Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post, and the several posts that followed, were all extremely informative. Thank you. My only concern is that they will be lost in the noise of this thread (over 150 pages in just a few weeks). I assumed, incorrectly, that a crash of the UI was a reboot of the MCU. I imagine that many other drivers will also make that assumption. This item should definitely be kept in a sticky of "Tips and tricks" or something. Again, thank you.

Perhaps Tesla could incorporate a similar scheduled auto-reboot system. When and how is a whole other discussion (making popcorn now).

Maybe they could like, fix the leaks? Yes we get it you threw some code together in an overnight hacking marathon to get the car out the door. Can you let the adults make the thing work right now?

Reactions: vdiv
FWIW, I just returned from dropping off my MS for it's first annual service. I have (amongst other things) on my Service Invoice the following most important problems to-me related to 8.0 (edited here for brevity):
  • My Top 3 USB issues:
    • Unreasonable scan times with larger number of tracks that worked fine on 6.2-7.1
    • Media Art not always displaying (maybe they can say it's a bug or document what's valid from Tesla's POV)
    • No alpha quick navigation
  • Excessive Sleep and/or "System Powering Up" messages after only a few minutes being parked, followed by occasional apparent CID crashes (7.1 and 8.0)
  • Autosteer Quickly Veering Right Examples (with timerames and descriptions)
I'll post back with official response I receive, which may take several days. I was told "thanks in advance for your patience". They appear to still be very backlogged. ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all OS's on the market are plagued to various degrees by this kind of thing. Can you leave one running for years? Possibly, but it's not going to work as well as one that's only been running for a few days. It's totally evident to anyone that does a before/after comparison.

Yeah, it would be nice if everything was super solid and never needed rebooting, but given how many different people and organizations are responsible for the whole package of hardware, OS, and software on a modern PC, Smartphone, and now cars, the sheer complexity leads to many thousands of small mistakes and programming errors that combine over time to create these issues.

I leave my Mac Mini sever running nonstop for months at a time and haven't had a performance issue with it.

To correct some rampant misinformation: When the system appears to "reboot" on it's own, this is not a reboot, this is a crash. The GUI is then restarted automatically. The underlying Linux OS is not rebooted in this case. Especially when this happens, I advise a full OS reboot (hold scroll wheels). Over time small errors, bugs, and memory leaks contribute to an unstable OS, and once the OS in unstable, the GUI gets slow and lagged, and will crash more often. I recommend a full reboot at least once every few weeks at this point. I reboot mine every week.

Thank you for the corrections, highly appreciated.

Lesson learned (if I'm lucky): Try not to extrapolate excessively from related fields where I know a few things.

Bruce.

FWIW, I just returned from dropping off my MS for it's first annual service. I have (amongst other things) on my Service Invoice the following most important problems to-me related to 8.0 (edited here for brevity):
  • My Top 3 USB issues:
    • Unreasonable scan times with larger number of tracks that worked fine on 6.2-7.1
    • Media Art not always displaying (maybe they can say it's a bug or document what's valid from Tesla's POV)
    • No alpha quick navigation
  • Excessive Sleep and/or "System Powering Up" messages after only a few minutes being parked, followed by occasional apparent CID crashes (7.1 and 8.0)
  • Autosteer Quickly Veering Right Examples (with timerames and descriptions)
I'll post back with official response I receive, which may take several days. I was told "thanks in advance for your patience". They appear to still be very backlogged. ;)
Good luck with that. I know you know this already but the best you can hope for is they pass this upstream to Engineering and the response will likely be "a future firmware update". ;).

If you amend that to "all client OSes" I'll buy it. Others have already provided various examples of server and embedded OSes with long uptimes.

The CID clearly comes under the heading of a client OS.
I remember lifting an IBM AS400 with its power and network cables still attached when we re-surfaced a server room floor because there was no one still around who remembered how to reboot it.

Good luck with that. I know you know this already but the best you can hope for is they pass this upstream to Engineering and the response will likely be "a future firmware update". ;).
Yeah, let's hope the SC doesn't take a crack at changing the codeline themselves. At least, this is more likely to get the issues on Tesla Engineering's radar than just posting here on TMC.

Reactions: BertL
Do you expect to get any response other than "We hope to address these issues in future software updates."?
No. That is Tesla's modus operandi with most firmware bugs.

...but I have the philosophy being a Customer of Tesla's, no different than when I ran a very large technical support organization for many years, if Customers don't take the time to officially report their concerns, the problems either don't exist, or for certain the level of importance will be lost in the shuffle as a company works only on what they view as important. I may be one voice, but hopefully other Owners have or will also take the time to formally report problems that concern them in a business-like manner. I still hope one day Tesla will listen more directly to it's Customers, helping prioritize more of what they do, along with all the visionary stuff they continue to accomplish. I'm not ready to throw in the towel trying to get Tesla in my own little way to improve their Customer Service, which I know is so critical for long term success.

