Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked at the local service center about the post .77 updates I've been hearing about.

They checked with Tesla HQ and said .77 is newest and that the others are the same as .77 just with different numbers.

Seems kind of odd.
Of course it's not the same. With software it makes no sense in rolling out the same thing with different version numbers. That would just add confusion.
But with that said, I have no idea what the difference is between 2.8.188 (which I have) and 2.7.77.

I asked at the local service center about the post .77 updates I've been hearing about.

They checked with Tesla HQ and said .77 is newest and that the others are the same as .77 just with different numbers.

Seems kind of odd.

Dot releases are usually the same functionally except for bug fixes or tweaks for a specific config. Tesla has never provided release note changes for the small stuff, so we never know. I wouldn't get hung up on it. If they loaded .77 during service, then .77 is latest that SC has for your car. The fact someone has reported a higher dot number and you did not get it means nothing. Over time, you will be kept current.

After reading the last several posts I double checked and I was indeed upgraded to 2.7.77. The differences I have noticed so far are 1) blue second hand on the analog clock, 2) temp and digital time on the driver's side display, and 3) Slacker music sound quality is definitely better. This could be a better codec in 77, or it could have to do with the LTE upgrade that was one reason the car was in the shop.

Dot releases are usually the same functionally except for bug fixes or tweaks for a specific config. Tesla has never provided release note changes for the small stuff, so we never know. I wouldn't get hung up on it. If they loaded .77 during service, then .77 is latest that SC has for your car. The fact someone has reported a higher dot number and you did not get it means nothing. Over time, you will be kept current.

Neither statement is always true actually. For example, going from one 6.2 version to another (2.4.168 to 2.4.188) added acceleration improvements and throttle responsiveness, which are both new "features", and were both outlined in the release notes below:

IMG_8797.jpg

Neither statement is always true actually. For example, going from one 6.2 version to another (2.4.168 to 2.4.188) added acceleration improvements and throttle responsiveness, which are both new "features", and were both outlined in the release notes below:

Right. That's why I said "usually". 90% of the time, there are no release note changes for dot releases. They don't provide release notes for small stuff such as bug fixes. The forum's release threads are a great place to go for anyone to see whether there are detectable or documented features in a firmware release.

Right. That's why I said "usually". 90% of the time, there are no release note changes for dot releases. They don't provide release notes for small stuff such as bug fixes. The forum's release threads are a great place to go for anyone to see whether there are detectable or documented features in a firmware release.

Yes, agreed Tesla generally doesn't provide dot-release notes, but there have been some exceptions. I was just responding to your statement that "Tesla has never provided release note changes for the small stuff, so we never know" which isn't true (never say never! :biggrin:)

Speaking of point releases, so like what the heck ??? A few weeks ago I was offered an update that was pulled, and then never re-released to me but now I see there have been a few other point releases, but only released to some ... ???

I'm still only a few months into the Model S experience, has this happened before ?

Speaking of point releases, so like what the heck ??? A few weeks ago I was offered an update that was pulled, and then never re-released to me but now I see there have been a few other point releases, but only released to some ... ???

I'm still only a few months into the Model S experience, has this happened before ?
Not unusual. Read this wiki
If you track release threads on forum and feel a specific release has passed you by for a month, maybe check with Service Center.

Was the pack extremely cold? It looks like you were power limited, I'm guessing due to the cold.

What's odd is that you had the alert about the regen limit without the actual dashed lines indicating the regen limit on the power meter.
Yes, I should have mentioned that the pack was nice and cold (parked outdoors all night in Minneapolis, temp was 27F when I took the pic but had been colder overnight). I agree that the lack of dashed lines or regen warning triangle on the power meter is not right. I filed a bug report.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the pack was nice and cold (parked outdoors all night in Minneapolis, temp was 27F when I took the pic but had been colder overnight). I agree that the lack of dashed lines or regen warning triangle on the power meter is not right. I filed a bug report.

Interesting. I experienced similar temperatures a week ago Sunday - in Ann Arbor by coincidence. Temperature was 25F when we left, car parked outdoors all night, low was a few degrees colder. I got regen limited warning but not disabled. Not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think on getting in the car the power showed yellow dash for power limited but not for regen limited, but the regen yellow dash showed up almost immediately after starting to drive and extended almost to zero regen.

I expect that this depends on battery charge as well as temperature and software version. FWIW, I was at 54% and am on 2.7.56

I expect that this depends on battery charge as well as temperature and software version. FWIW, I was at 54% and am on 2.7.56

Unfortunately I didn't think to capture SoC. It was probably somewhere in the range [40%, 90%] though. I don't exactly doubt that SoC could play a part, but do you have any hypothesized reason it would? When you're at 100% of course there's no regen, because there's no place to regen to. But for anything much below that, I'm not sure why it would be a factor. (I was definitely not at 100%, it was almost certainly caused by cold since driving around a bit cleared the warning.)

I'm also on 2.7.56.

First time I've seen this. Unlike the regen limited icon, it persists.

It happened to me yesterday after leaving my 3-year old P85 Sig outside overnight in temps in the low 20's F.. Version 7.0 (2.7.77).

I was curious about the power being used with 0 speed. That picture was with HVAC off and range mode off. With HVAC on, the power was about doubled, and with HVAC off and Range mode on, it went to almost 0. Clearly showing that range mode controls active battery pack heating at least with pack temps in the low 20's F.

Regen Disabled.JPG

The battery was at 221 rated miles. I get about 255 these days on a range charge, and got 265 when new.