Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you holding the directional signal until the lane-change is complete?

If you move the stalk completely, so that it clicks into place and so that you will have to manually move it back into place when the lane-change is complete, then this is unlikely to happen by mistake. But if you simply hold the stalk up or down, and then release it when the car starts to change lanes, it will change back if the lane-change is not nearly completed at the point when you release the stalk. So if you are using the "hold the stalk" method, you need to hold it until the lane-change is very close to being completed.

I realize this may not be the issue at all. Just throwing it out as a possibility.

I've had this happen to me.

This is not my experience. In an effort to minimize "overshoot" on lane changing I let go as soon as I can, which is usually when just
more than half of the car is over the dividing line. I've rarely, if ever, had it "give up" at that point.

No overshoot is possible. You are behaving in a way dictated only by your imagination. Don't do that.

I've had this happen to me.

Sorry can't remember what version. However overshoot was recent (sometime this week). Clicked the turn signal, car changed to the right lane; I was talking with my wife (forgot to de-activate the turn signal), and the car started to drive into the breakdown lane. Had to take over from AutoPilot.

However overshoot was recent (sometime this week). Clicked the turn signal, car changed to the right lane; I was talking with my wife (forgot to de-activate the turn signal), and the car started to drive into the breakdown lane. Had to take over from AutoPilot.
I'll believe this was due to your leaving the turn signal on when:
1) you do the same thing and the same thing happens again
2) you do the same thing except you turn the signal off and then it doesn't happen
And even then I'll believe only that it happens with that version of the firmware.

There are so many things going on with autopilot that simple explanations are rarely right.

@Bet TSLA :

#1 makes sense. Try to replicate.

#2 I'm not sure what you mean, but will explain this to myself and please correct me if you agree or disagree:
(I will use the scenario of changing from left lane to right lane to breakdown lane so we all understand each other)
--Use turn signal to change to right lane.
--Keep turn signal on until car starts to change into breakdown lane.
--Once the car begins to enter the breakdown lane, stop the turn signal to see if car returns to the right lane or straddles the lanes.

For #2, is that what you mean?

Ok that makes sense now! Next time I have a chance to safely try this I will.

Wait, so #2 would be:
--use turn signal to move to right lane.
--turn off turn signal in right lane.
--car continues to move into breakdown lane despite turn signal being off.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still on 2.22.50 as well, and can confirm the DRL bug is still in there. Haven't received any OTAs yet but my apartment's garage has terrible cell service.

I just tried street parking above ground with good LTE. I tried tethering my phone to my car for an hour and nothing happened (less than 6MB of data usage most likely from the couple of Slacker songs that played), and didn't feel like leaving it in there the whole day.

Maybe I will have to go loiter at a service center. I drove by one but didn't get close enough to pick up the service wifi.

No overshoot is possible. You are behaving in a way dictated only by your imagination. Don't do that.

It will only move over one lane. If you want two lanes over, you have to release the turn signal and do it a second time. I think the first versions of the feature (7.0) kept on going. But not the case anymore. Also breakdown lanes do not count. The car will (should) not autosteeer into the road shoulder.

I went by a tint shop today, which happens to be across the street from the Tesla store, where I picked my car up on Friday. While I was in the tint shop, I left my car at the supercharger next to the store to top off a little. When I came back, I had an update notification again (last one 2.22.75 on Friday). Now it installed 2.24.30.

This all leads me to believe, that there really might be some relation of being connected to the store's WiFi and receiving updates. But then, maybe it was just coincidence.

I stopped by the service center on Saturday to set a later appointment. I wanted to see if my car would get the latest update. I wasn't able to connect to their wifi from the car. After trying for 5 or 10 minutes, I gave up and drove away. About 30 minutes later, I got the notification of a pending update. Installed it later that day, and it was 2.24.30.

Then, this morning on my commute up the 405 in the HOV lane towards Santa Monica, I traveled on autopilot almost the entire way on the 7 setting. Previously, my complaint was 7 was that it appeared to break hard very early. It's probably the placebo effect, but I think it was behaving much more smoothly this morning.

The last time my car was at the Service Center they pushed the latest firmware which I installed that night when I got home. The amusing part is that the service record said I had "deprecated firmware". It had just been installed about one week prior! Hardly deprecated but I guess not new enough.