Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Search feature in v.8 work for music on the phone?
And does it work specifically with Android?
Personally, I have never been able to get music to play from my Android phone, but the voice features and calendar work just fine.

Assuming you are talking about phone connected via Bluetooth.

I don't think Bluetooth standard provides for search through the API. So it is unlikely Tesla search can search the phone's library - Android or iOS or any other - unless Tesla comes up with the special API agreement with any of the manufacturers.

To play music from phone, just select your phone on the Tesla media player. The name of the phone must appear for selection when it is connected via Bluetooth. Then go to your phone, and play your music using your favorite app. The Tesla interface can be used to control play, pause, next track etc. The tagged metadata will also show in the player. The album art is not fetched from your phone; Tesla pulls it from the web instead.

You cannot browse or search however. That has to be done on the phone.

It should be the same for iOS or any other OS.

(If it still doesn't work, you can PM me, and I will try to help as much as I can)

• Helpful
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
So is my AP the only one going directly to chime warning ? I reported it a few pages back but I seem to be the only one reporting this... if so it's a service call for me as it's causing me AP Anxiety for the first time.

My first big AP drive with 8.0 threw 2 early warnings that I'm sure went directly to audio chime... but it was still new so ok, perhaps I missed the gentle border pulses. But today I was absolutely sure (I was looking right at the dash) I saw it go directly to audio alarm with pulsating border. This one was a tricky curve though. So are these cases now an instant slap on the wrist ? I'll have to test this one again but I am accepting that there will be bugs and scenarios that they have to still work through.

Also I decided today that the gently pulsating border is worse than a basic on/off flashing border... if the goal really is to get your attention, that is. Or better yet, flash the entire dash screen. I have turned up my dash brightness just because of this, which burns up heat and energy (quite a bit by some accounts on this forum).

This gentle pulsating seems like an example of complexity vs. simplicity. It takes true talent to make something simple. Even better when simple also works better.

So is my AP the only one going directly to chime warning ? I reported it a few pages back but I seem to be the only one reporting this... if so it's a service call for me as it's causing me AP Anxiety for the first time.

My first big AP drive with 8.0 threw 2 early warnings that I'm sure went directly to audio chime... but it was still new so ok, perhaps I missed the gentle border pulses. But today I was absolutely sure (I was looking right at the dash) I saw it go directly to audio alarm with pulsating border. This one was a tricky curve though. So are these cases now an instant slap on the wrist ? I'll have to test this one again but I am accepting that there will be bugs and scenarios that they have to still work through.

Also I decided today that the gently pulsating border is worse than a basic on/off flashing border... if the goal really is to get your attention, that is. Or better yet, flash the entire dash screen. I have turned up my dash brightness just because of this, which burns up heat and energy (quite a bit by some accounts on this forum).

This gentle pulsating seems like an example of complexity vs. simplicity. It takes true talent to make something simple. Even better when simple also works better.

So with regards to the first point, there are definitely alerts that directly elevate to either a constant "hold steering wheel" nag, or an immediate red-hands-of-shame alert, and that's not new in 8.0, it just shows up a little differently. Generally this is due to the car being confused about the lead car (e.g. someone rapidly cuts into your lane at the same time that other traffic moves out of your lane) or a collision warning being triggered by side whiskers going red. Or when lane lines disappear or are covered by a shadow with no lead car ahead.

And for the second point, I've worked in UI design before, and actually, an on/off flashing element in UI design is a very very very bad idea, because it triggers photostrobic seizures in a pretty substantial section of the population, which would be the complete opposite of the effect that you'd like to have. A gentle pulsing transition (and only on the border and not throughout a larger part of the screen) was likely an explicit decision to minimize the risk of such effects.

Ah yes, epilepsy and such. Oops, thanks.

As for the immediate chimes, my point is they count against "3 strikes". And if that's how things go now, I'll use AP a lot less.

Sure, understood. I think Tesla's point is that any sort of case where audio alerts happen is considered as a "near miss", in which case, yeah, there can be a safety argument that it's better to treat them as one of the 3 strikes. Quite honestly if I had 3 such incidents in an hour, I would probably be scared to turn on AP again for a while on that road!

With that said, I still don't think it should be common for this to happen 3 times in an hour and trigger AP lockouts, though. Ultimately, it is a fine balancing act between taking away AP on rare occasions from drivers being semi-reasonable, versus not being able to detect / intervene for extremely irresponsible drivers.

