Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another change that I haven't seen mentioned yet and I don't understand the purpose of-- at the top row of the 17" screen a battery icon used to bring up the charging screen. Now the icon is changed to a lightening bolt. The battery icon showed the state of charge but the icon now is static. It's lost useful information. There is a clock icon with the lightening bolt now if charging is scheduled, but that icon could have bee added to the old battery icon as well.

Having read the comments and seen the screenshots I have decided to wait this one out.
The cons outweigh the pros this time unfortunately.
Hoping 7.1 puts things right...

Yep. Me too. First update that I've had to sit out on in 3 years of ownership.

Another change that I haven't seen mentioned yet and I don't understand the purpose of-- at the top row of the 17" screen a battery icon used to bring up the charging screen. Now the icon is changed to a lightening bolt. The battery icon showed the state of charge but the icon now is static. It's lost useful information. There is a clock icon with the lightening bolt now if charging is scheduled, but that icon could have bee added to the old battery icon as well.

Tesla just wants us to put our full faith and confidence in Range Assurance and never worry about numbers and SOCs. This must also be why they chose to minimize the range display on the IC

And it's still there in the lower left corner. Easily visible with a quick glance. If they had hidden in behind a window on the 17" screen or forced it into one of the apps in the IC then I would understand the level of frustration on this point. I too would like it to return to the center but it's hardly gone or hidden in any way.
It is hidden when navigation is giving directions.

They do monitor pressure, but they don't output the actual PSI reading. The only output that the pressure is acceptable, or that it is low.
That's actually reported to be false. We've seen the diagnostic screen where the PSIs were reported. It's just that it was impossible to associate each of the four reading with a specific tire. So they could give us an unordered list, but that's it.

This is not surprising. The TPMS sensors aren't car-specific or preloaded with a PSI. They send the PSI back to the car to make the determination. That's why you can buy generic units on Tire Rack and have them work.

So I noticed on the drive home it's not every Nav instruction; just some of them. But here's an example of what I'm talking about.
fbded27da03cbd37ad4696c25f0291a1.jpg

It's too dark. If I turn up the brightness, the 17" becomes too bright. With sunglasses on as I drove east this morning, I could hardly see the center dash compared to the 17"

^^ I noticed this today as well. With my sunglasses on, I could not read the speedometer digits. This is a disaster, in my opinion. Tesla didn't do its homework here and Elon should answer for the reduction in usability.

- - - Updated - - -

HATE this new, meaningless lightning bolt icon. As you said, it no longer conveys information. It's also squished in there and I find it difficult to put my finger on it. What was so wrong with the way it was before??

- - - Updated - - -

That's actually reported to be false. We've seen the diagnostic screen where the PSIs were reported. It's just that it was impossible to associate each of the four reading with a specific tire. So they could give us an unordered list, but that's it.

This is not surprising. The TPMS sensors aren't car-specific or preloaded with a PSI. They send the PSI back to the car to make the determination. That's why you can buy generic units on Tire Rack and have them work.

Yep, service can see my individual tire pressures, but as an owner, I'm apparently not to be trusted with such sensitive information. They can be associated with individual tires, they would just have to be manually associated. Which is EASY! Just lower the pressure on one tire, check the TPMS readout, and assign the lower pressure tire to the location of the tire whose pressure you just lowered! Good lord, Tesla could reduce this to a simple wizard that could walk a person through re-association after a tire rotation.

This is similar to my beef about the speed assist feature not being applicable to all cars with navigation, regardless of whether or not they have the AP sensors. This information is already available in the navigation database, we all have it, so why not let us have a GPS/nav-based version of speed assist?

Doing the above kind of stuff is what would impress me. They would actually be giving us real features and improvements instead of gimmicks.

And really, there was no way to give those without electromechanical brakes the new and improved version of brake/hill hold? I mean, if you can hold it for two seconds already using the existing feature, why can't you hold it indefinitely until the pedal is pressed? The software can already control the brakes in the older cars. It's doing it already.

Last edited:
Really ? I just compare the GPS distance left to the energy graph Estimated Range left (based on actual consumption). Both are on the 17 inches screen.

So you have to look to your right and compare two different readouts as opposed to just glancing down to get the same information, but in more complicated form?
I am so with HankLloydRight (and plenty of other folks on this one). How often do you check your total odometer reading? The swap is flat out moronic.

I'm not liking this update. Moving the time over to the right of the 17" makes it hard to see (when it was just fine under the speedo). Now I'm going to have to have the kids tell me if we are going to be late when I'm taking them to school. I liked the range in the center too.

Man… the headlight white blob will be really annoying when driving at night. Last thing I want is a big bright white spot on the middle of my speedo when driving at night...

I think I'm going to hold off on installing for now (received this morning, but I haven't installed yet). This is the first update I haven't installed on the same day I received it...

I'll drop an email to Tesla tomorrow. I really like the overall design -- its just the moved or reduced info that is really annoying here.

So I noticed on the drive home it's not every Nav instruction; just some of them. But here's an example of what I'm talking about.
fbded27da03cbd37ad4696c25f0291a1.jpg

You know, I was starting to lean to just install it and not worry about it, but as I look at JST's screenshot, I think I'm going to wait. The energy app is fugly and doesn't provide as much value as the 6.2 version. If the would just use 6.2's and out the batter bar and prevented where the odometer is in the center, I would go along with the install. But right now, I would give up a near perfect display for something that just doesn't impress me.

at the top row of the 17" screen a battery icon used to bring up the charging screen. Now the icon is changed to a lightening bolt. The battery icon showed the state of charge but the icon now is static. It's lost useful information.

In 2.5 years, I never looked at that battery icon once unless I was trying to push it. There's a big 'ole indicator right in front of your face. Don't even have to turn your head.

I'd much rather simplify the things that don't really "need" to be dynamic to save clock cycles for the things that do. I was really hoping that the UI would be a little snappier, but it seems to still be slightly laggy when pushing buttons.

My thinking in the lead-up to V7: "I don't have Autopilot, but it looks like we're getting improved efficiency, a performance boost, and hopefully a resolution for the clunky near-0 mph behavior! It's awesome Tesla hasn't forgotten about us."
Today after installing V7: "Oh. :crying:"

Can confirm my 25k VIN received only the efficiency-enhancing torque sleep. No performance or throttle behavior improvements noted. I'm sure those were likely to be minor, and I probably wouldn't have noticed, but still... ouch.

Just looking at the speedometer gauge, completely mismatched from every other UI change, can leave no doubt that we're owners of firmly 2nd-class (or lower) vehicles. Clearly not the end of the world, still a great car, but disappointing.

Side note: I wonder what changed that allows for improved performance with the P85 AP-enabled cars. I had an all-new drivetrain put in back in January, so it doesn't seem to be that. Updated battery?
I wonder the same thing. I had a new DU put in too, which was the latest revision (for refurb DU's that is)... I wonder if my car has a compatible DU now, but didn't get the update because my VIN was too low... that is, unless the software can detect the DU revision and apply the performance update if your hardware supports it? SO many questions.

Once again, Tesla's promises were in absolutes (non-AP cars will see performance improvements) but the reality was a bit shy of the promise. Tesla's all too common MO of sometimes over promising and then slightly under delivering...

I suspect they did intentionally emphasise odometer and deemphasize range as part of their general message that range isn't an issue with a Tesla and you can use it as an every day car.
Personally I need to see remaining range much more than odometer, so I prefer the old way on this one.