Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps my pre-7.0 pic is too blurry then. I don't see it on there.

Just doing a really quick search, I found this, from a post made in March. I don't know if the feature was brand new then, or if the poster may have been "discovering" it late, as you did. I'm just posting this to clear up any doubt as to whether or not it's new now.

One thing I noticed, not sure when it was implemented,

The "Calendar" Icon shows the current date.

Not piling on Max, but I see this as opportunity for Tesla to further differentiate itself. I also have an atypical build 6', but with shorter legs and longer torso. Unless I leaned the seat back further than I would have liked head hit the roof of my Mitsubishi 3000GT, while there were guys in the user forums there who were 6'3" with no headroom problems.

It would be wonderful if the vertical positions of the different areas of the Tesla IC were user-adjustable. None of us would have to make tradeoffs between visibility and comfort/driving position.

Just doing a really quick search, I found this, from a post made in March. I don't know if the feature was brand new then, or if the poster may have been "discovering" it late, as you did. I'm just posting this to clear up any doubt as to whether or not it's new now.
You're correct, I found a screenshot on the 6.2 thread that clearly shows the date. I guess I never noticed and my pre-7.0 pic is too blurry or washed out to show it.

Not necessarily. And this is a very dangerous misconception.

The current autopilot hardware has no rear-facing radar. The only way the car can "see" anything behind it is with the ultrasonics, which have a range of 16 feet.

If you attempt to change lanes into a lane with a car coming up rapidly behind you, you are probably going to have some sort of a problem.

In that case I believe rear-facing radar should be installed as well.

A few impressions and an idea:

I've done a few drives with auto-steer and auto-lane-change enabled, and wow, this is great. Admittedly, most of my drives have been short freeway drives in fairly heavy SF Bay Area traffic, and I'm a little skittish about letting the car take control, and my hands have never been more than an inch away from the wheel. We've got some longer drives planned for this weekend and I'm looking forwarding to giving the system a better work-out. But overall I'm pretty impressed at the smoothness of lane-keeping and lane-changes...not quite the way I'd drive but pretty good for a machine. Some people mentioned the car preferring one side of the lane to another...I've noticed that too. I'm hoping this will only improve over time.

The new UI definitely takes some getting used to. I like the new aesthetics (flatter, darker), seems easier on my eyes.

But geez I really miss the speed tapes (er, analog speedometer and instantaneous power meter). I understand that when you're running in AP mode (or getting ready to engage it) you want the car sensor data, the miniature car, etc. But if I'm driving totally manually, I'd much rather have the old instrument cluster.

OK. The idea (insert disclaimers about possibly having missed this in the hundreds of posts, which I *have* tried to read, or maybe having overlooked some reason this can't work):

Right now in the initial 7.0 software, the button that used to enable or disable TACC doesn't do anything. Why not make that button a toggle between "fully manual" and "AP ready" modes? In "fully manual" mode, TACC and AP are disabled and we get the speedometer / power meter dial from 6.2, or alternatively the IC dial that 7.0 gives to the non-AP cars (with the analog speedometer and power meter, i.e. this: #22). Push the button and it toggles to "AP ready" mode, with the miniature car and sensor data (what AP cars have now). When you're done with AP, hit the button again to get back the analog instruments.

Feel free to flame away, just give me a few seconds to put on my asbestos suit.

Very good video for a 2AM drive. Thank you. Very informative and real-life.

Further clarifications and videos will come later, but this is my standard bearer for now :) Awesome.

Thanks! I was definitely sleepy during the drive. As a matter of fact, I went back to look at it during the afternoon while more awake, and thought to myself: "holy cow, I really said that?" LOL

So far so good with 7.0. Enjoyed autosteer and auto-lane-change on a 25-mile each way airport run last night on, at times, sketchy stretches of freeway.

There was some mild ping pong going where there were old, defunct lane markers inside real lanes. But, zero nags in a full 50-mile drive (interspersed with some manual driving when changing freeways, at the airport, etc.).

Experienced a couple of attempts by autosteer to take exits when in the right most lane although I wanted to go straight.

The UI will have to grow on me. The clock is a joke (couldn't they put in a seconds hand to make it a bit more lively?!) and I do miss the prominent orange/green dance in the center.

