Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When backing out of the garage can you tell the car how far to back out?
Yes, for those of us with rather shorter than 39' driveways, I'm worried about its ending up in the street.

From what I can tell, it'll back out only to where you auto-pulled-in from. So if you park the car a few feet from the garage door and tell it to pull in, when it backs out it'll put you back a few feet from the garage again, not in the street. It doesn't seem to remember that position though. If you manually park the next time it'll back out into your street again.

Hitting the fob button is easy enough to stop it, with sticking your hand in front of a parking sensor as a backup plan. It would be nice if it could remember where to stop when exiting the garage though.

I don't mind Tesla imposing some AP restrictions on certain roads, but what needs to accompany that is an updated maps database. I have a newly (1+ years ago) 8 lane highway that was built by my house that my car now thinks is a restricted road.

I'm wondering if perpendicular autoparking will solve the "I'm totally incompetent at backing into a supercharger stall" problem. It would be another step on the path to automated swapping of cars at superchargers too. Maybe a robot attendant that pulls the cable out of a car that's finished charging, and then plugs in the next car. Tesla can do this because it knows everything: who is waiting to charge, the order they got there, whether they are passing through or local, their state of charge, whether there are more cars that will show up to charge soon, whether they have a trip in progress or not. Lots of optimization and prioritization possible.

The only thing standing in the way of this that I can see is the physical plugging in and unplugging of charging cables. Of course new hardware on the car and charging stall can address this (metal snake anyone?), but to do this with existing vehicles and charging stations would require an attendant of some sort, robot or human. Perhaps when Tesla starts updating their supercharging locations to include thin cables, reconfiguration to handle X's that are towing, and more stalls, then they can add hardware to facilitate this sort of thing as well. On the other hand, they can pilot something at just their busiest locations, and those are the only places where it really matters at first. Although for true self-driving, the cars must be self-charging as well, so something will have to be done within the next few years.

So can anybody report on having used this new feature at a supercharger?

As long as the car recognizes that road as a divided highway (assuming it is a divided highway) you'd be fine. Of course if it is one of the roads that the new restrictions would be implemented on, you wouldn't be able to use Auto Steer and TACC together, though from other posts it sounds like you could use Auto Steer, and the accelerator pedal.

If that trip was on divided highways, this new limitation would have no impact on your trip. Since you say "middle lane" that sounds like three lanes in each direction, which sounds like a divided highway. You should be able to drive exactly the same way with this version of the software.

Wonderful! Thanks for the clarification. I get my car back on Tuesday, so will try it out on Jersey freeways... Plus play with the other items.

It appears you have to be close to the car. If you're not, the option does not appear. I mistakenly thought summon hadn't been implemented on the backend yet.

It would have been more clear if the summon button appeared greyed out if you're not in the geofence instead of disappearing.

Can't get the summon button to pop-up on my iPhone when standing next to the car. . .

Haven't been able to get the perpendicular parking spot to light up either, even when moving ~5 MPH in a parking lot with plenty of spots with two cars on either side of an open spot.

Can't get the summon button to pop-up on my iPhone when standing next to the car. . .

Haven't been able to get the perpendicular parking spot to light up either, even when moving ~5 MPH in a parking lot with plenty of spots with two cars on either side of an open spot.

I have actually never gotten the regular auto park to work. I'll check with the service center to see if they can. I assume I am alone in never experiencing Autopark? I prefer to park myself, but it would be cool to see.

I have actually never gotten the regular auto park to work. I'll check with the service center to see if they can. I assume I am alone in never experiencing Autopark? I prefer to park myself, but it would be cool to see.

Perpendicular parking didn't work for me this morning either, and I've also never gotten autopark to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Driving home today from work, and the autopilot does not appear to change speed when the speed limit signs change. You can pull the stalk and it will automatically change to the new speed limit (+ the offset), but it does not appear to do this automatically.

Is this correct? If so, that's only half the solution. I would really want the car to follow the speed limits as they change.

Perpendicular parking didn't work for me this morning either, and I've also never gotten autopark to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Driving home today from work, and the autopilot does not appear to change speed when the speed limit signs change. You can pull the stalk and it will automatically change to the new speed limit (+ the offset), but it does not appear to do this automatically.

Is this correct? If so, that's only half the solution. I would really want the car to follow the speed limits as they change.

And I don't want the car to follow the speed limits as they change, sop I hope Tesla never forces that upon us. As an option? Sure.

And I don't want the car to follow the speed limits as they change, sop I hope Tesla never forces that upon us. As an option? Sure.

The only time the car automatically adjusts to the speed limit is on an undivided road, with autopilot on, where it wants to restrict your speed to speed limit+5. That is, it will only slow you down when the speed limit lowers.

It does not change your speed setpoint, just slows you down to speed limit+5. You could have your setpoint at 80 though and then you'd effectively speed up and slow down as the speed limit changes. This would not work on a divided highway because it won't restrict your speed there.

Last edited: