Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brakes are indeed hydraulic, just like almost all cars on the road. The parking/emergency brake calipers (rear) are electrically actuated though.

On gen 1 cars they even use a standard vacuum brake booster, which is powered by an electric pump as there is no ICE to provide manifold vacuum. On gen 2, they use Bosch's Electro-hydraulic booster system (no vacuum).

Tesla does not use hydraulic brakes, they are electrical.

Nope, they're hydraulic.

hydraulic.jpg

The booster (iBoost) is electically powered, but the system itself is hydraulic.

Feel free to inspect your own brakes, and you will see hydraulic brake lines leaving the calipers.

I really don't see why anyone would want anything less than max regen. Why would you want to recapture less energy than you otherwise could?

If you are going down a mountain or steep hill, less regen is good because you can maintain a higher speed without putting your foot on the accelerator.

I would like to see Tesla add a third regen option, a regen option stronger than what we have now, keep the standard and low regen options that we currently have.

If you are going down a mountain or steep hill, less regen is good because you can maintain a higher speed without putting your foot on the accelerator.

I would like to see Tesla add a third regen option, a regen option stronger than what we have now, keep the standard and low regen options that we currently have.
Dont take your foot fully off the pedal.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think the curent implementation of regen/braking is spot on.
I wouldn't change a thing about it.

It takes a very small but instinctive adaption to driving style from ICE.

Tesla have to be very careful about alowing sliders to control key car functionality/safety.
The car's behaviour must be predictable.

You can just see the headline "tesla driver rear-ends another car after forgetting they had changed the regen setting and the car didnt slow down as expected"

Expert Mode - with Ingineer on this all the way, have proposed this myself before, is by far the best way to cater for those who need a simple interface and those who want a more in depth experience. SC told me about a old guy who loved his Teslas and bought a new one every time something new came out, he's on his fourth now, the latest one he didnt spec the sunroof and when asked why said he could never remember how to open the damn thing!

getting back on topic, I've noticed that the auto high beam on my car is not working as well as they used to before this latest update, has anyone else noted any differences in their workings?
As have I and many others in the USA and the UK. The subject has its own thread: Auto High Beams no longer works well, in which you will see that I have been working with service people to get this resolved.. Please report the problem - the more who do so, the better. You might also try cleaning the sensor aperture as I describe in the thread.

Reactions: Andyw2100
As have I and many others in the USA and the UK. The subject has its own thread: Auto High Beams no longer works well, in which you will see that I have been working with service people to get this resolved.. Please report the problem - the more who do so, the better. You might also try cleaning the sensor aperture as I describe in the thread.
thanks, I had found that thread after I posted here. I am sure that this is just a bug in the software and once they grasp that there's a problem a fix will be forthcoming

Dont take your foot fully off the pedal.
Does the cruise control keep you from coasting (downhill, presumably) faster than your set speed? If so, does it use regen,
braking, or some combination to slow you down? It seems like it should and it should (use at least some regen). This would
eliminate the need to do the ride-the-go-pedal equivalent of riding the brake down hill.

Does the cruise control keep you from coasting (downhill, presumably) faster than your set speed? If so, does it use regen,
braking, or some combination to slow you down? It seems like it should and it should (use at least some regen). This would
eliminate the need to do the ride-the-go-pedal equivalent of riding the brake down hill.

My 2013's without AutoPilot Traditional Cruise Control does this using regen to maintain the set point (assuming less than maximum regen can keep that set point - I don't have steep enough hills to test what happens if 60 kW of regen is insufficient).