Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see on another thread that only one of the 8 cameras are actually working. (by taping over each one via trial-&-error the tester was able to determine which if any were operational) It's highly improbable that the other 7cameras will all be brought up instantaneously. Probably at best only two at a time for God only knows how many more software revisions. If I'm understanding correctly all of the cameras are part of AP2. Just a thought.

I see on another thread that only one of the 8 cameras are actually working. (by taping over each one via trial-&-error the tester was able to determine which if any were operational) It's highly improbable that the other 7cameras will all be brought up instantaneously. Probably at best only two at a time for God only knows how many more software revisions. If I'm understanding correctly all of the cameras are part of AP2. Just a thought.

That is an old thread. It's been pretty much confirmed for 2 months that 2 cameras are used by EAP currently and all 8 are now taking images and or movie clouds for object recognition training by the NN and perhaps for high definition mapping as well as landmark.

Interesting. The problems this morning were after a night plugged into the charger but the actual charging had completed yesterday evening.

As you know, I am a very new owner. If I want to ask Tesla about this, do I contact my closest service center or some central phone/email?
Not sure if you got this resolved, heard from Tesla or whatever.

But I just run some experiments and can report that if you do the poweroff from the menu, APE does turn off, but it happens about 70 seconds after you turn the car off (and let it sit off, all screens dark).
You hear a sudden somewhat loud noise from your glove compartment that then dies down (lasts under 2 seconds I'd estimate).
This is when you know APE turned itself off.
Wait 10 more seconds and press the brake pedal to turn everything back on. APE will now have a second chance.

You can repeat this as needed, I guess, though if it happens regularly, Tesla certainly should be contacted still. Apparently there are reports of APE module overheating when supercharging. I noticed that in my car the fan does turn on when supercharging (or possibly it's just the sun that hits the dash and cooks the insides?)

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
Not sure if you got this resolved, heard from Tesla or whatever.

But I just run some experiments and can report that if you do the poweroff from the menu, APE does turn off, but it happens about 70 seconds after you turn the car off (and let it sit off, all screens dark).
You hear a sudden somewhat loud noise from your glove compartment that then dies down (lasts under 2 seconds I'd estimate).
This is when you know APE turned itself off.
Wait 10 more seconds and press the brake pedal to turn everything back on. APE will now have a second chance.

You can repeat this as needed, I guess, though if it happens regularly, Tesla certainly should be contacted still. Apparently there are reports of APE module overheating when supercharging. I noticed that in my car the fan does turn on when supercharging (or possibly it's just the sun that hits the dash and cooks the insides?)

Thank you for this info. I will try it the next time I experience this failure.

Not resolved yet. It continues to fail on about one-third of trips. When I reported this to my local service center they said they pulled the logs and would investigate, but then said I have the latest firmware, AP is working, and not to complain to them again until I have at least 1000 miles on the vehicle.

I have not supercharged it. All of the charging has been at the Wall Connector installed in my home.

Reactions: jason1466
the thing is, this kind of logs cannot really be "pulled", but they are sent automatically to the mothership.

I am just going by what the service technician told me Wednesday, "I pulled the logs for your Tesla yesterday. We received them today." So he "pulled" them from the mothership, I guess.

I also tried the voice command "bug report" once when it was not working. I thought it might ask follow-up questions about why I was filing the report, but it did not.

That is an old thread. It's been pretty much confirmed for 2 months that 2 cameras are used by EAP currently and all 8 are now taking images and or movie clouds for object recognition training by the NN and perhaps for high definition mapping as well as landmark.

I do not think the long range camera is working. We are supposed to have Automatic Emergency Braking, but cars are not being picked up far enough ahead to start slowing the car down prior to a last second panic emergency braking. Hopefully we will get the long distance camera working in the next software update.

I do not think the long range camera is working
It all hinges on your definition of "working" I guess. The autopilot code reads the camera and does something with the picture.
The narrow angle also means the car must be pretty much straight ahead of you (so no curves) to be seen and it's likely paired with radar images anyway.
See the images in https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2119808/ thread for an idea of what it actually sees if you are really interested.

