Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perpendicular Parking - embarrassing?

Everyone seems pretty impressed with the Perpendicular Parking and it is very cool; however, I find myself slightly embarrassed when using it. Not because of showing off, but because the car behaves a bit like a very cautious beginner who has just learned how to park. I'm assuming everyone's car performs the same maneuver but to be clear, mine always does a three point maneuver. it backs diagonally towards the furthest car (getting as close as possible which is thankfully very slow and careful) then pulls forward to straighten up and finally goes straight back into the stall. In many cases I have had to abandon or pause the maneuver because someone stole the stall before the car could back up far enough or cars have pulled around the front of my car before the car could pull frontwards. Yesterday the car actually adjusted itself by pulling out again and reversing in again which surprised me. It looked very much like a beginner being directed by a driving instructor. I wanted to get out of the car and say "it wasn't me, it was the car". Typically I back straight into a stall in one maneuver as briskly as can be done safely and accurately. I'm guessing that this parking method is probably the best one to work in nearly 100% of situations so I'm only really making an observation. Full disclosure my car is currently sporting a scrape on the driver's rear quarter panel thanks to my "brisk" approach so maybe I should take some lessons from the car.

Update on the curve-taking issue I've been having:
Marc, thanks for posting that video. I know that interchange very well. Agree that ideally the car should slow down in advance of that curve, though a skilled human driver who is paying attention could take that curve safely at close to 70, in my opinion. When the car alerted you to touch the wheel did you have to apply a significant correction or did the car manage it on its own even though it did seem to deviate somewhat from an ideal path?
I think that over time AP will get better at slowing for known curves in advance. It's still early days...

Everyone seems pretty impressed with the Perpendicular Parking and it is very cool; however, I find myself slightly embarrassed when using it. Not because of showing off, but because the car behaves a bit like a very cautious beginner who has just learned how to park. I'm assuming everyone's car performs the same maneuver but to be clear, mine always does a three point maneuver. it backs diagonally towards the furthest car (getting as close as possible which is thankfully very slow and careful) then pulls forward to straighten up and finally goes straight back into the stall. In many cases I have had to abandon or pause the maneuver because someone stole the stall before the car could back up far enough or cars have pulled around the front of my car before the car could pull frontwards. Yesterday the car actually adjusted itself by pulling out again and reversing in again which surprised me. It looked very much like a beginner being directed by a driving instructor. I wanted to get out of the car and say "it wasn't me, it was the car". Typically I back straight into a stall in one maneuver as briskly as can be done safely and accurately. I'm guessing that this parking method is probably the best one to work in nearly 100% of situations so I'm only really making an observation. Full disclosure my car is currently sporting a scrape on the driver's rear quarter panel thanks to my "brisk" approach so maybe I should take some lessons from the car.

Yup... Should aim for "this thing parks better than the most skilled human", no?

Last edited:
Marc, thanks for posting that video. I know that interchange very well. Agree that ideally the car should slow down in advance of that curve, though a skilled human driver who is paying attention could take that curve safely at close to 70, in my opinion. When the car alerted you to touch the wheel did you have to apply a significant correction or did the car manage it on its own even though it did seem to deviate somewhat from an ideal path?
I think that over time AP will get better at slowing for known curves in advance. It's still early days...

Sure thing. By the way, not only could "a skilled human driver could take the curve safely at close to 70", I used to do that every single day AT 70 mph myself!
I think even 75 or 80 mph is doable as long as the roads are dry, the P85D has that much grip :biggrin:

Anyway, to answer your question: I did not actually have to apply any correction myself for the car to move back in the HOV lane.
It DID shift a good amount into the adjacent lane to the right, but since there was no other vehicle in that lane I let it do its thing -- for the record, when there is another vehicle present, I disable AP and steer myself.
In this case, I only tugged on the steering wheel after the second "hold the wheel" message (double-beep) to prevent AP from slowing down as it would, should it decide I wasn't paying attention or went unconscious.

You must have weird speed limit signs in Alberta. I so far have observed at least a 98% rate of correct speeds in all my 49,000 km of travels in eastern Canada and US and also to South Dakota. Since I stay on the metric system while travelling in the US, even the US mph speed limit signs are translated correctly into km signs on the instrument panel.
If your camera does not see the signs correctly then get it looked at or at least clean the windshield.
Do all the other Alberta owners have the same problem?
My experience is different. I very seldom have errors here in Alberta (the Coquihalla in BC is a noted exception) and particularly on the unrestricted type roads listed by green1 I have no issues reading signs unless a sign is actually obscured by traffic. Most anomalies I see are in residential areas. I wonder if green1 should have his camera checked.

