Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I empathize with all about the notion that we're "getting left out", but honestly, what do you really expect/want? This has always been clearly understood about new technology. The bleeding edge is expensive. In a year or two, this debate will continue, as a new version of autopilot rolls out and the owners with VIN's below 150k find that they don't have the ability to benefit from it. You can't expect that Tesla is going to continue upgrading hardware, just to keep older vehicles in check with the latest version.
It takes people varying amounts of time to reach Stage 5, Acceptance. :biggrin:

I have a question that I have not seen mentioned. I have a P85 with the parking sensor retrofit. When in traffic, if I get too close to the car in front (or a car in back gets too close to me), the left portion of the instrument cluster changes from showing the navigation, music playing (or whatever you have selected for that side) to showing a picture of my car with an indication of the distance to the other car (including dinging and displaying "STOP" if the distance is less than about 12 inches). Does this still function in the same way with V7.0? I received V7.0 yesterday, but have not installed it yet.

Have the message, haven't started the update yet.

TPMS - I don't care if it can't tell which wheel it's on, I'd like to see them even if it's on the wrong corner. Or a list - say on the service page. I'll check them all until I find the offender.
Day Of Week - Damn, I use this all the time to remind me which rehearsal to go to.
New clock - Ugly use of too much area. I don't care, I just won't use it.
Range estimate/battery icon - Battery icon I don't really care. I may need my reading glasses for range now, the pre-7.0 numbers were nice and large.
Climate - Like others, I agree there should be an indicator of status constantly displayed - AC on-off, Recirc, Flow control... Pre 7.0, the 4-blade fan icon used to show the fan speed by partially filling in the blades. Is this gone too now?
Reported efficiency improvements/torque sleep at 0 - I really look forward to this.

I'm sure I'll break down and hit the button, but I'm hesitant this time.

Some people are claiming they "feel" them even though they are not in the release notes. I suspect this is similar to "regen is reduced in this firmware" that happens after almost every update.
Regen has been reduced in the firmware. I have a benchmark road I test it on.

Fully warmed pack, that is able to take the full regen power, if I remove foot immediately as I pass the 55mph speed limit sign while doing exactly 60, I will be doing 5mph as I approach the stop light. Thats how it was when I got my car. as well as all the loaners I had back in 2013. NOW, however, in the same exact spot, where nothing else has changed, done exactly the same, I arrive at that stop light doing ~18mph in my Classic version car, and with EVERY autopilot loaner I've had, I've arrived at the light doing 25-30mph. My benchmark proves changes were made. I do not like it, I actually wanted STRONGER regen then what I had when I got my car. Not less.

Have the message, haven't started the update yet.

TPMS - I don't care if it can't tell which wheel it's on, I'd like to see them even if it's on the wrong corner. Or a list - say on the service page. I'll check them all until I find the offender.
Day Of Week - Damn, I use this all the time to remind me which rehearsal to go to.
New clock - Ugly use of too much area. I don't care, I just won't use it.
Range estimate/battery icon - Battery icon I don't really care. I may need my reading glasses for range now, the pre-7.0 numbers were nice and large.
Climate - Like others, I agree there should be an indicator of status constantly displayed - AC on-off, Recirc, Flow control... Pre 7.0, the 4-blade fan icon used to show the fan speed by partially filling in the blades. Is this gone too now?
Reported efficiency improvements/torque sleep at 0 - I really look forward to this.

I'm sure I'll break down and hit the button, but I'm hesitant this time.

I agree. Even if tires don't line up to position, I'd like to see the pressures. I did not get the update yet. If I knew I'd get the long hill hold function and the individual readout of tire pressure I would probably do it. I have a Sept 2014 P85 VIN 49947. Just about after the I picked it up they announced the "D" and auto pilot.

Last edited:
Just got Version 7.0. WOW. This is terrible. The dashboard used to have shaded areas around the buttons giving them a 3D pop. Now they look 2 dimensional. The app bar at the top used to float in a grey mesh where the icons seemed to float over the background. Now it's all matte black and shows fingerprints more.
What a letdown. Can I go back to the old version?
No you can't. Which is the reason why quite a few of us are declining the update.
If you have ANY hesitation about what you've seen posted / discussed, I suggest that you don't update until you've seen it in a car and made up your mind if you can live with the new experience. The number of people who have posted that they upgraded and now hate it is disheartening.

the flatness of the audio 'app' is pretty blah looking, but the maximized audio is nicer since it uses all the screen. Center car icon, where speedo is, is nice since you can once again see if your brake lights are coming on when regenning. definitely tradeoffs.
I tried a 0-60 pull with an ipod accelerometer app and got 4.26s but I spun hard at the 35-40ish area - this is with RE71R 275s on the rear. not sure if the pull is harder in the >45mph area, need to test a bit more

I've decided that I will NOT be updating, after seeing a Friends Classic in person. Future service visits will be accompanied with a warning, "If you update the firmware to the new design, which causes reduced functionality, and materially effects the functionality of the vehicle I purchased, I will refuse acceptance upon completion of the service".

That's exactly my plan also.

