screen on non-AP cars
under version 7.0?

I recall that the brightness of the 17" touchscreen has a control under
Controls, Settings, Display, but is there a control there for the Dashboard?

Thanks, I cannot get to my with-AP car right now, and a friend needs to know.
He is driving in traffic and cannot experiment.

On my non-AP car the screen brightness control on the steering wheel and the center display controls effects both screens equally. There are no separate screen controls.
1. Press the button under the scroll wheel to access the menu

2. Use the scroll wheel to select brightness

3. Press the scroll wheel to adjust the light level
How does one control the brightness of the Dashboard screen on non-AP cars
under version 7.0?

I recall that the brightness of the 17" touchscreen has a control under
Controls, Settings, Display, but is there a control there for the dashboard?