Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bulletproof*!

*Assuming the space is at least 20 feet long
*Assuming the curb is high enough for the sensors to see
*Assuming there are 2 cars parked
*Assuming the stars align and you can see pluto
I don't think the curb is a requirement. It regularly "sees" parking places for me where there is no curb or bumper, just a line at the end of the parking space.
(I've never seen Pluto so I don't know about that either.)

I got a chance to look at the 8.0 beta a couple of days ago. I just have two observations to share:

1. It's stupid to turn all our nice application icons to Black&White. Color is one of the ways we can quickly locate them. Please don't do that.

2. If this gets released with the ability to play songs off my USB stick broken, I'll be really pissed.

I got a chance to look at the 8.0 beta a couple of days ago. I just have two observations to share:

1. It's stupid to turn all our nice application icons to Black&White. Color is one of the ways we can quickly locate them. Please don't do that.

2. If this gets released with the ability to play songs off my USB stick broken, I'll be really pissed.

I think everyone would be pissed. Why do you think they would do this? Is it based on something you saw on the 8.0 beta?

They'd better not only not remove the ability to play our libraries off of USB sticks, but if they don't add the ability to display the local folder artwork and add searching, I'll be pretty pissed. These are two very basic things their media player doesn't have and I've been patient while I wait for them to fix these bugs.

I don't think the curb is a requirement. It regularly "sees" parking places for me where there is no curb or bumper, just a line at the end of the parking space.

The curb isn't "required" but I've had to intervene twice on low-curb parking spots where the car was going to curb rash my tires due to continuing to back in without sensing a curb.

There's been a few threads here with other owners complaining about Autopark curb rash.

Self parking works great for me in my December 2014 S. Parallel and horizontal spaces. Use the parallel parking feature pretty much everyday, and still marvel at how it gets it perfectly right in just 2 moves each time.

At first, Autopark was pretty good although it didn't care about parking next to a high curb. This created the problem of having to caution a passenger to not open the door as the lower portion thereof would impact concrete pretty quick.

Lately, however, high curbs aside (those are rare anyway) Autopark does great 50% of the time and gets too close the other 50% of the time, which then requires manual intervention to avoid the tire and rim impacting the curb and causing damage to either or both (aka curb rash).

The last time I saw (munched) rims on the wall at a local SvC and decided to ask, their charge to "fix" curb rash was $200/rim. Evidently they had a number of repeat customers, including one woman, bless her heart, who'd been in five, count 'em FIVE separate times for rim repair. Pre- and post-Autopark, collectively, but still.

Fortunately, knock on concrete, I haven't yet farkled a rim, but that's only because I can't trust Autopark to get it right as often as it used to, and intervene half the time. No idea what's changed, other than some algorithm. Where I tend to park, the curbs haven't changed in years.

Reactions: e-FTW
I vote for duplicating. There is ample screen real estate for ambient temp on both.

+1…

It was duplicated up to 6.x and I got used to being able to see the temp on both the IC and center screen.

Then it moved to the center screen only for 7.0, but then back to the IC for one of the later updates (I believe one of the 7.0 updates before 7.1).

Please put it back on both. Its OK to duplicate information that is useful to both the driver and passengers…

Print this out and paste over the 17" screen. AutoPark will work just fine after you do so.
pluto3j.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW and Cyclone
In general, I wish TM would not 'hype' any software upgrades before release. Granted, it does make for some interesting conversation but ultimately it leads to disappointment when features that we all talk about don't necessarily become reality.

Personally, I will continue to beat the drum for the enhanced Valet Mode known as 'Safe Mode'.;) But I doubt we see it until 10.0

Reactions: ICUDoc
. . .

. . .

It depends on what information they are trying to present as important.

NASA has studied this for years in cockpit display design. Pilots can easily be overloaded with information that's irrelevant to the situation at hand. Subduing the colors of less important (or routine) information helps declutter the displays when things start falling apart. Admittedly, automobiles are far less critical, but still, I hope Tesla is keeping this in mind when designing the interface.

The only HUDs I've ever used were monochromatic. I kind of liked it. Nothing trying to grab my attention over something else. But HUDs present limited information by design.

I would like to think some SpaceX human factors design ideas drift over to Tesla, but I don't know . . .