Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few noticeable AP changes with 102.38.13
On surface streets AP restricts the speed to 45mph (in limited testing. I drove about 3 miles to test)
Also the car now detects and shows other cars in other lanes.
That's too bad. Out of curiosity, is your relative margin for Speed Assist set to 0 (under Settings > Driver Assistance > Speed Assist)? Since the speed limit warning can be set for some number of miles above the actual speed limit, it would be interesting to know if the autosteer limitation used that value instead of being absolute.

The multi-lane display is cool and all. But the really interesting thing about your screenshot is how you've used a negative amount of kW in 7 minutes! Is this road all downhill? :smile:

Just refreshed the page and saw your response that there seems to be a hard limit at 45 mph. Ugh.

If the restrictions are not something that can be overridden by the user, then unfortunately there will be no further updates to my P85D.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you press the accelerator while autosteer is restricted?

@dirkhh - your signature says you have a 2015 P85D. I'm assuming you didn't opt for the AP package and therefore see no benefit to 7.0 for you. Is that correct?
I ordered the tech package (and therefore have AP) but have no interest whatsoever in autosteer. I've gone through the list of things I dislike about v7 here multiple times, I don't see a point in repeating them. The one and only somewhat interesting thing to me in v7 is the ability to monitor my individual tire pressures. But I'd rather do this once a week with my manual pressure gage than having the terrible (IMHO) instrument cluster that comes with v7.

- - - Updated - - -

And these two photos mark my own boycotting of updates.

But wait, people who don't update are BAD! They slow down progress! They are annoying Tesla! They are... I'm too lazy to go back to all the things you and others have said about people who reject updates.

I continue to be happy on 6.2 :)

If the restrictions are not something that can be overridden by the user, then unfortunately there will be no further updates to my P85D.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you press the accelerator while autosteer is restricted?

Oh come on... You shouldn't be using auto steer on ANYTHING but a divided highway without cross intersections, so in other words a freeway. Due to people doing stupid stuff with AP, Tesla\Elon really had no choice but to introduce very fair and logical restrictions to the functionality to keep people from doing something stupid that could potentially be disastrous for the brand from a public perception perspective. It wouldn't have been an issue had there not been threads like "autopilot tried to kill me" and others like it with people using AP in situations where it clearly wasn't made for.

This response from Tesla is very reasonable IMHO and refusing to update so you can continue to use it in an unsafe and unsupported manor is exactly why Tesla should be forcing these updates, and not giving you a choice.

It's just like the people who want to stay on 6.2... I mean seriously people, really??? Especially if you have an AP car...

Jeff

Oh come on... You shouldn't be using auto steer on ANYTHING but a divided highway without cross intersections, so in other words a freeway. Due to people doing stupid stuff with AP, Tesla\Elon really had no choice but to introduce very fair and logical restrictions to the functionality to keep people from doing something stupid that could potentially be disastrous for the brand from a public perception perspective. It wouldn't have been an issue had there not been threads like "autopilot tried to kill me" and others like it with people using AP in situations where it clearly wasn't made for.

This response from Tesla is very reasonable IMHO and refusing to update so you can continue to use it in an unsafe and unsupported manor is exactly why Tesla should be forcing these updates, and not giving you a choice.

It's just like the people who want to stay on 6.2... I mean seriously people, really??? Especially if you have an AP car...

Jeff

Works just fine on two lane roads around here. Not sure how making me put my foot on the accelerator to go the speed limit instead of letting TACC do its job is any safer.

Works just fine on two lane roads around here. Not sure how making me put my foot on the accelerator to go the speed limit instead of letting TACC do its job is any safer.

I actually have to explain this to you? Really??? Your post shows why Tesla needs to further restrict this. On a two lane road with oncoming traffic is exactly where you should NEVER use AP, EVER. This isn't complicated at all. What if the system had a glitch in the data which caused your car to swerve into oncoming traffic causing a head on collision? While you'd be at fault, you'd probably blame Tesla and I can PROMISE you the media would without hesitation and without mercy or any attempt to understand that you were using it in a manor that wasn't approved as part of the T&Cs that you agreed to when you enabled the feature.

Working just fine is not the same as being safe, and being an acceptable use, not even close. I'm astonished that I have to explain this to an adult.

Jeff

Man do I need the "banging head agains the wall" meme...

Just because you claim to have went "thousands of miles in the last few weeks without an incident" doesn't make your behavior safe, acceptable, or within the T&C's. It's like saying "I have went skydiving hundreds of times and landed safely every time", you wouldn't think the activity of skydiving was safe because of that one persons experience would you?

I don't care how much driving you do, it's completely irrelevant. The point is, if you're using AP on a two lane road, or a road without a center divider, or a road with intersections, stop signs, stop lights, etc... Then your using it in an unsafe manor and against the T&Cs you agreed to when you enabled the feature.

Tesla tried to trust it's owners to use their heads and be smart about this new technology but that was simply too much of an expectation it would seem. It's unfortunate because it will likely impact the feature in a negative way for those of us who can actually read and follow the guidelines we agreed to when we enabled the feature in the first place.

Jeff

No, Tesla should not be forcing updates if the owner of the car (notice that word? OWNER?) doesn't want the update. And I respectfully submit that I get to decide if I want the downgrade to the v7 UI or not. Tesla doesn't get to decide this, and you don't get to decide this, either, jeffro01.
The tone on TMC and especially the amount of aggression against people who you (the generic "you, some poster", not "you, jeffro01") disagree with is becoming really off-putting.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla tried to trust it's owners to use their heads and be smart about this new technology
Yep, that's what I'm doing. I'm using my head and I'm smart about this. I'm staying on v6.2 :)

Man do I need the "banging head agains the wall" meme...

Just because you claim to have went "thousands of miles in the last few weeks without an incident" doesn't make your behavior safe, acceptable, or within the T&C's. It's like saying "I have went skydiving hundreds of times and landed safely every time", you wouldn't think the activity of skydiving was safe because of that one persons experience would you?

I don't care how much driving you do, it's completely irrelevant. The point is, if you're using AP on a two lane road, or a road without a center divider, or a road with intersections, stop signs, stop lights, etc... Then your using it in an unsafe manor and against the T&Cs you agreed to when you enabled the feature.

Tesla tried to trust it's owners to use their heads and be smart about this new technology but that was simply too much of an expectation it would seem. It's unfortunate because it will likely impact the feature in a negative way for those of us who can actually read and follow the guidelines we agreed to when we enabled the feature in the first place.

Jeff

My behavior is perfectly safe. I'm not sure how you know otherwise. Have you seen me driving?

Don't forget that one real danger with using autopilot on a 2-lane road--and a danger that you have absolutely no control over--is that car coming the other way. Even if autopilot handled lane keeping on 2-lane roads perfectly (it does not), unless you have your hands on the wheel, if they swerve into your lane Autopilot will not evade, and you very likely be in a head-on collision.

I admit to using autopilot on a 2-lane road, but whenever another car approaches from the oncoming direction I make sure both hands are on the wheel tightly enough to prevent a swerve into the other lane, and ready if the oncoming car were to swerve into my lane.

I've posted in another thread that hands should always be on the wheel, and I'll reiterate it here. Your hands should always be on the wheel. Regardless of oncoming traffic, traffic in adjacent lanes, etc.

Not only can cars veer into your lane, but ap can unexpectedly veer into other lanes.

One thing I'd like to know is: What can Tesla change in our cars without needing a firmware upgrade?
We know that things like destination charging/superchargers location can be updated without any interaction from our side.
Also, I read in another thread that Tesla has disabled AutoSteer for Hong Kong without sending any firmware upgrade...