Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there the risk that same thing will be raised, and discussed / differently?? in several/all threads?

"USB index doesn't work", "Album art missing", ...

IME hard to get folk to post in the right forum, where choices exist, or to use most-appropriate TAGs and so on. Moderators can fix that, but it becomes a tedious job.

I agree the Firmware 8.0 thread gets a lot of traffic when there is a release, some of it cross-over between AP/HW 1/2 ... but then it dies down.

I will now go and create a SIG though :)

is there the risk that same thing will be raised, and discussed / differently?? in several/all threads?

"USB index doesn't work", "Album art missing", ...

IME hard to get folk to post in the right forum, where choices exist, or to use most-appropriate TAGs and so on. Moderators can fix that, but it becomes a tedious job.

I agree the Firmware 8.0 thread gets a lot of traffic when there is a release, some of it cross-over between AP/HW 1/2 ... but then it dies down.

I will now go and create a SIG though :)
Personally, with Hank's 4-major-thread approach, I'd put non-AP/Classic discussion in "General", which becomes cross-platform. The question then is, should there be a 5th thread perhaps for "Infotainment". THAT may be the best way to proceed, as it's where I spend most of my time (and frustration) these days. ;)

Reactions: jgs
I am on 2.48.16 (“Miss Bee Update”) that I received in November. I received a software update notification at the same time as everyone else for 2.50.114 (“Fob-O-Licious”). Due to the negative press, I never updated. I continue to receive the daily pop-up.

Question: Is there a chance that a newer version of software (“High-Five”) has been pushed to me if I have not installed the first one? I do not want to take a chance since I am driving to Mammoth next week and do not want the ridiculous AP issues people had with the initial software update.

I believe I read up-thread that someone called TM to see which version was pending to be installed, but I did not think that was possible (this thread is too huge to find that post). If that is possible, please let me know and I will call them.

So, why isn't Tesla informing us which release is pending to be installed and what are the release notes for it prior to the installation?
They seem to be taking the "Apple-style simplicity" approach in general. Many of us here are technical but in general there are a lot of other types of folks that are also in the Model S and now X.

And I strongly suspect they are also trying to shake the competitors off their tail who are presumably watching every single thing they do.

But... even Apple tells you exactly what you're installing before you install it so that part is just plain wrong from the customer perspective. Their secret justification is probably that we are really a very small pool of users of a commercial software platform and they want to get as many cars upgraded each time as possible, to benefit from the pool of data the cars report back.

In my case, the lights did not turn on with the wipers on either intermittent setting but they did with the wipers on the constant settings. They also remained on about a minute after turning the wipers off. I do not know if they would have turned off after a minute with the wipers on an intermittent setting but I suspect so.

They do on my pre-AP running 7.1. Even on intermittent, if my lights are on Auto, the lights come on when the wipers start and remain on for one minute after the last wipe. Sometimes if it is just sprinkling, I go ahead and switch my headlights to On so they don't keep cycling off and on due to intermittent wipes.

They do on my pre-AP running 7.1. Even on intermittent, if my lights are on Auto, the lights come on when the wipers start and remain on for one minute after the last wipe. Sometimes if it is just sprinkling, I go ahead and switch my headlights to On so they don't keep cycling off and on due to intermittent wipes.

The wiper/auto-lights issue is specific to AP2 cars. I should have explained that in my post. It is related to us not yet having rain-sensing wipers. Instead, we have dumb intermittent settings where pre AP2 cars have rain sensing low and high sensitivity settings. It seems they forgot to tie the auto lights to these two settings.

I am on 2.48.16 (“Miss Bee Update”) that I received in November. I received a software update notification at the same time as everyone else for 2.50.114 (“Fob-O-Licious”). Due to the negative press, I never updated. I continue to receive the daily pop-up.

Question: Is there a chance that a newer version of software (“High-Five”) has been pushed to me if I have not installed the first one? I do not want to take a chance since I am driving to Mammoth next week and do not want the ridiculous AP issues people had with the initial software update.

I believe I read up-thread that someone called TM to see which version was pending to be installed, but I did not think that was possible (this thread is too huge to find that post). If that is possible, please let me know and I will call them.

Absent when you manually reboot the car, every time a new version is loaded to your car (even if it is only replacing the previously staged version), you get a new notification on your phone. That said, you usually get a new notification when you manually reboot and have a staged update as the car reverifies the update.