Overall, I've put on around 1500 miles now since 8.0 was released, and I still haven't gotten locked out a single time. And I definitely do take my hands off the wheel from time to time, depending on the situation.

P.S. I think there's some general consensus that lane keeping seems worse in 8.0 than the 7.1 releases, which may lead to some of the extra beeping and TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY nags. I expect that is something that will improve again in later 8.0 bugfix releases, so a lot of these concerns might end up being moot.

Preliminary report from driving on AP w 8.0 from SF to LA.
  • 450 miles.
  • 2 glowy alerts, once I felt unfair, once when I actually did have hands-off wheel for a moment to handle something.
  • When I hit LA region, maybe confirmation bias, but the car did seem to sway a bit 3 or 4 times, but only for less than 5 sec. I didn't override, and AP corrected itself.
  • No truck lust, though for the closer passing of trucks on curves, I usually did it manually - just don't trust AP on serious curves.
  • Overrode AP about 5 times, mainly for taking curves too quickly. A couple of curves on Pacheco Pass I could see coming and didn't think AP was planning for enough ahead.
  • AP was happy to work at 85 mph (Don't judge, that was the prevailing traffic), and even through light fog
  • Overall, AP was a life saver. I do think it can see a bit better than me at night with a bit of fog, and also better detect subtle changes of speed ahead.
  • My only Tesla-related trip annoyance was charging at Tejon Ranch... not sure where one would go for a bathroom emergency. How about locked stalls that you can unlock remotely with the Tesla fob? Like Summon on the door... :)
I did wonder if AP was slowly correcting itself during the trip, because I had a full car of 5 humans and medium baggage, which changes the handling from what the car is used to.

I also wonder how much of the different sway/truck-lust AP experiences come from things like tire size, load, windshield clarity, sensor alignment and other issues.

It's just too simple to say AP 8.0 is unusable or rock-solid, since it's obviously pretty different for different drivers.

Okay, here is the update from the second half of my big road trip with AP 8.0.
  • Another 500 miles.
  • Overall, AP is still a huge lifesaver both in stop and go traffic and also highway speeds. I don't feel that it performs much differently than 7.1.
  • I do think that AP works a little less well on the 5 and in the LA area. I had some swaying hiccups on the 210. I think this was related to the pervasive highway construction and weird markings on the road.
  • The navigation system consistently told me to stay right on forks that were really LA carpool lane exits. That is merely an annoyance. What is not an annoyance is that AP had hiccups dealing with the carpool lanes in general. I did have one case when AP steered me into the carpool lane, which I let it do since there was no traffic, and then it swung back to the right to auto correct, and it overshot the lane so I had to override it.
  • There are a few stretches on the 5 where the car did swing left and right for no apparent reason – the 5 is almost completely straight for 100 miles. It was 30, 25 and 10 miles south of Pacheco Pass, and it happened in both directions separated by a few days.
  • I experienced exactly one case of truck lust even though I passed probably 100 trucks on the trip in extremely tight quarters and at all speeds.
  • I still do not trust AP to handle hard curves going downhill. I think it just takes them too quickly. A couple of times I was riding on the bumps on the line.
  • I had perhaps four pulsing hands-on wheel reminders, and it was easy to wiggle the wheel to calm it. I did feel like it was unfair though, because sometimes I do like to drive with my fingers brushing the wheel lightly. I understand why this is the current situation though, and I guess it's worth it to keep the government off of Tesla's back and to keep some check on you crazy people who insist on driving auto pilot with no hands.
  • Back in the SF bay area, AP handled a lot better. One can imagine that they have more data on the roads close to the mothership in Fremont? The only place I have trouble around here is, of all places, the on-ramp at 5th street to the SF Bay Bridge, where it multiple times has taken the turn too slowly and would have scraped me along the barrier if I hadn't overrided it.
  • When I signal to change lanes, sometimes AP refuses to do it. I believe it is a silent refusal, which is annoying, because I just end up waiting for something to happen. I'd appreciate some kind of "no can-do" bonk sound or something.

Last edited:
I have turned up my dash brightness just because of this, which burns up heat and energy (quite a bit by some accounts on this forum).
Almost no heat (LED backlight) and insignificant energy use difference. A 0.1 mph speed change is many orders of magnitude more significant than display backlight usage. It would not be possible to even measure the difference it makes without external test equipment.

