Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish they would sort the Google maps sat nav out - compared to TomTom the Tesla adds at least 25% distance to journeys as there is no "shortest" route. So simple for Tesla it is hard to believe it is not an option:-(

Options for shortest/fastest/most efficient routes are one of the many things I was hoping for in the Navigation overhaul we were promised "in 8.1"

The 8.1 we got isn't the 8.1 they were talking about for months, with Nav upgrades and a new kernel (which is apparently being trialled in 17.18.50 on a limited number of cars,) and better cabin overheat control and AP integration with Navigation. Custom waypoints are another, since Tesla did a pretty slick job of integrating automatic Supercharger waypoints in 8.0.

Hopefully that version shows up soon - two months ago Elon said it would be here a couple weeks ago.

Bjorn's latest video shows AP2 slowing down automatically for an upcoming curve. He states the car is basing the slowdown on the map, and not visual cues.

I thought I remember someone saying AP2 does not use the map for anything AP related. Which is correct?

RT

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands
Imagine this from your pilot: "I think we will maybe have you on the ground in about twenty minutes."

That can't possibly be a lie, even if you then circle for three hours and crash into the ocean. It may not come to pass, but who can know what is in the thoughts of another, and what are the quantitative boundaries of "maybe"?

Based on experience, I would mentally adjust Musk's statement to, "I hope with the next release of software, which will be done when it's done, we will show at least some progress toward getting back to where we were with HW1/AP1. The newer announced features of EAP and FSD are a vision, not a prediction, and may or may not ever come to pass with this version of the Model S."

Based on experience, I would mentally adjust Musk's statement to, "I hope with the next release of software, which will be done when it's done, we will show at least some progress toward getting back to where we were with HW1/AP1. The newer announced features of EAP and FSD are a vision, not a prediction, and may or may not ever come to pass with this version of the Model S."

Tangible,
It looks like your glass is way more than half empty today. Pick up a 32oz Evian on the way home today. On me! :)

RT

Here ya go, looks just like this:

evian_zpsjcro6zc0.jpg

Grab one on your way home from work. Screw of the top and start pouring into your glass. Pour the Evian in until such time that the glass is no longer half empty, but perhaps half full. The amount required may vary... ;)

RT

Bjorn's latest video shows AP2 slowing down automatically for an upcoming curve. He states the car is basing the slowdown on the map, and not visual cues.

I thought I remember someone saying AP2 does not use the map for anything AP related. Which is correct?

RT

Mine is slowing down on curves and fwy to fwy offramps but still maintaining good speeds, and speeds above posted levels as one would typically take. I do not believe it is visual clues either.

RT
My AP2 car has worked this way since February, at least. I notice that it slows down if I approach a curve where there is a lower speed limit. For example, if I'm driving 55 mph and the speed limit for an upcoming curve is 45 mph, my car will slow down until the speed limit returns to 55 mph. I would guess it is just using the speed limit GPS data that it already uses for displaying the speed limit on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Wow !!.. Exceeding AP1 is a tall order. If they really do that, I would be amazed.

Hope it is not one of those Elon's exuberent over optimistic, over promising statement (aka what @oktane would call as a 'lie')

Dear @mkjayakumar, you stole the words out of my mouth! Actually, I will be so thrilled if AP2 actually works better than AP1. As much as I bash the AP2, I secretly hope for its resounding success. Every time one of these firmware updates comes out, I stay glued to the forum and wifi in my garage so I can be amongst the first batch.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is "the one" and Elon is not telling us a lie! If it works, I might have to take a short road-trip (just far enough to avoid supercharging but arrive with < 10% battery).

I am betting that oktane would be terribly disappointed and upset after the next major AP2 update. You can go safely $100 or even more. As you see I already put my money on the table.

Yeah, oktane's glass might be half empty, like Tangible's upthread. Thats why I provided the Evian.

Just proof again that the squeaky wheel gets greased. If 999 out of 1,000 are happy with a product, the story that gets the coverage is the one person who wasn't happy. And he/she is the one doing all the posting.

RT

Yeah, oktane's glass might be half empty, like Tangible's upthread. Thats why I provided the Evian.

Are you aware that EVIAN is an anagram of NAIVE? The issue is not optimism vs. pessimism. No one will be happier than me if and when my Tesla evolves into the car I signed up for last year, and I hope that will happen eventually. But having learned from experience, I curb my enthusiasm about each new release until it actually arrives, and take all Musk statements as wishful thinking at best.