Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a section on I 5 today with Dots only and the car had no problem distinguishing them correctly
Interesting. Are you sure it wasn't just tracking the solid line on the other side of the lane? I know a lot of I-5 is only two lanes.

My car is not the only one that has had a problem picking up dots/turtles. Maybe it's a matter of contrast. By any chance were you on dark/fresh pavement?

Is anyone else experiencing a vibration not unlike the old 4 mph D shake when they use autosteer at low (35 mph ish) speeds? I get it almost every time. It's nasty. (Might also be at highway speeds too but I haven't tried that yet.)

I've sense that too in the steering wheel only though, when holding it while autosteer is engaged. I never got the 4mph D shake so I don't know what that was like, but turning off autosteer gets rid of the vibration. I wonder if that's expected in some situations?

Is anyone else experiencing a vibration not unlike the old 4 mph D shake when they use autosteer at low (35 mph ish) speeds? I get it almost every time. It's nasty. (Might also be at highway speeds too but I haven't tried that yet.)

I have the same issue!! I can actually hear the vibration, it's not as loud as the lane departure warning but audible. I did notice that the sound goes away whenever the wheel is turning (ie. not straight)

Watched the entire video. Thanks for the demonstration and the information. For those of us waiting for Model X to enjoy Autopilot, the video provided a great feel of being behind the wheel. I am impressed on how well Autopilot is working at night. The only concern for me, is to break an occasional practice of signaling before looking. With Autopilot, it appears that looking first is extremely critical. Keeping hands away from the turn indicator should help avoid unexpected results.

Can you circumvent this (i.e., do what I, you sometimes, and every driver manual I've ever read says, to signal your intent BEFORE you do it even if there is traffic in the way, THEN start looking), by pulling the stock in the direction you intend to go without locking it into the next position, then look, then if it's ok to go, then put it all the way into the full locked position of a turn? I think that would allow you to signal first, then move later, just as you, I and driver manual say.

Many people have mentioned this. However, I remember when the speed limit reading feature was first introduced, there were a number of posts by people pointing out situations where it had misread speed limit signs, or cases where similar systems had misread speed limit signs, or the potential for not-very-funny (fatal?) pranks where someone with a spray can or sharpie changes a "35" sign to an "85" sign. I, too, would like it if the speed limit was auto-adjusted for me, but first I'd want to know with confidence that these scenarios had been addressed. (Limiting the maximum amount the system can change the speed limit autonomously superficially seems like an okay solution, but it also limits the usefulness of the feature.)

There is also the limitation that the car currently only updates the speed limit as it passes the speed limit sign post. I, like many people, often speed up when I first sight the increased speed limit, and I almost always begin to slow down when I first sight the decreased speed limit, having had one too many bad experiences with speed traps.

TomTom knows most speed limits by studying city ordinances and navigating the roads themselves. Tesla could source speed limits from TomTom to improve accuracy.

Tesla could also do font verification, like humans, to discern vandalism of speed signs.

Can you circumvent this (i.e., do what I, you sometimes, and every driver manual I've ever read says, to signal your intent BEFORE you do it even if there is traffic in the way, THEN start looking), by pulling the stock in the direction you intend to go without locking it into the next position, then look, then if it's ok to go, then put it all the way into the full locked position of a turn? I think that would allow you to signal first, then move later, just as you, I and driver manual say.

Holding the directional stock initiates the lane change. In fact you can just hold it, and never lock it, and the car will change lanes. Your plan to signal first, then check for traffic, and then lock the directional will result in the lane change starting as you're starting to check for traffic.

I have the same issue!! I can actually hear the vibration, it's not as loud as the lane departure warning but audible. I did notice that the sound goes away whenever the wheel is turning (ie. not straight)

This, this! When I had Autosteer going with TACC set to 70 on the freeway, but, was actually doing 35-40 with traffic being slow, there was a loud drone from the front motor and significant vibration through the steering wheel!

Mistook it for the AC compressor first and turned HVAC off but, that only made the noise even more noticeable. Once the speed got up to 70 and also, after I turned Autopilot off, there was no more noise.

It was loud and unpleasant. It only appears to come on with Autopilot on at low speeds.

A different question: anyone worried about the friction brakes being used heavily with Autopilot? TACC has definitely gotten smoother than it was pre-7.0 but, it still appears to use the friction brakes more than it does regen. In contrast, when driving manually, I can seem to accomplish most freeway drives without engaging the friction brakes at all.

At the beginning the video, you can see the car favored the left side, driving very close to the cone, and at around 37 seconds mark, the car was trying to follow the lane marker on floor and steering towards the concrete block on the left.

I think your video just illustrated why people shouldn't be using autosteer beta in construction areas. By definition construction areas are going to be unfinished, with lane markings that are works in progress, concrete put, temporarily, in places it won't be later or wasn't before, etc. Why would you expect the Model S to be able to safely navigate that?

Left scroll wheel doesn't Mute when "too close warnings" appear on the Dashboard UI

Anyone else notice this? If you're too close to the car in front of you, such that the Dashboard UI "left slot" gets replaced by the top-view of the car showing you're too close, then the Left Scroll wheel no longer toggles mute on the Audio source.