Here's my review of 7.1 on my 70D. First -- thanks for fixing the bug that would have turned my 70 into a 60. I appreciated having to wait a little longer to get the software such that Tesla was able to fix that bug first.

1) Autosteer : Keeps lanes better and less drunk-driving behavior when within a lane. Lane changes seem a little less-aggressive as well. Thanks!
2) Cruise-control: Not much mentioned on this, but it now suggests a cruise control speed at speed limit sign + your CC setting. So, it reads a speed limit of 45, and suggests 52 (if your delta is +7). I think it would be better if it was truly relative (as a function of speed limit) instead of an absolute delta which Tesla calls relative. Now that we're reading speed limit signs and seeing this recommendation, it should be easy enough to add a percentage for AP owners. +7 is just fine at 55 or 65, but +7 in a 30 or 35 is a bit much. I'd rather it be 8% or 10%. Of course, I don't find myself setting my cruise control very often on slower roads, but I think a relative speed percentage would be welcomed.
3) Summon : Really cool, but I have a driveway with too much grade to it so I can't use it at home. I hope they remove the slope restriction over time. Only hiccup here has been that if summon aborts, each time you open the iPhone app it will send another alert that Summon aborted. Every. Time. The only way I could get this repeated alert to go away was to have a successful summon session (canceled by me worked).
4) Auto-homelink : This might be my favorite new feature. I love driving up to the house, seeing my suspension raise automatically and my garage door opening in 20ft...10ft...etc. Love it. I haven't gotten auto-close when leaving to work yet. Not quite sure why it won't work.
5) Auto Perpendicular park : Cool, but I do a better job and I try to avoid parking between two vehicles most of the time anyway. I like to park along a fixed curb or something on one side most of the time. Cuts chances of dings by more than 50% because I can get really close to the curb. This is a place where Summon might come in handy. Parking garage next to a wall on the driver side.
6) Auto Brightness : This is working well for me so far, will need to drive at night to be sure. I might have to re-assign my right steering control dial to something else now. Thanks!
7) Driver only door lock : I can see where this would be useful, but I'm about 50/50 on when it's just me or the kids + wife with me, so I don't think I'll benefit much.

I've found that if you are more towards the center of the lane when you invoke parking, it is more likely to get it into the space in one go. If you are relatively close to the parked cars, it always seems to three point turn into the spot. Unfortunately, it detects the spots much better when you drive closer to them, so it is a bit of a catch 22.

All of the nonsense around the new restriction is ridiculous, really. There really just is no reason for it. I honestly don't see how it solves any problem whatsoever. It seems much more probable that it will cause more problems then it solves.

I'm pretty sure the reason for the restriction is to satisfy various regulators and lawyers around the world not necessarily a specific demonstrated safety issue. Without their sign off AP would not be enabled. If that's the problem they are trying to solve then winning that battle is just a step towards winning it all incrementally. I doubt that Tesla or Elon wanted to load it up with tons of restrictions. It makes sense if you look at it from 30,000 feet.

That was my theory too. Others have shot me down on this :)
I can believe the theory is plausible... but I have to think that the software should be able to take the font width into account somehow. After all, the camera doesn't always see the sign dead on... to be useful it will have to read the sign from an angle, which will make the font appear narrow. It apparently read the '2' for me once in three signs tested, but missed the '1' altogether. Whatever the cause, it needs to be corrected.

FWIW, I'm not convinced the accuracy on other 'normal' speed signs is any better. I've gone by a few that I'm pretty sure it was getting right before 7.1 and they're either wrong or missed altogether now. It makes me wonder if some people are getting the real drugs and I'm on the placebo program... eventually the Tesla AP drug will get approval and we can all get it...?

Here's my review of 7.1 on my 70D. First -- thanks for fixing the bug that would have turned my 70 into a 60. I appreciated having to wait a little longer to get the software such that Tesla was able to fix that bug first.

4) Auto-homelink : This might be my favorite new feature. I love driving up to the house, seeing my suspension raise automatically and my garage door opening in 20ft...10ft...etc. Love it. I haven't gotten auto-close when leaving to work yet. Not quite sure why it won't work..

I think you have to open the door from within the car homelink to have it auto close on exit.