Last edited:
Ok I feel l need to log my AP 8.0 experience here. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I have had my MS90D for 3 months..and logged just under 3,000 miles. I have absolutely raved about this car and (at least until 8.0AP) have loved nearly every minute in it...coming off back-to-back leased 750is and a number of other similar vehicles prior to those.

Last week I did a ~1,000 mile road trip...something I would generally not do...especially as a 20 year instrument pilot (yes, I know how real autopilots work). But I love driving the car and AP takes the overall workload and related stress of the drive down a lot, so I decided to drive it.

I did the outbound leg on the latest 7.1. It was AWESOME. Pretty solid tracking, NO scares whatsoever...and very reasonable 'nags' (in fact only a couple the whole trip). Absolute best long distance drive I've ever experienced.

I was pleased to get 8.0 during my stay and was looking forward to putting it through it's paces on the way back.

Well... Let's just say that I thought of two new bumper stickers on the way home: "My Tesla Loves Semi's (so much it wants to kiss them)" and "I'm not drunk, I'm on Autopilot 8.0." I literally thought that if it didn't throw itself (and me) under a semi, it was going to at least get me pulled over. Really very disappointing.

(I'm not going to go into the 'nag' thing. I get that it's 'beta'...and that you'r'e supposed to have your hands on the wheel at all times, etc. etc. I WILL argue the point that you should not be penalized for looking at the road (and not the dash) and leave it at that. Overall my experience on that front hasn't been 'terrible', but it is a decided step backward for me.)

The big issue for me is tracking, especially passing semis. Unlike many people experiencing 'better lane tracking', I have experienced quite the opposite, and it sounds like others on this thread have as well. And I have talked to other friends, including one on his second MS, who have had similar scary issues.

Before 8.0AP I only had a couple (maybe 'several') instances where I needed to quickly take over from a situation where I felt like the car was about to get me into serious trouble. On the way home it happened numerous times. Not tracking well, weaving back and forth/'seeking', hard swerves...especially cresting hills...if you can even call them that (this trip was between florida and atlanta). I did get one minor 'phantom' brake incident, but I didn't register it as a big deal.

The real dangerous thing was it pulling hard into many (at least half) of the semis I passed. Some trucks induced the behavior and some didn't...I have to guess it is related to aerodynamics/buffeting of the particular truck and how AP is trying to deal with that. I only pass semis on the left...so this was always on that side. I assume the behavior would be the same on the right.

Sometimes it felt like an increasing oscillation, others it just felt like an abrupt pull to the right. What was even scarier is that it really felt like the side sonar wasn't doing (or going to do) anything about it. Perhaps it would have, but I didn't feel like letting it go far enough to find out.

Sometimes I could hold it off with SOLID left pressure on the wheel (right up to the edge of disengaging). Other times I had to force off AP, a couple times pretty aggressively. On 7.1 I do recall it often hugging the lane next to a semi closer than I liked, but I don't recall it ever pulling into one anywhere close to this aggressively.

Beyond that, I still feel like AP isn't tracking as well as it was before, even in stop and go. My wife commented on it during a drive last night as well. I just engaged it going to lunch and though it was going to sideswipe the car next to me.

I DO feel it handles AP accel/decel/braking better than before.

I love my car and I support Tesla and what they are doing on a number of fronts. I am not bashing at all here..and I am sure as heck not making it up. I love how they push forward and I am willing to fully understand the limitations of my vehicle's systems as 'Pilot in Command'. I am holding out faith in their agile development processes, OTA updates, and fleet-learning capabilities to get this at least back to where it was before…hopefully quickly. I hope that's not a naive position.

At the moment, at least as it relates to AP, I wish I was still on 7.1.

I am sure that others have had different/better experiences, but that is my experience...please don't flame me for sharing it. I'm just trying to be helpful and add to the dialogue and the record.

if you read the manual it states that its not to be used on city streets.... which to me "only on divided highways" means the same thing... don't use on streets with intersections aka stoplights or stop signs or even cross traffic

• Disagree
Reactions: Max*
IMG_0096.jpg

Back to 8.0 navigation issues. Here's a shot of my nav screen when I'm actually 3miles, not 10, from home and less than 10 minutes, not 29, away. I just need to go one mile and take a right. All of the route shown that looks like the head a T-Rex in not needed. In 7.1 it also refused to take the shortest or quickest route. It picked a different, but equally flawed route. Is there anything I can do?

Reactions: Wanderer