Here's what I think (Warning -- rant ahead):

I realize that the "dedicated followers of fashion" among us think that the Apple-esque dumbed-down crudely rendered esthetically offensive UI is just great. My thought is that it looks like something that one would see on a $20K car -- cheap, cheap cheap. It's the kind of work that had its genesis in the efforts by Apple to appeal to semi-illiterate teenage smart phone users --people who are uncomfortable with text, letters and all that other hard stuff, and who wouldn't know a design element if it bit them on the ass.

Think that's too harsh? Well, let's talk specifics, ignore the 17" screen and just focus on the "instrument" cluster.. First, while the individual elements vary in importance, we use every item of information which is presented on the present screen. The new interface removes some of those items completely, hides others and inserts a cartoon car in the middle of our vision. First, we already know what color our cars are. Second, we already have turn signal indicators which are far better that what is offered in the new interface. Third, we already have a headlights-on indicator. Fourth, we don't care when our brake lights are on (what could we possibly do with that information anyway). I could go on....

The overall effect is to compete for our attention with shiny fluctuating lights, distracting us from the few remaining useful items of information which survived the purge.

My wife and I have done "show and tells" to several thousand people over the past three years, but that would come to a sudden halt if we were forced to show the 7.0 interface. It would be so much like the slapped together amateurish displays on a super cheap car that would be just too embarrassing.

I would regard Tesla forcing this upgrade on our Model S cars and removing information displays that were part of the purchase of our cars as vandalism, just as surely as if they removed the sun visors just to get a smoother look in the interior. Regardless of what Tesla thinks, we paid cash, have the titles and OWN our two Model S Signatures. When Tesla offers upgrades that we believe are useful, that's fine, but when they attempt to take away elements that are part of the cars we bought we have the right to refuse.

the flatness of the audio 'app' is pretty blah looking, but the maximized audio is nicer since it uses all the screen. Center car icon, where speedo is, is nice since you can once again see if your brake lights are coming on when regenning. definitely tradeoffs.
I do like the minor media app improvement. I do find I resent that it's two years later and the media app is still worse than that of my decade-old economy car, though. Maybe in 7.1, I suppose.

I really wish I could see the brake lights on the toy car. Not sure I understand the purpose of the thing as-is, given it takes up prime real estate and provides literally no value. Maybe it's just those with red cars that are affected?

My quick review. Excuse the salty language. I hate this update so much.

I got it and installed it last night. I dislike it, but not as much as I thought I would...but that's only because they kept the "compass ring" speedo/energy meter combo for "classic" cars.

Everything they changed, they made worse...with one exception that I've found.

In no particular order:

1. They moved the "range" and battery icon from front-and-center below the speed readout to the lower left of the display. And they made both smaller. Now you can't really use the battery icon to tell how much juice you've got left. The miles are still visible, at least until Nav gives you a course direction, in which case the whole thing is obscured.

This is colossally stupid. The range display is, IMHO, the most important single readout in the entire ****ing car.

2. They replaced the range readout with a pictogram of the car. It's brake lights and turn signals really light up! This will amuse my 5 year old. It provides literally no useful information that isn't already conveyed more clearly somewhere else.

Oh, and they also replaced it with the odometer. I look at that maybe once a month? But glad to see it occupying a valuable piece of real estate.

3. The "selectable" energy display in the instrument cluster has lost all fidelity. There are no number gradations on it anymore. You get the same graph you've always gotten, but what does the graph mean? You're left to guess. It does still tell you what your average wattage use is, but that's the only number on the thing.

4. Time/date/temp are all gone from the instrument cluster. Temp and time are in the 17" display. Day/date is just gone, unless you look at the calendar icon, but that doesn't tell you the day.

5. The new flat UI looks like ass. Maybe it gives a performance benefit? It looks like something a ****ing Amiga would have displayed. I guess this is modern and stylish, though, because Jony Ive is a jerk.

6. Some folks are upset about changes to the trip meter and the climate control display. I don't really use either so they don't bug me, except on principle.

7. The clock "app." I think this must be a joke on Tesla's part. Or a troll. No one could think this looks good.

So what's the one thing that works better? When you set the media controls to full screen, they have more utility than they did before. I never do that, so I don't care, but I guess some people do?

Whatever. It's really annoyingly stupid that they've made my car worse.

+1 on all these points well written!

I do like the minor media app improvement. I do find I resent that it's two years later and the media app is still worse than that of my decade-old economy car, though. Maybe in 7.1, I suppose.

I really wish I could see the brake lights on the toy car. Not sure I understand the purpose of the thing as-is, given it takes up prime real estate and provides literally no value. Maybe it's just those with red cars that are affected?

Maybe. I have no problem seeing the brake light indicator.

That's exactly my plan also.

Here's what I think (Warning -- rant ahead):

I realize that the "dedicated followers of fashion" among us think that the Apple-esque dumbed-down crudely rendered esthetically offensive UI is just great. My thought is that it looks like something that one would see on a $20K car -- cheap, cheap cheap. It's the kind of work that had its genesis in the efforts by Apple to appeal to semi-illiterate teenage smart phone users --people who are uncomfortable with text, letters and all that other hard stuff, and who wouldn't know a design element if it bit them on the ass.