I do not think the long range camera is working. We are supposed to have Automatic Emergency Braking, but cars are not being picked up far enough ahead to start slowing the car down prior to a last second panic emergency braking. Hopefully we will get the long distance camera working in the next software update.

AP stops for cars just fine, though I don't entirely trust it with stationary cars just because of previous radar detection problems. AEB limitations are not due to the camera hardware.

AEB is not currently intended to slow you from 70 MPH to a stop. It lets you control the car and tries to help out a bit when you screw up. It'll stay out of your way unless its sure your going to crash. Almost like it was using the ultrasonic sensors instead of the cameras or radar.

I'm hoping FSD software might help out a little more, with AEB willing to step in a little earlier and actually prevent a collision, but also with enough certainty to avoid braking at inappropriate times like TACC sometimes does.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

I think you're right, based on behavior I see with AP2 engaged. It certainly isn't working based on the instrument cluster depiction, but of course we know that may not be an accurate representation of what the computer is really seeing.

I hope the silky release (ANY DAY NOW!) will reduce the nausea-inducing jerky curve-handling on 94 south in the left lane from roughly Dempster to Touhy. @croman You have the same experience there?

Yup. AP2 lives in a 8-bit world. We do not. Those series of curves are a bit much for AS to handle properly. At least with this latest fw it doesn't stray from the lines but it is still herky-jerky and unnerves passengers. That stretch was where, when 80mph AS first came out, my car fishtailed and almost careened into the concrete barrier. It couldn't handle the curves at 80mph (or even 70mph). Silky is needed.

I just got an interesting datapoint.
When FCW is triggered, a special "snapshot" is sent to Tesla. This snapshot includes last 10 seconds of video from the "main" camera + radar snapshots of the same (30fps).
I guess it kind of makes sense since the car ahead should be pretty close so no point on depending on narrow camera for FCW.

Wow, cool. I've had many false alarms including one this weekend where a car turned left into a park near my house and I was about 100 yards behind. I did not slow because the car completed its turn and the way was clear but the AP was laggy and thought the car was still there. It beeped and my daughter woke up (and luckily for me went back to sleep). Hopefully Tesla sees that lag makes their warnings less useful.

NOTE: I have it set to Early because I want the warnings but I also want the system to operate as intended and eliminating lag is essential to winnowing down the false FCWs and making them all relevant. As it currently stands (in my opinion):

EARLY = hair trigger

MEDIUM = keep at the ready because if FCW comes on, you've gotta act quickly.

LATE = as its name indicates, likely too late to be useful.

agreed - but it's also evident that as cars cut you off/lane
change right in front of you - if their rate of speed is LESS than yours - you'd plow right into them - if you waited for AP2 to act upon that scenario. if side cameras were operational - shouldn't that type of detection be possible? one might as well be playing chicken if one were to wait for any kind of AEB to kick in - in that scenario.

agreed - but it's also evident that as cars cut you off/lane
change right in front of you - if their rate of speed is LESS than yours - you'd plow right into them - if you waited for AP2 to act upon that scenario. if side cameras were operational - shouldn't that type of detection be possible? one might as well be playing chicken if one were to wait for any kind of AEB to kick in - in that scenario.

The only sensor that has the car continuously in its arc during one of those merging maneuvers is the front wide angle camera (which isn't being used that we know of yet and was originally only going to be used under FSDC.)

In principle the car could note something leaving the arc of the front/side cameras in the direction of your lane - but the front/side cameras are also supposed to be part of FSDC only, and are also not being used that I've read.

Autopilot has always struggled with merging traffic in both hardware versions, and I expect that it will continue to, and only FSDC cars will ever really get past that, sometime in the mid-distant future.

I wish they would sort the Google maps sat nav out - compared to TomTom the Tesla adds at least 25% distance to journeys as there is no "shortest" route. So simple for Tesla it is hard to believe it is not an option:-(