They seem to be taking the "Apple-style simplicity" approach in general. Many of us here are technical but in general there are a lot of other types of folks that are also in the Model S and now X.

And I strongly suspect they are also trying to shake the competitors off their tail who are presumably watching every single thing they do.

But... even Apple tells you exactly what you're installing before you install it so that part is just plain wrong from the customer perspective. Their secret justification is probably that we are really a very small pool of users of a commercial software platform and they want to get as many cars upgraded each time as possible, to benefit from the pool of data the cars report back.

The irony too is that in the service menus, you can see the version about to be installed before hitting accept. So the information and UI element is there, just not exposed to the public. :(

• Informative
Reactions: yak-55 and vdiv
The wiper/auto-lights issue is specific to AP2 cars. I should have explained that in my post. It is related to us not yet having rain-sensing wipers. Instead, we have dumb intermittent settings where pre AP2 cars have rain sensing low and high sensitivity settings. It seems they forgot to tie the auto lights to these two settings.

Cool. I understood it was for AP2, I was just trying to share Tesla's previous behavior. I know the AP1 cars behave the same way as my pre-AP car/AP0 car. That said, I didn't know AP2 had only basic intermittent right now, so I learned something too! :)

So, why isn't Tesla informing us which release is pending to be installed and what are the release notes for it prior to the installation?

I think the simple answer is that they are just expecting everyone to immediately (or almost immediately) install every update they push. I'm guessing 95% of people do that. Those of us that spend our time poring over posts here on TMC are a very small minority, and even the majority of us probably install all updates almost immediately.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex

That was me, and yes I was able to get my service center to confirm which version of the firmware was pending update on my car.

Coincidentally, I was also refusing to upgrade as I had also planned a trip to Mammoth and didn't want the +5 limit gone (or reduced to 0 over the limit).

Here's my post on the subject:

This is exciting! I got an update notification on my phone a couple of hours ago, and called my service center to confirm which version that was (since I refused to install 2.50.114 several times before, I was worried that it was the same one coming up again).

However the service tech confirm that 2.52.22 was staged as of a couple our hours ago, which corroborates with my software update notification. I will install it tonight when I get home from the gym and report back!

And after updating, I confirmed that it was indeed 2.52.22 that had been pending.

Have fun in Mammoth! Last weekend was epic, 17ft of new snow last week and more coming this week..

Reactions: Cyclone
Absent when you manually reboot the car, every time a new version is loaded to your car (even if it is only replacing the previously staged version), you get a new notification on your phone. ....
I have had no fewer than 5 notification on my phone ever since I declined Fob-O-Licious on 12/20/16. I thought it was nagging me to install that same initial update.

That was me, and yes I was able to get my service center to confirm which version of the firmware was pending update on my car.
And after updating, I confirmed that it was indeed 2.52.22 that had been pending.

Have fun in Mammoth! Last weekend was epic, 17ft of new snow last week and more coming this week..
I just called my Service Center, and while he was initially confused by the question, he too was able to confirm that 2.52.22 is loaded on my car. Going to update today!

I received 2.52.22 last week and was hopeful that it has fixed my navigation complaint of not believing that there are speed limits greater than 65 mph. I have not had a chance to verify if this bug still exists but will get to it sometime soon.

My new bug is with the sound system and has to do with the fader sound position not updating dynamically as you move it around. As near as I can remember this worked on previous versions. What I mean by this is the sound field position does not change until you take your finger off of the touch screen. At first I thought it didn't work at all because I always moved it around and when nothing happened I put it back in the center before I retracted my finger. I later thought that perhaps it just didn't work with some sources so I tried it on XM and then on Slacker and on my USB drive and for some reason I lifted my finger when it was positioned in a corner on one of these. And I was surprised that it moved. Retried on the other sources and it is broken the same way on all of them. So it works but just not in a terribly useful way. Now that I think about it I am not sure if the sliders for the equalizer are dynamic either. I will have to check that later as well. Whoever coded this can't have ever used a real stereo with an equalizer.

Doug Ingraham
Multi Coat Red 2013 Model S 85 "The Woman in the Red Dress"

Reactions: Nevek
My new bug is with the sound system and has to do with the fader sound position not updating dynamically as you move it around. As near as I can remember this worked on previous versions.

Yeah, it's very frustrating- nobody is in control of the UI team. I noticed the same. And, yes, the sound used to move dynamically as I moved my finger.

I sure wish the UI team would stop fixing things that aren't broken.