Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
alienating the people who should be your most fervent supporters

First three months of ownership I was taking people for rides and extolling the virtues.

I still do that, but now when people ask me I am frank about what is missing, late on delivery - including dismal Supercharger rollout in UK compared to promise, lousy QA testing, protracted booking for service appointments, and the faults that have occurred under warranty. Tesla's reputation is further tarnished if my wife is part of the discussion ...

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman
When they charged me $10k for EAP it wasn't characterized as a GoFundMe campaign for some future system, but that's what it appears to be.
When Tesla charged you $100,000 for your car, it was nothing more than a GoFundMe campaign for their next model. Everything Tesla sells is a GoFundMe campaign for something else. Kind of like a ponzi scheme.

When Tesla charged you $100,000 for your car, it was nothing more than a GoFundMe campaign for their next model. Everything Tesla sells is a GoFundMe campaign for something else. Kind of like a ponzi scheme.

My brother noted the same thing when we discussed Tesla. It does seem like they are constantly recycling promised future delivery for yet more shiny future things.

Sh & Wesley:

Thanks for the response. One important aspect of a major software release is regression testing, ensuring that new features have not broken something that was already working. Such defects are often discovered late in the process, during a beta test, because their unpredictable nature means that they wouldn't be part of a unit test plan. Software-driven systems are much more vulnerable to these artifacts than mechanical subsystems.

For that reason, and because not every new feature is selectable, I stand by my recommendation.

Just installed 17.8.16 on my P85 with AP 1.0. Took just over 38 minutes.

Release notes say they've improved fan speed and air volume behavior.

I wonder if that means that they allow you to actually control the recirculate setting now. (Or if it just means that their automatic control works more like they said it does.)

God i hope so. If I can get recirculate control in 17.8.16, I'll hit update and join the Firmware 8 crowd (I'm still on 7.1 explicitly b/c of recirculate control)!

Just installed 17.8.16 on my P85 with AP 1.0. Took just over 38 minutes.

Release notes say they've improved fan speed and air volume behavior.

This is the first time I've been the first to install an update. Unfortunately I can't really exercise my creativity in naming it, because given what was fixed this is all too obviously the "Fanboy" update.

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_5191.jpg

We run our regression test on the daily build, not sure why it would need to be delayed until later QA testing?

Because on something as complex as a vehicle there must be serious regression testing on the whole package, meaning after integration. There are many pieces to the hardware, each running different chunks of firmware, likely each with its own development people and separate build and test process leading to qualification for integration. So I'd guess a number of daily builds with at least unit tests, but all feeding into some larger integration process with lots of automated testing happening at that level.

What Bet said. Also, another reason for some owners to be conservative about adopting new releases is that frequent UI changes inevitably compromise safety until they become familiar. When a control changes its function or position it's one more distraction from the mental work of driving and one more fractional second of eyes off the road.

Again, I'm not asking Tesla to become more conservative, just to have separate stable and aggressive beta releases and let the owner decide on the best fit for himself.

BTW, I gave the local road autosteering another try yesterday. It brought back a long-ago memory of putting my seven year old son on my lap and letting him "drive" for a minute. (on private property). The same lurching and inability to stay on the road. He grew up to be an excellent driver. Hopefully AP2 will do the same.