Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really odd and doesn't seem normal, especially if you have a P85 reference that goes on the same roads and trips and it's beating you in efficiency, and by what seems like a large margin. Is your alignment off?

I mean achieved efficiency (not projected) -- as in actual watt-hours per mile/km.

Here's my reference for the details of how this test was conducted:

Their methodology seems reasonable to me.
Okay. The reason I ask is w/r/t range there's only a .4 mile gain on a full charge. Less than a half a mile didn't seem worth it to me.

That's really odd and doesn't seem normal, especially if you have a P85 reference that goes on the same roads and trips and it's beating you in efficiency, and by what seems like a large margin. Is your alignment off?

I don't have a P85 reference, this P85D is my first Tesla (thought I've had it for over a year and a half).

I'm pretty sure I don't have alignment issues as I've had it aligned 3 times since I've owned it: once when my rear suspension was replaced, once during the yearly service, and once after the radar was realigned (causing driver assistance errors).

Can you point me to your reference? I'm not seeing that kind of improvement on my car, not even close.
My reference is based on the 7% quoted from the video in my previous post here:
Firmware 7.1

Keep in mind the comment came from Calgary. It probably does NOT make that much difference in SoCal.
Not sure how it would make a difference. In fact, the way torque sleep works is by using the more efficient front motor. In adverse conditions, like snowy winter roads, the rear motor would be kicking in for stability and acceleration.

I don't have a P85 reference, this P85D is my first Tesla (thought I've had it for over a year and a half).

I'm pretty sure I don't have alignment issues as I've had it aligned 3 times since I've owned it: once when my rear suspension was replaced, once during the yearly service, and once after the radar was realigned (causing driver assistance errors).
I thought you said your wife has a P85. Maybe I misread. If that's your only Tesla and you've got that high consumption, it may be just the way your driving or the locations (up and down hills). Have you actually tried going on a stretch of road (say 5 or so miles) with another Model S driver to compare?

The alignment was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head that hopefully is an old issue. I guess the ultimate way to know is check your tire wear. The rears will always wear the inside slightly more than outside, but the front do the opposite (they wear the outside more than inside when turning). So after the tires have visited the front and back, they should have even wear across the tire.

Andy:
I watched your video again and in many of the "warnings" micro-paving is present. Not all. but many.

Were you on full autopilot with lane keeping? IMO the car seems to wander from left to right and back again. If you are using lane keeping, then that is the type of road I personally would NOT use it on. Too many side streets with perpendicular entrances for my taste. But I am really cautious I suppose.

I would agree with you that I want to be alarmed much less in this case of yours. Like ...not once even.

I normally get caught up on a thread before posting, but I'm not doing that this time, so apologies in advance if anyone has already pointed this out.

That video was made over a year ago, long before Auto Steer was available. I pointed out in the notes of the video that I was driving in a way to induce the lane departure warnings, as I was trying to make a video that would demonstrate the problem. So I was purposely driving close to, but not over the lane markers to show that the departure warning sounds unnecessarily at times. If it so happened that in some of the instances there was some micro-paving, I'm sure that's more a coincidence than anything else.

Now that auto steer is available I agree that these are not the kind of roads it works well on, and I don't use it on these roads. In fact, I said that in my post that started this part of the discussion, here:

About a week ago I was driving with my daughter and her boyfriend in the car. They wanted to see auto steer, so I engaged it on an undivided highway where neither my wife nor I would usually use it. I was surprised at how poorly it did, as compared to how well it does on the divided highways where we ordinarily use it. I turned it off just after I also received the lane departure warning!

I'm glad you agree that the car is alerting too much in the video. Those roads are fairly narrow, and keeping the car dead center in the lane, which is what the current lane departure warning system seems to require, becomes annoying over time. A sensitivity setting would solve the problem.

Tesla has hidden torque sleep in the range mode setting. Turn on "Range Mode" and you will experience a roughly 7% efficiency advantage over the RWD models. For whatever reason, I think Range Mode can only be turned on if the car is in Sport mode. I really don't understand why torque sleep can't always be running. It shouldn't even be an option.

Range mode can be turned on in Insane Mode and Ludicrous Mode.

Also the efficiency benefits of torque sleep are not limited to range mode being on, as per Jerome Guillen. Those benefits are increased with range mode on, but some of the efficiency benefits of torque sleep exist even with range mode off. So while I only watched a bit of the video you referenced, the validity of any conclusion reached in that video is questionable if they were operating on the premise that range mode is required for there to be any efficiency benefits from torque sleep.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
I have not. P85D is just as big of an energy hog as always. Just did a 55 miles round trip and got 360 Wh/mi driving normally. 366 Wh/mile lifetime efficiency over 28.3k miles. 3

My P85D's lifetime average is 365 Wh/mi and I've had Range Mode set to ON ever since it was available concurrently with INSANE (soon to be LUDICROUS) mode.

My wife and I drive in much colder climates than either of you guys, and have a much better Wh/mile number, so I guess we're just driving like wimps! Through 29,483 miles our lifetime Wh/mi is 325. (Photo is from today's trip. I still record certain specific trips we take.)

I'll add that the main trip that we each take is in my case the near 60 mile trip shown, and in hers a few miles less, with approximately thirty to thirty five minutes of each of those trips on a 65 MPH interstate where we each set the TACC to 70. So while we may be driving a bit on the wimpy side, we're not driving 55 on the highway or anything. :)

Trip.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I drive in much colder climates than either of you guys, and have a much better Wh/mile number, so I guess we're just driving like wimps! Through 29,483 miles our lifetime Wh/mi is 325. (Photo is from today's trip. I still record certain specific trips we take.)

I'll add that the main trip that we each take is in my case the near 60 mile trip shown, and in hers a few miles less, with approximately thirty to thirty five minutes of each of those trips on a 65 MPH interstate where we each set the TACC to 70. So while we may be driving a bit on the wimpy side, we're not driving 55 on the highway or anything. :)

View attachment 185396

Yeah, I've not seen sub-300 Wh/mi in ages, except in places where it's significantly downhill for an extended period (like from Makoto's in Boone to my house... loss of like 2300 ft elevation). Even then I don't get anywhere near what others seem to get.

I do drive with the AC on ~69F, and with the flow of traffic in the fastest lane, usually. My speed of choice locally is usually 78 MPH on the highways (speed limit 70). But even the last time I *really* tried to get good efficiency I basically tailgated a tractor trailer at ~62 MPH or less for ~50 miles and still only got 254 Wh/mi. Maybe I should do some more controlled testing and possibly get Tesla to investigate a bit depending on what I come up with.

Yesterday I drove over 100 miles, pretty conservatively. No hard accelerations or passing or anything. Here's what the car says:

EV_tripCharge_Miles,111.038
EV_tripCharge_kWh,36.440
EV_tripCharge_whpm,328.180

I tried one way with range mode on and one way with range mode off... made no real difference (95% interstate).

• Informative
Reactions: msnow