Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I agree it's not an important feature, just a nice to have - which is why I said "wouldn't it be nice if" :)

Beats me as to why someone would dislike/disagree with this wishlist feature. Not to name any names for the sake of it, but perhaps the user in question (@MasterT) can enlighten us? ;)

It's always possible someone just accidentally clicked a button and didn't notice. I've had someone hit disagree on a post of mine asking whether summon could be initiated while sitting in the driver's seat. *Shrug*

Yeah I agree it's not an important feature, just a nice to have - which is why I said "wouldn't it be nice if" :)

Beats me as to why someone would dislike/disagree with this wishlist feature. Not to name any names for the sake of it, but perhaps the user in question (@MasterT) can enlighten us? ;)
Wow, does it bug you that much??? Why? Is it really that hard to understand that someone might disagree with
Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell your car to go ahead and update right then and there
???

Here: I disagree that
Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell your car to go ahead and update right then and there
. Hope you feel better :D

I just ignore any "disagree" tags.

Life's too short to waste any effort like that.

Don't worry, be happy.

It doesn't bother me when someone "disagrees" with one of my posts, but I am actually a little interested to hear what the downside would be to allowing software updates to be started from the app. Seems like a no-brainer as far as it being better to have the option than to not have the option. What's the downside? You could always not use the option if you prefer to start it from the car for some reason.

I'm not that person, but the post in question was replying to an assertion I made that was basically why I didn't think this feature (remotely triggered software updates) was that important. Perhaps the person who hit Disagree was agreeing with me? That's a guess.

(If I really don't agree with something I think it's a better idea to actually write a post saying why, like I did in this case. Clicking Disagree, like someone else did, is fast and easy, but it doesn't provide much insight, as in this case.)

Bruce.

I was just being a "bit" of a smart@ss here...since the post ended with "wouldn't it be nice if...", it would seem hard to dislike the idea, as in "no, it would not be nice. Period. " I am not saying that it should the number one priority, but nice nonetheless.

It doesn't bother me when someone "disagrees" with one of my posts, but I am actually a little interested to hear what the downside would be to allowing software updates to be started from the app. Seems like a no-brainer as far as it being better to have the option than to not have the option. What's the downside? You could always not use the option if you prefer to start it from the car for some reason.

People have discussed this a lot in other threads. One downside discussed is say you get a software update notice, but your wife took the car to the supermarket without your knowelege when you remotely trigger the update? The car is then inoperable for 30 to 90 minutes. There were other examples I can't remember, and yes, these are extreme edge cases, but the main reason we can't do it now maybe just be: "Tesla hasn't gotten around to it yet".

People have discussed this a lot in other threads. One downside discussed is say you get a software update notice, but your wife took the car to the supermarket without your knowelege when you remotely trigger the update? The car is then inoperable for 30 to 90 minutes. There were other examples I can't remember, and yes, these are extreme edge cases, but the main reason we can't do it now maybe just be: "Tesla hasn't gotten around to it yet".
Good point! The last place I'd want my wife stuck longer than necessary is a store.

I'm surprised we're still discussing this - it doesn't bother me at all to have disliked posts, was just curious! :)

In other non-news, I've been on 17.16.35 for almost 2 months.. the last 3 updates have been installed by my service center, and I have strong WiFi signal in my garage. Perhaps it's time to visit the SC again...

I'm surprised we're still discussing this - it doesn't bother me at all to have disliked posts, was just curious! :)

In other non-news, I've been on 17.16.35 for almost 2 months.. the last 3 updates have been installed by my service center, and I have strong WiFi signal in my garage. Perhaps it's time to visit the SC again...

Well sure enough, I just had to post this and got a notification late last night that an update for my car is available.. now, if I could have only started it from my phone app :D

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and ABC2D
Yesterday my TMS 90D pre-facelift HW1 received an 8.1 update, 17.24.28. I started installation just after charging to 90%, but I didn't check the car until this morning. Surprise: it's at 95%.

I double-checked the charge limit and the phone notification, both of which show 90%. The release notes didn't mention it, but I guess Tesla has changed how SoC is calculated in this release — and not just for newer vehicles.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Does this mean we've been charging our batteries higher than we thought?

Yesterday my TMS 90D pre-facelift HW1 received an 8.1 update, 17.24.28. I started installation just after charging to 90%, but I didn't check the car until this morning. Surprise: it's at 95%.

I double-checked the charge limit and the phone notification, both of which show 90%. The release notes didn't mention it, but I guess Tesla has changed how SoC is calculated in this release — and not just for newer vehicles.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Does this mean we've been charging our batteries higher than we thought?

People have said that after an update, the BMS recalibrates (or loses its existing calibration to give it a chance to unlearn), so this is probably normal. You probably weren't charging to 95% all along, and the truth lies somewhere between the old and new numbers.

But at any rate, the BMS ordinarily "knows" when you're getting close to 100% because individual cells start getting full and the system has to rebalance and slow down the charge rate. Unless you were getting to that point on a regular basis, it's unlikely that you did any long term harm to your battery.

Anyone else noticing the yellow 'flat tire' idiot light flashes and stays on a little longer at startup? I think it's changed with the 17.24.28 firmware upgrade... unless I have an issue I'm not yet aware of...!
Yes, I've noticed this as well, I'm in Vegas right now, noticed it on the drive up, thought maybe cos its so hot at the moment.

But yea, it doesn't seem to have a problem.

Anyone else noticing the yellow 'flat tire' idiot light flashes and stays on a little longer at startup? I think it's changed with the 17.24.28 firmware upgrade... unless I have an issue I'm not yet aware of...!

Yes, I've noticed this as well, I'm in Vegas right now, noticed it on the drive up, thought maybe cos its so hot at the moment.
But yea, it doesn't seem to have a problem.
I noticed this too... Honestly, I just figured it had always been like that and I just happened to be paying more attention to it this time, for some reason. Glad to know my Spidey Sense isn't going haywire...

People have said that after an update, the BMS recalibrates (or loses its existing calibration to give it a chance to unlearn), so this is probably normal. You probably weren't charging to 95% all along, and the truth lies somewhere between the old and new numbers.

But at any rate, the BMS ordinarily "knows" when you're getting close to 100% because individual cells start getting full and the system has to rebalance and slow down the charge rate. Unless you were getting to that point on a regular basis, it's unlikely that you did any long term harm to your battery.
I noticed this exact same thing. Pre-facelift P90D HW1. I had charged to 90% the night before. I drove 10 miles the following morning. Later that evening I installed 17.24.28. When I went out to the car afterwards, I noticed it was reporting 91%. Again, this was after charging to 90%, sitting all night, driving 10 miles the next morning, sitting all day, never plugged in, installed the update, then found myself at 91%.