All good until I plugged in for the first time after the update, at work today:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445012914.832856.jpg

Hope it's temporary and will go away after I unplug and head out.

That said - It's concerning to hear people say the autopilot can at times make us feel "uneasy" because of the sometimes unreliability of it on some roads and that we'll "hopefully get used to it".

Ugh - I hope nobody EVER gets used to driving closer to the left edge of the lane than "your liking" (it's to nobody's liking). I hope nobody gets used to hanging out with their hands down and their feet away from the brakes (at least with this version), and I hope nobody gets used to relying on sensors to tell us when we need to grab the wheel. As some of us have likely experienced, the combined time of the car noticing a problem - notifying you - and then your reaction.. Sorry - in some cases down the road that time is going to be too long to keep us safe (I swear I'm not a parent). The notice from tesla to keep your hands on the wheel... I'm starting to take that seriously.

I think that this is a great first step (or "beta") but the full Autopilot package still needs some work. Hopefully it is "learning" quickly as we've been led to believe but I agree that Tesla's admonition to keep your hands on the wheel is a good idea at this point in time. I have done 3 trips and about 150 miles of Autopilot driving so far and surprised no one else has mentioned any concerns about the front sensors. While I seem to be getting accurate alerts from the rear side sensors, the front side sensors do not seem to be nearly sensitive enough for heavy traffic. When approaching another vehicle in the lane next to me from behind, I often get no reading or an indication that it is further away then reality. This has been a little scary when the car would shift to that side of the lane and the other vehicle was a semi-trailer truck only a few inches away!

I will try to take a video over the weekend when I have someone else in the car and it is safe to do so but has anyone else had any similar experiences?
Does anyone know if the side sensors are all the same or if they have different ranges?
I am getting pretty good readings from my rear side sensors but not from the front. (maybe I have a malfunctioning sensor?)

Rice, also don't worry about not being a parent. Not all of us have always been one and I'm sure your day will come someday!:wink:

I got the same error message yesterday right after the update finished. I was a little nervous for a while. I went out and cleaned the front radar, unplugged and it wasn't there anymore. So I don't know if it was the radar or just being plugged in.

I made a 30-mile highway run at rush hour yesterday using the new Autopilot features in my late-2014 P85D, and I must say that it's pretty good for a beta release. Even with TACC spacing set at 1 there is still enough room for people to want to squeeze in front of me; I watched pretty carefully the first few times it happened, but the software always caught the incursion and smoothly adjusted. It did try to take a left exit once, when I was driving in the left lane; worse, there was a lane split at one point (2 thru lanes left, 2 thru lanes right, with a hard barrier between the lanes after the split), and the software threw up its figurative hands even though I was intending to stay in the same, continuous lane with no ambiguity in the markings.

After parking for three hours I came out to the car to find that the frunk hood had popped open in my absence, and there was a service-needed warning on the center console, referring to the touchscreen. Rebooted both screens and it went away, and nothing like that has happened since.

As for the UI, I expect I'll get used to it and may even come to like it. It's already grown on me in the one day I've had it.

I have not had an opportunity to test auto-parking yet.

Drove about 100 miles yesterday, most of it with auto pilot. Today I took the car out with my 360 degree camera (low quality, sorry.. higher quality one is being used to film a movie currently) and put up a video on youtube showing auto pilot on the highway.

Tesla Autopilot Demo 360 - YouTube

In general my first impressions after using it for a day and a half are I love it! It worked really well on the highway yesterday even in stop and go traffic. Non-highways were iffy yesterday having to take over quite a lot. Today they actually seemed to work better. Not sure if it was placebo or other conditions (i.e. following more cars) or if skynet actually learned over night since I was driving the same segments but it was remarkably better!

Last edited by a moderator:
"YOUR AUTOPILOT HAS ARRIVED" the three emails from Tesla say.

Wow, they really do not know how to communicate, do they. Nor, apparently, how to personalize emails based on customer's car. You know, owners who DON'T OWN autopilot hardware or parking sensors or any of that. Sure would be nice if Tesla could not rub it in. They even try to get you to trade in your apparently now crappy pre-autopilot Model S so you can "arrive" too.

Tesla's communications are clueless.

that is a lot more gentle that I had started to write and then ended up not posting. Yes, their PR and overall communication is source of massive embarrassment.