TLDR; Set it where you want it.

I made a quick video that outlines some of the features I think should be included in the Tesla Media App. These were features that I (and others) suggested in the 7.1 voting pole and received moderate to strong support, along with the many other media suggestions. The feature requests were based on the Empeg player software that I showcase in the video. I used an Empeg for 12 years, before the Tesla and I found a lot of it's functions to be invaluable when listening to MP3 audio in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and vdiv
I'd like to make a modest proposal for the next "Firmware 8.1" thread, when they pop up.

There's lots of features that are common to both AP and non-AP cars, and some that are just for the "Classics" out there (and yes, we have our own thread for those).

AP posts seem to dominate this thread, but there's still lots of other discussions going on about Nav, Media Player, overall UI/UX, etc that are interesting to everyone. It's hard to sift through the AP posts to get to the ones of interest to Classic owners.

So next time, I'd like to propose the following three threads (up from the two we have now):
  • Firmware 8.1 General (features common to both AP and non AP cars)
  • Firmware 8.1 AP Discussion Only
  • Firmware 8.1 Classic
Finally, I'm not asking anything to change anything with the current 8.0 threads, just maybe next time we can carve out the AP (2.0?) discussions to a separate thread.

Thanks.

Found an interesting bug on the autopilot nag or for some, a "feature". If you have low tire pressure warning (2.7 - 2.8 bar, ~39 psi) so just a bit low on pressure, the display will continuously display low tire pressure, but when using autopilot, it will not nag you at all. Experienced that on my first commute with 8.0 yesterday. Today I had some nags.

I just got 8.0; Norwegian car in the UAE.

I noticed on the settings screen that Cabin Overheat Protection is "Not available when alarm is enabled".

Does that mean it deactivates if the alarm is triggered or simply does not work if the alarm is active?
Interesting. My last car, an Audi, did have such a security system and (of course) didn't have any overheat protection. The security system was nothing but trouble, probably for the exact reason Tesla has to disable it when overheat protection is active -- things blowing around inside the car could trigger it, so I had to remember to disable it if I left the sunroof cracked on a hot day. The lack of overheat protection also was a problem -- I had the self-dimming mirror suffer a catastrophic failure due to overheat when I left the car in the sun for a while. It was an expensive repair.

So from my PoV I'm very happy to have no fancy alarm system and always-on overheat protection. But of course YMMV.

I'd like to make a modest proposal for the next "Firmware 8.1" thread, when they pop up.

There's lots of features that are common to both AP and non-AP cars, and some that are just for the "Classics" out there (and yes, we have our own thread for those).

AP posts seem to dominate this thread, but there's still lots of other discussions going on about Nav, Media Player, overall UI/UX, etc that are interesting to everyone. It's hard to sift through the AP posts to get to the ones of interest to Classic owners.

So next time, I'd like to propose the following three threads (up from the two we have now):
  • Firmware 8.1 Classic
Finally, I'm not asking anything to change anything with the current 8.0 threads, just maybe next time we can carve out the AP (2.0?) discussions to a separate thread.

Thanks.
We should just copy over the 7.q voting results that did not make it into v8 and use that for the 8.1 suggestion basis. Not a whole lot could have changed.

• Firmware 8.1 Classic

Thanks.

Great suggestion

I'd go a step further and suggest the Mods set these threads up and move posts into them to tidy up the site a bit, if not actual threads then structured folders under software to collate the various excitement.

Reactions: Lex
Is anyone noticing any changes with the 2.40.17 bugfix release vs the 2.36.108 mass deployment?

Not sure how you came to frame them this way - 2.40 versions are the first to rollout to Xs and to cars outside the U.S., deployed far wider and much faster than your mass deployment version.

In any case, there are significant differences - for one thing, the 2.40.21 release notes specifically include being able to use the universal search to find things on USB.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Not sure how you came to frame them this way - 2.40 versions are the first to rollout to Xs and to cars outside the U.S., deployed far wider and much faster than your mass deployment version.

In any case, there are significant differences - for one thing, the 2.40.21 release notes specifically include being able to use the universal search to find things on USB.

TeslaFi absolutely shows there are USA Model S's that received 2.40.21, including cars that received 2.36.108 initially. Seems like most of them were after visiting a service center…

So yes, it's also the initial rollout for Canada and also rest-of-world and Model X's in general, but it was also offered to a subset of the MS fleet.