Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like every other car built in the last 20-odd years, the turn signal click sound is simulated by the computer and fed in to the sound system. If you reboot the CID, presumably taking audio with it, I would expect the clicks to go away until it comes back on line.
I thought that's what I said. I just don't have any evidence the turn signals do work during that interval. Quite likely someone reading this has done the experiment and can comment authoritatively.

Edited to add: I see @mikeash did exactly that. Thanks!

Caught up on the thread now, hmm I had my first lockup this week. Touchscreen locked while on web browser, then rebooted on its own, seemed like twice to my recollection (which after reading Ingineer's info seems a good thing)... poor old web browser, it's like Gopher lol

It's possible it only affects the turn signal user feedback, and the signal continues to silently function, but I've no way of knowing that absent experimentation with a collaborator to watch for me.

It only affects the sound, not the function. And you can verify the function (assuming you can't see the reflection of the turn signal) on the CID. Most of the time, both screens aren't rebooting at the same time.

It only affects the sound, not the function. And you can verify the function (assuming you can't see the reflection of the turn signal) on the CID. Most of the time, both screens aren't rebooting at the same time.
Yeah, you're the second person to point this out; thanks. I'll go update the parent post if it's still editable (I don't understand what makes them become un-editable with the new forums, sigh).

I didn't realize the center display showed the signal, I'll have to pay attention to that.

I've been having a number of screen freeze/reboot issues under 2.20.30 as well. Yesterday morning, the click sound for my left turn indicator started repeating very fast (7 or 8 per second), then both screens froze up. Had to reboot then, again yesterday after work, and again last night. Happy to see that other people are having similar issues and it's not a hardware problem.

Reactions: DoubleE and jgs
ditto @ LuckyLuke Just as a total coincidence I was supercharging at the Decatur Service Center due to a long commute and super busy driving day. Car was on LTE and received 2.22.75 lol lol

So, I'm trying to figure this out. I drove past my SC today, just to see if the car would switch over to their Wifi. I stopped in the parking lot for about 5 min. Couldn't find the wifi, and gave up and went to work. Half way to work it said the software update was ready to install. Just got 2.22.75. Car never left LTE.

So, I'm trying to figure this out. I drove past my SC today, just to see if the car would switch over to their Wifi. I stopped in the parking lot for about 5 min. Couldn't find the wifi, and gave up and went to work. Half way to work it said the software update was ready to install. Just got 2.22.75. Car never left LTE.
It could have started the download while you were parked at the SvC. You don't get notified until the download is complete.

Maybe in these newer versions there is a trigger that if your car is in/near a Service Center that it checks for new firmware and starts downloading it to make their process more efficient. (When the techs get to your car the firmware is already downloaded and ready to install.)