Kinda annoying, because that's a scenario when it would be nice to quiet distractions without taking your hands off the wheel...

-- David

I think your video just illustrated why people shouldn't be using autosteer beta in construction areas. By definition construction areas are going to be unfinished, with lane markings that are works in progress, concrete put, temporarily, in places it won't be later or wasn't before, etc. Why would you expect the Model S to be able to safely navigate that?

Of course, it's a beta version, age 2 days !!! :)
...and notice, that I am from Europe, there just waiting for v7.0 :)

I was wondering what Turtles were. In Ca we call them Botts Dots.
I drove a section on I 5 today with Dots only and the car had no problem distinguishing them correctly
Look at the dashboard - when AP detects lane markings, it displays a solid line. It's likely that the left lane was enough for it to infer its position. I had problems on I-405 on the dotted section today - AP refused to engage until I moved to the lane next to the HOT lane.

Re: construction zones.

I drove through one twice today at the interchange of I-40 and I-77 on I-40. Area is a mess with lane shifts and blacked out lane markers, cones, barriers, etc.

Car did everything perfectly in both directions. On the eastbound side I was never even asked to hold the wheel at all. On the westbound side during a lane shift it asked me to hold the wheel, I touched it, nag went away, and it continued on.

I was impressed.

I drove through one twice today at the interchange of I-40 and I-77 on I-40. Area is a mess with lane shifts and blacked out lane markers, cones, barriers, etc.

Car did everything perfectly in both directions. On the eastbound side I was never even asked to hold the wheel at all. On the westbound side during a lane shift it asked me to hold the wheel, I touched it, nag went away, and it continued on.

I was impressed.

That's excellent.

But most importantly, I expect that if your car had started to follow what appeared to be lane markers that led directly into a barrier, causing you to take control, you probably wouldn't have posted a video with a subject of "Auto Pilot Doesn't Recognize Freeway Side Block."

I expect you were probably on ultra-high alert, ready to take over while driving in the construction zones because you recognized how easily the Model S could "do everything as it was supposed to" and still be heading into concrete under those conditions.

I was impressed.
I went through one today using orange delineator posts and Autopilot threw in the towel immediately... no 'hold the wheel', instead, 'YOU look after this, I'm outta here'... I was ready for it and perhaps that's actually what it should do.

*** WARNING *** For when you update your software to version 7.0

I've been speed reading through this thread, but I haven't seen that anyone experienced what happened to me this afternoon:

When I updated my 2013 MS software to OS 7.0, my radio kicked on and blasted the last internet music station I was listening to. This unfortunately upset my neighbor (can't believe they can't appreciate the likes of BTO). Luckily I did not update the operating system at 2 AM!

I hope you'll appreciate the serendipity of the song playing given the situation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove my non-AutoPilot Model S today with the V7 update. I am not pleased with the change of the trips app on the center instrument cluster. I much prefer the spreadsheet like format of previous versions. I am disappointed that individual tire pressures are not displayed (I have the air suspension). The graphics for my parking sensors were apparently not able to support the enhanced graphics shown for AutoPilot equipped cars. I would like the option of the prior trips format to be offered on future updates. I don't understand why the icon for the battery charge app had to be changed. The battery icon was much more intuitive than the rather stylized, "N". I know it might seem that I'm picking nits but I don't have the option of playing with major new additions to my car's bag of tricks so I am confronted with an altered interface without obvious benefit. Hope the climate control improvements and improved energy use are operative. I'm sure that the version 7.0 update will stimulate trade-ups from owners of older Model S models. Im planning on holding onto mine for the foreseeable future.

I would like cruise speed to adjust with speed limit.

situations where it had misread speed limit signs

Desirable in theory, yes, but this would be a disaster in Australia as

1. 80 is frequently misread as 30 here by TACC.

2. We have timed 40 zones (60 for most of the day, 40 during school arrival/departure hours). These signs are always read as 40.

Both situations would result in sudden severe braking for no apparent reason if TACC adjusted automatically and would be very dangerous.

Desirable in theory, yes, but this would be a disaster in Australia as

1. 80 is frequently misread as 30 here by TACC.

2. We have timed 40 zones (60 for most of the day, 40 during school arrival/departure hours). These signs are always read as 40.

Both situations would result in sudden severe braking for no apparent reason if TACC adjusted automatically and would be very dangerous.

Not to mention most LED variable signs either being misread or ignored altogether (still - hoping V7.0 might improve this).

I was impressed.

Good to hear that AP can handle construction situation in your case. Were there any road blocks at your construction sites, or just blacked out/overlaid lane markers? In my video a couple posts above, looks like the car is following the lane markers as it's supposed to, but I would think that it would also take other consideration as well - e.x. are there any obstacles in the way if I keep going and follow the lane marker? It does auto stop for you when there are cars in front, maybe lane following has higher priority than the radars on the side, but not the radar on the front?

It would be interesting to find out situations where it's best to turn off / take over AP ahead of time under the current v7.0 implementation.