Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that the auto headlights seem to be working properly now on 2.52.120 - as in they don't stay on all the time while driving, even during the day.

Also something that seems new, or maybe I'm never paid enough attention before, the seatbelt warning seems different. Previously I remember it almost constantly giving a warning chime and the IC display switching between the graphic showing which seatbelt is not on and regular graphic, back and forth over and over until you put the seatbelt on.

Now, it seems the graphic with the car stays on much much longer, but there is no audible warning chime.

It finally happened today - My model S with AP2 downloaded 2.52.120. But it doesn't like like anything changed. Nothing in indicating that any of the AP features are enabled. Whats up?

Yes that's pretty much true of all of us that weren't one of the first 1000 beta testers. It's actually shadowing all of your driving and sending the info to Tesla to analyze the data and then decide when it's safe to turn on the functionality to the rest of us.

I don't believe another download will be needed but rather you will just be notified when it's turned on--- of course none of us know how this will occur exactly.

New change I've observed with the latest .120 software is it seems there is a new sensor graphic on the IC. Previously I recall there being a front and rear visual that the sensor is picking up something to the side of the car while driving...now there seems to be what I would describe as a rear/back one as well, so there are 3 different graphics for each side of the car vs 2 previously.

New change I've observed with the latest .120 software is it seems there is a new sensor graphic on the IC. Previously I recall there being a front and rear visual that the sensor is picking up something to the side of the car while driving...now there seems to be what I would describe as a rear/back one as well, so there are 3 different graphics for each side of the car vs 2 previously.

If you're talking about the little traffic cone and curb, that was previously there in 2.50.180. Let me know if you're seeing a diff icon.

If you're talking about the little traffic cone and curb, that was previously there in 2.50.180. Let me know if you're seeing a diff icon.
Just got 2.52.120 last night, noticed the same thing as HX. I believe he is talking about the sensors showing objects besides the car while driving like it did on the AP1 cars. For example, driving near a divider on the highway

No, not an icon - I'm talking about while driving.

Did a search on Google and cannot find one that looks the same. I took a picture with my phone, but didn't capture it...although the Live Picture on iOS did capture it but I can't get the split second screen shot of it. :p

We're all familiar with this version...

This is kind of what the new one looked like (excuse my super quick sloppy Photoshopping). It was like a 3rd sensor picking up data and displaying it.

I can confirm that the auto headlights seem to be working properly now on 2.52.120 - as in they don't stay on all the time while driving, even during the day.

Also something that seems new, or maybe I'm never paid enough attention before, the seatbelt warning seems different. Previously I remember it almost constantly giving a warning chime and the IC display switching between the graphic showing which seatbelt is not on and regular graphic, back and forth over and over until you put the seatbelt on.

Now, it seems the graphic with the car stays on much much longer, but there is no audible warning chime.

In my pre-Autopilot car running Firmware 7.1, the display is on constantly when the seatbelt isn't worn (but someone/something is in the seat), but the chime is only played for a few seconds after a weight shift. So if the person sitting there is stable, the chime goes away after a few seconds. If because of acceleration, turning, or other factors the person there shifts their weight (perhaps slightly lifting or leaning), then the chimes restart for a few more seconds.

So basically, the chime behavior difference could simply be because the person sat still this last time. I'm happy the display isn't going back and forth between two different graphics though.

FWIW I just completed my return trip from Vegas -> SJ with 2.52.22. Compared to the trip there with 2.50.114, I hate to say it, but I did not see a discernible difference in AP/TACC performance, other than the lifting of the speed limit and no more sudden/unexpected slowdowns.

I'll repeat my earlier findings as my confirmed final verdict over 1000 miles:

TACC: Somewhere between 2.36.108 (first 8.0) and 2.44.121 (Fob-o-licious), TACC started having trouble braking fast enough when approaching extremely slow traffic (e.g. going 70mph and approaching nearly stopped traffic). This resulted in dangerous close calls during Bay Area traffic waves, and I believe someone in a MX even unfortunately got involved in a rear-ending with one of these releases. I'm glad to say that 2.50.114 and beyond fixed this problem. An idiot going 40mph directly hopped from the I-5 onramp to the fast lane, cutting me off going about 80. TACC immediately responded with real braking and I did not have to take any action. Overall, this trip I had zero instances where I needed to override TACC, which I'm very impressed with. A+.