Think that's too harsh? Well, let's talk specifics, ignore the 17" screen and just focus on the "instrument" cluster.. First, while the individual elements vary in importance, we use every item of information which is presented on the present screen. The new interface removes some of those items completely, hides others and inserts a cartoon car in the middle of our vision. First, we already know what color our cars are. Second, we already have turn signal indicators which are far better that what is offered in the new interface. Third, we already have a headlights-on indicator. Fourth, we don't care when our brake lights are on (what could we possibly do with that information anyway). I could go on....

The overall effect is to compete for our attention with shiny fluctuating lights, distracting us from the few remaining useful items of information which survived the purge.

My wife and I have done "show and tells" to several thousand people over the past three years, but that would come to a sudden halt if we were forced to show the 7.0 interface. It would be so much like the slapped together amateurish displays on a super cheap car that would be just too embarrassing.

I would regard Tesla forcing this upgrade on our Model S cars and removing information displays that were part of the purchase of our cars as vandalism, just as surely as if they removed the sun visors just to get a smoother look in the interior. Regardless of what Tesla thinks, we paid cash, have the titles and OWN our two Model S Signatures. When Tesla offers upgrades that we believe are useful, that's fine, but when they attempt to take away elements that are part of the cars we bought we have the right to refuse.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Here's my rant.

Ive seen several people say now they know how roadster people felt when model S came out. Uh...we are all driving a model s. I don't care about AP honestly if my car totaled out right now I'm not sure id get AP. I don't like it or most of its functions. I do however have a PERFORMANCE car at least when I turn it on it says P85 but it doesn't keep up P wise. I also have a newer DU and a D pack battery. My only hope is that we'll receive something with 7.1 otherwise can we really continue to say that our car improves? I find 7.0 a real fail.

Data point--both of our cars (see build dates & VINs below) got the same 7.0.2.7.56 firmware last night. I get the 'new old' UI, and no TPMS readout or 'new' hill hold. The HVAC is better/cooler--had to adjust the temperature set points up today. I do like the 'toy car' display that shows brake & tail lights. Haven't gotten to play with Autopilot on my wife's S70D.

Good Lord man. Just sell your Tesla and move on with life.

My quick review. Excuse the salty language. I hate this update so much.

I got it and installed it last night. I dislike it, but not as much as I thought I would...but that's only because they kept the "compass ring" speedo/energy meter combo for "classic" cars.

Everything they changed, they made worse...with one exception that I've found.

In no particular order:

1. They moved the "range" and battery icon from front-and-center below the speed readout to the lower left of the display. And they made both smaller. Now you can't really use the battery icon to tell how much juice you've got left. The miles are still visible, at least until Nav gives you a course direction, in which case the whole thing is obscured.

This is colossally stupid. The range display is, IMHO, the most important single readout in the entire ****ing car.

2. They replaced the range readout with a pictogram of the car. It's brake lights and turn signals really light up! This will amuse my 5 year old. It provides literally no useful information that isn't already conveyed more clearly somewhere else.

Oh, and they also replaced it with the odometer. I look at that maybe once a month? But glad to see it occupying a valuable piece of real estate.

3. The "selectable" energy display in the instrument cluster has lost all fidelity. There are no number gradations on it anymore. You get the same graph you've always gotten, but what does the graph mean? You're left to guess. It does still tell you what your average wattage use is, but that's the only number on the thing.

4. Time/date/temp are all gone from the instrument cluster. Temp and time are in the 17" display. Day/date is just gone, unless you look at the calendar icon, but that doesn't tell you the day.

5. The new flat UI looks like ass. Maybe it gives a performance benefit? It looks like something a ****ing Amiga would have displayed. I guess this is modern and stylish, though, because Jony Ive is a jerk.

6. Some folks are upset about changes to the trip meter and the climate control display. I don't really use either so they don't bug me, except on principle.

7. The clock "app." I think this must be a joke on Tesla's part. Or a troll. No one could think this looks good.

So what's the one thing that works better? When you set the media controls to full screen, they have more utility than they did before. I never do that, so I don't care, but I guess some people do?

Whatever. It's really annoyingly stupid that they've made my car worse.

I think the screen shot of the beta version showing the performance enhancement for RWD was the killer here. None of us would be disappointed now if it was never mentioned. But this one screen shot set the expectation and now everyone is disappointed.

We got a faster UI, more efficient AC, a slightly efficiency improvement with torque sleep at stand still and a modern UI. It's OK. We are just pissed because we expected what we saw in the screen shot.

I think the screen shot of the beta version showing the performance enhancement for RWD was the killer here. None of us would be disappointed now if it was never mentioned. But this one screen shot set the expectation and now everyone is disappointed.

While I do not disagree with you David, I think we still would be a bit miffed because 85 RWD owners w/ AP got the performance improvement in their release notes and we would be asking what's different about S85s, P85s, and P85+s w/o AP that they couldn't get the same improvements. Until now, I had been under the impression that a brand new 85 RWD was equivalent (in the drivetrain) to my S85 w/o AP. Guess that isn't the case.