Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok wait. So the contrast is better in night mode but worse during the day? Not sure how that represents an improvement.

Yes, it is a step forward because during the day, even the slightly less contrast doesn't make any difference in my ability to see anything. Hence "Never had any problems with either version of both the displays in day mode" despite the slightly lighter grey 7.0 background. Night mode is much improved. So night: better, day: same. Overall better.

EDIT: This is obviously for my eyes. I noted the contrast in day mode, in the IC, is slightly worse in 7.0 because it could be a factor for people with worse eyes than mine. But the change is small enough that even my bad eyes aren't bothered by it.

Last edited:
I guess we have different perceptions. The sharpness and contrast of 7.0 seems better to me. I do a lot of night driving (hundreds of miles so far on 7.0) and the 7.0 displays are darker (solid black), with less grey gradients.

Man, exact opposite for me. The new software seems to be a sea of grey with no contrasting sections at all. You mention night driving, but IMHO, day driving is much worse than it was before. It is very hard to read the dash and if you have sunglasses on, it is nearly impossible.

Someone hates with a passion the new 7.0 interface like I do.

I think that it's the epitome of arrogance that Tesla shoves the new interface down the throat of people that own the "classic" MS. This should have been a fork of the software to keep cars without AP hardware at 6.X. I have absolutely no interest in AP and resent being forced into this abysmal interface.

My biggest issue is the contrast problem in bright day light. I cannot see the speedometer numbers, I cannot see the lettering in the ugly trip odometer or the icons at the top of the 17" screen other than the Tesla logo. The worst part is the horrible navigation screen on the IC. It is a severe safety issue. With sunglasses, impossible.

Right now, I will not recommend a Tesla to anyone, and I will never purchase another Tesla product. I was going to get a Model 3 for my wife. Won't happen. Tesla has lost a customer.

I'm not going to sell the car because It's the only car I have. I cringe every time I get into the car and have to look at the ugly instrument cluster. Sure takes a lot of the pleasure out of driving.

I respect other people who are OK with 7.0. And I'm OK with changes, but I did not expect such a drastic butchering of the interface.

Unless you have a classic and got suckered into V7 thinking it would be an improvement.

I still hate it and car remains garaged until they come to their senses. Soon to give up and sell it because it's my car. No longer theirs and I should have a choice.
It was fun while it lasted but now aggravated as could be about something I paid for was changed for the worse and made unsafe.
Like others, embarrassed to show the cartoons.
Went back to my truck. I am not going to wait much longer on hope they fix it. Such a shame they have no consideration for the 40,000 or so folks that have non autopilot cars that got them where they are by word of mouth advertising. Used to be positive now negative.
Should have been fixed by now with at least an option for reversion.

Unless you have a classic and got suckered into V7 thinking it would be an improvement.

I still hate it and car remains garaged until they come to their senses. Soon to give up and sell it because it's my car. No longer theirs and I should have a choice.
It was fun while it lasted but now aggravated as could be about something I paid for was changed for the worse and made unsafe.
Like others, embarrassed to show the cartoons.
Went back to my truck. I am not going to wait much longer on hope they fix it. Such a shame they have no consideration for the 40,000 or so folks that have non autopilot cars that got them where they are by word of mouth advertising. Used to be positive now negative.
Should have been fixed by now with at least an option for reversion.

Don't you think you are being a little melodramatic?

Service on the car forced it to come up to V7. I was putting it off...

Anyway, V7 now I live.

I think there are lots of things wrong and right with it.

It's not ideal.

The ideal next version of UI is being designed over here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-v8-UI-commons-project!?highlight=open+source

Oh, I see, not much constructive input has happened.

Let's channel this energy of improvement in that thread.

Someone hates with a passion the new 7.0 interface like I do.

I think that it's the epitome of arrogance that Tesla shoves the new interface down the throat of people that own the "classic" MS. This should have been a fork of the software to keep cars without AP hardware at 6.X. I have absolutely no interest in AP and resent being forced into this abysmal interface.

My biggest issue is the contrast problem in bright day light. I cannot see the speedometer numbers, I cannot see the lettering in the ugly trip odometer or the icons at the top of the 17" screen other than the Tesla logo. The worst part is the horrible navigation screen on the IC. It is a severe safety issue. With sunglasses, impossible.