Autosteer: Less dramatic of a difference. I thought compared to 7.1, all the 8.0 releases before 2.50 had worse lane-keeping... sometimes departing lanes around curves for no good reason. There's definitely an improvement since 2.50, especially with Bott's Dots lane markers, but it's not super dramatic and I did not notice anything different between 2.50.114 and 2.52.22... Over the course of 1000 miles I maybe had to take over a dozen times. Once or twice I was fairly convinced that if I didn't take action it would have resulted in a collision. I know this sounds bad, but it really isn't. Overall, AP made this drive far far far more relaxing, and it was fairly intuitive what situations required close supervision and what situations it was okay to relax and stretch my shoulders.

As an anecdote: Going through Pacheco Pass at night after 400 miles of driving truly made me realize how much I appreciate AP's assistance. That was the only section I had to manually steer a long stretch, and it was definitely thanks to AP that I felt refreshed enough to confidently do it in the dark at the speed of left lane traffic. I've done that drive at least 5 times before with a non-AP car, and by the time I got there I was absolutely beat and resigned myself to following a slow truck like a lame old person ;-)

@chillaban any of those flashing red two handed death grip warnings when traveling under overpasses on AP during your recent trip? It's a new and startling warning for me since the last upgrade to .114. Very prevalent when traveling westbound into mid sky sun. Finally loving my audio.

I have not, but I also may not have been driving under the right circumstances to get it to trigger. The only prominent overpasses I saw were on I-5 where the roads were perfectly straight.

Around my in-town driving with 2.50.114 I never seem to see a lot of direct sun during my commute hours.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
No, not an icon - I'm talking about while driving.

Did a search on Google and cannot find one that looks the same. I took a picture with my phone, but didn't capture it...although the Live Picture on iOS did capture it but I can't get the split second screen shot of it. :p

We're all familiar with this version...

This is kind of what the new one looked like (excuse my super quick sloppy Photoshopping). It was like a 3rd sensor picking up data and displaying it.

I have seen that one before but not a prominent. It's the lame attempt at blind zone warning

Hope this is the right thread for this post. If not, please let me know.

I have some questions about the EV-FW.COM firmware tracking site. Specifically, what to the various names refer to for some of the firmware versions. I know they mostly refer to new features, and some of them I get, but others not. Can someone post an explanation for the following:
* 2.52.22 High-Five
* 2.50.114 Fob-O-Licious
* 2.48.16 Miss Bee Update
* 2.42.40 USB Media Love - This one I know, where they fixed the media app to allow an alphabet/index on the right side for people with large USB media collections.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• ev-fw.JPG
    ev-fw.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 41
Hope this is the right thread for this post. If not, please let me know.

I have some questions about the EV-FW.COM firmware tracking site. Specifically, what to the various names refer to for some of the firmware versions. I know they mostly refer to new features, and some of them I get, but others not. Can someone post an explanation for the following:
* 2.52.22 High-Five
* 2.50.114 Fob-O-Licious
* 2.42.40 USB Media Love - This one I know, where they fixed the media app to allow an alphabet/index on the right side for people with large USB media collections.

Thanks all!

The latest "high five" restores the ability to set AP up to 5 mph over on non divided roads.

The previous version added a bunch of fob features second double click for the passenger door, triple click to close all, fobs linked to driver profiles.

I don't remember where miss bee came from - I think it was the first car to receive it?

Hope this is the right thread for this post. If not, please let me know. I have some questions about the EV-FW.COM firmware tracking site.

Here is the thread for actual tracker discussion: Firmware Upgrade Tracker

Specifically, what to the various names refer to for some of the firmware versions. I know they mostly refer to new features, and some of them I get, but others not. Can someone post an explanation for the following:
* 2.52.22 High-Five
* 2.50.114 Fob-O-Licious

The names were just a fun little thing that Hank started. The first person to report a new version has the right to provide a name. That person can seek input from the community, and at this point few people who report first are interested in the naming rights, so it often becomes a community thing anyway.

And to add information to those who have already provided it for "High-Five", it also represents the fact that Tesla fixed the "five-band equalizer settings not being persistent" issue.

Sometimes the naming doesn't have much to do with the features in the version, especially since sometimes there are no new features we can identify. I'm pretty sure at least one version is named after someone's dog! :)