Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, sure. There's no mechanism in my Next Gen seats to allow headrest adjustment, it's part of the seat.
Maybe our Next Gen seats have been in "shadow mode" all this time and the headrests will magically separate from the rest of the seat and start moving once we get 8.1! ;)

Last edited:
Ok. Here's the AP2 release notes for v8.1 (17.11.3) coming from v8.0 (17.9.3) for a car without assistance features, without self driving, without premium seats or movable headrests, without glass roof of any type, without heated steering wheel package, without air suspension, and with Premium Upgrades Package (just so I could get HEPA filter before I knew it could be upgraded by itself), and with Ultra HiFi Sound:

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

I've been getting each new release about every 19 days. I get them pretty early since I put a lot of miles on, have spirited driving, am nearby Tesla, and have a unique combo of advanced AP2 hardware and not much else as I stated above. This combo of early use, odd setup, and no ability to use assistance dangers make it a good test case car, so they usually (not always) put me in the earliest groups for updates (within a day or two).

Last edited:
Ok. Here's the AP2 release notes for v8.1 (17.11.3) coming from v8.0 (17.9.3) for a car without premium seats or movable headrests, without glass roof of any type, without heated steering wheel package, without air suspension, and with Premium Upgrades Package (just so I could get HEPA filter before I knew it could be upgraded by itself), and with Ultra HiFi Sound:

View attachment 220350
View attachment 220351
View attachment 220352

Wait... you didn't get the AS up to 80mph, summon or auto lane change? I'm assuming you didn't purchase EAP?

So as the anxious person I am to get the new toys - and having received no update last night - after I went to lunch today I parked my car close to my office to connect to wifi while at work. About an hour later my Tesla IOS app told me I had an update. I went to my car, it said I had the update (my first since I got the car 11 days ago) and that it would take 1 hr 40 minutes to install. I clicked to start. About 30 minutes later my phone app notified me the installation failed. The car said something like it had to re-download the update and start again (I don't recall the exact language).

Also, the iPhone app now has the Summon feature so it believes I have the new software.

Do I need to do anything for the update to start over again?

Received 8.1 last night but downloaded it early this morning. Finally found the time to give it a test run using AP2 so here are my early findings:
  1. Tried out the new ratings system for potential navigation points and it works as advertised.
  2. Took a test drive down the 5 (I-5/Interstate 5 for those who don't speak Cali). This is a route I normally take when performing these types of test runs as it includes points where the traffic flows smoothly but also has some slower areas where construction is occurring. I suspected that I may be faced with a camera calibration situation so was prepared to possibly be disappointed during this run. As I started my merge from the south bound 73 toll road (3 lanes in this section) I tried to go to Autosteer but was rejected. However, as I got closer to actually merging onto the 5 I tried again and it activated.
  3. I knew that I would be entering the construction area with a lot of merging traffic in a couple of miles so began to move to lanes further left to avoid those more complicated situations. Attempted auto lane change and once everything was clear on my left the car proceeded to change lanes on its own. It took a bit longer this time compared to the way it performed during a AP1 test drive but it handled it smoothly with no unexpected accelerations. I attempted similar lane changes over the course of the test drive and each time it handled them flawlessly.
  4. Truck lust was pretty much a nonissue although there was one time when a large motor home veered too close and the car wanted to pull towards it. I cancelled Autosteer manually and then restarted after the motor home had moved on. Other truck passings, though, were handled with no issues.
  5. Wavy lines on the freeway were basically non-existent at freeway speeds. This was a departure from the earlier versions.
  6. There are two streets I use to test local driving. Each one is a bit different and has very light traffic on them so I can pretty much let the car run safely. The first street has speed limit signs but the car does not recognize them. That leaves me thinking they are not yet listed via GPS. The street has some slight bends with breaks in the lines for cross traffic and one small rise where the car might lose sight of the center line. Up until today I would have to take over a couple of times as the car would struggle. Today I was able to drive the entire length successfully. I'll continue to do this over time to see if there are any regressions. The second street is a two lane but could be a four lane it they actually striped it that way. Therefore, there is only one line in the middle with no lane lines to track off of on the right side. With the latest FW version I am seeing no improvement in how the car handles this situation. It still either hugs the centerline or, in many cases, runs directly over it or steers into the oncoming lane. There are a couple of slight curves in the road also but it simply can not handle them safely. I drive this street at least once a day to see if it learns from its mistakes but so far I think it needs a tutor as it continues to struggle with this math problem.
  7. After arriving home I tried out the Summon feature. After getting my distance settings set I gave it a try. Everything worked fine while using the phone app but could not get it work using the fob. Will need to keep working on that one.
So far, I must say, I am happy with the latest version. Like anything new, time will tell and things change, but it is definitely a step in the right direction based upon this limited test run. For now, I can drive freeway speeds and enjoy what many on AP1 are already experiencing.

Appears to be a massive rollout. Installing 8.1 on my S90D now.

Agreed. My HW2 MX100D received the update at 3am. Installed at 10am. Drove first 60 miles today, 8 miles interstate driving. In summary the Interstate driving is very welcome. Cue Sammy Hagar! Very few wavy line issues on Interstate driving. Even changed lanes once. Impressed so far!
Local roads, the car lane indicators tend to 'hunt' for markers, thus wavy lines. Before jumping to conclusions on the wavy lines, let's get more reports in first.