Right now, I will not recommend a Tesla to anyone, and I will never purchase another Tesla product. I was going to get a Model 3 for my wife. Won't happen. Tesla has lost a customer.

I'm not going to sell the car because It's the only car I have. I cringe every time I get into the car and have to look at the ugly instrument cluster. Sure takes a lot of the pleasure out of driving.

I respect other people who are OK with 7.0. And I'm OK with changes, but I did not expect such a drastic butchering of the interface.

Please be sure to send your comments to: [email protected] to make sure Tesla sees them. Posting here is no guarantee of that.

I've already fought with Tesla Software Engineering about the contrast issue. They ignored me.

Another issue they ignored me about was a bug that was introduced in 7.0 that screwed up my lifetime average energy usage that I have been saving on trip A. My accumulated energy since I got the car was over 10,000 kWh with a lifetime wh/mi average of 276. When 7.0 installed all of a sudden my energy meter was halved to about 5500 kWh which gave me an average of 143 Wh/mi. I sent them pictures and several emails and not even get an acknowledgement of the issue. Interestingly enough, I have not heard of anyone else complaining of this problem. So maybe mine was a fluke.

Please be sure to send your comments to: [email protected] to make sure Tesla sees them. Posting here is no guarantee of that.

Don't you think you are being a little melodramatic?
Not at all on a $120,000 purchase that is now not what I wanted and nowhere near the quality and innovation of technology. Leading reason I purchased it. Now someone else's decision to put me in a position of losing a lot of money or hating driving something I loved driving last month.
Dumb it down to get an Cadillac driver to not be fearful of technology to sell a car? Dumb

I'm sorry you feel that way. There are several things I dislike about 7.0, which is why I'm holding out on 6.2 still, but nothing on the level that you are experiencing. As far as innovation? I'm not sure I can name another auto manufacturer that is innovating at the pace of Tesla. Sometimes we need to take the good with the bad.

I firmly believe that Tesla will address most, if not all, of the identified issues in 7.1.

For those who would sell their Model S because of 7.0 software, remember that your new buyer should be pleased that the software in your used Tesla is the same as a new Tesla. For most new buyers, they will appreciate the latest interface updates that keep the car operating just like a new vehicle manufactured recently at the factory.

The Model S is still great to drive. It's just sad about how the interface has been degraded. I guess when you have an almost perfect interface and someone says "It has to be changed", what you get is going to be worse by definition.

I wish we would stop stating opinion as if it were empirical fact. Ok to criticize specific fact, such as lack of climate control info on tab. Just getting tired of reading "it's worse" when poster really means "I don't like it". For me, it took some time to adjust. Just drove on 2000 mi trip. I now have 28k mi logged on original UI and 3k on 7. Fact is: different. Fact is: humans take time to adjust to different. My experience and opinion: completely adjusted, happy. many things I like better, a few I like less.

Ok to criticize specific fact, such as lack of climate control info on tab. Just getting tired of reading "it's worse" when poster really means "I don't like it".

I hear you, but I think there is some pretty good evidence that "worse" is not an inaccurate assessment. You mention that lack of HVAC info, but we've discussed very poor contrast (almost impossible to see in the daytime with sunglasses), the re-location of information to sub-optimal spots on the screen and so forth. I am in the "don't like it" camp, but I do believe it is because it is "worse".

I don't care for the new "flat" UI on the 17" screen, but I can get used to that. For me, it is really the center dash that is the big problem.

Similar UI issues when I upgraded to Microsoft Windows 7. I skipped W8 , holding off on W10. Generally people resist change, at least for me as I got get older.

BTW, thanks for all the comments on V7.0 I'm still postponing the update from 6.2 every morning.
Interestingly I never received a new software notice on my iPhone until today. Is TESLA trying to tell me something ?

I've had 4 retina detachments and can tell you that for me, V7 is worse. The contrast difference between the foreground and background makes reading items almost impossible for me. V6.2 was fine. Now I have to remove my glasses (regular glasses, not sunglasses) and lean forward close to the instrument cluster to determine what is on the instrument cluster. For me, V7 creates a less safe driving situation.