Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this was asked a long time ago. How do I get the round trip estimated energy remaining when using the Nav? You used to be able to touch the bottom of the Nav direction list on the CID and it would pop up with estimates for the destination as well as round trip.

Sorry if this was asked a long time ago. How do I get the round trip estimated energy remaining when using the Nav? You used to be able to touch the bottom of the Nav direction list on the CID and it would pop up with estimates for the destination as well as round trip.

Open the Controls screen and select the Settings tab at the top.
The first horizontal tab should be Apps, under which you'll see MAPS & NAVIGATION.
At the bottom of that screen, there's option to ALWAYS SHOW ESTIMATED ROUND TRIP ENERGY:

IMG_5979.jpg

So... we are in week 32 of the year 2017, yet the last known FW release is 17.28.103. Has Tesla taken the month off or is a major new release about to be unleashed? :)
I too can't wait for the next release. However I am reminded of the story of people getting on the plane and the captain announcing that for the first time internet will be available to everyone and a large cheer is heard. Then 30 minutes into the flight the internet goes down and everyone is pissed off that there is no internet when before getting on the plane they had no expectations on having internet access.

All that to say. Before Tesla the only way your car got better after you bought it was by spending more money and doing something yourself. Now Tesla is still a company with expenses and software development is not cheap but they freely upgrade our cars. Unfortunately sometimes we forget how different that is and we just expect it. This is just one of many ways that this is the best car company ever and needs the type of financial and moral support most Tesla owners give them. The battle is far from over but for me there is no other car company that I would rather see succeed.

Having said all that. Where is that new and improved codec, browser ...

• Funny
Reactions: Austral
I too can't wait for the next release. However I am reminded of the story of people getting on the plane and the captain announcing that for the first time internet will be available to everyone and a large cheer is heard. Then 30 minutes into the flight the internet goes down and everyone is pissed off that there is no internet when before getting on the plane they had no expectations on having internet access.

All that to say. Before Tesla the only way your car got better after you bought it was by spending more money and doing something yourself. Now Tesla is still a company with expenses and software development is not cheap but they freely upgrade our cars. Unfortunately sometimes we forget how different that is and we just expect it. This is just one of many ways that this is the best car company ever and needs the type of financial and moral support most Tesla owners give them. The battle is far from over but for me there is no other car company that I would rather see succeed.

Having said all that. Where is that new and improved codec, browser ...

This analogy is a little unfair. OTA is advertised as one of the prized features of the car. I have never seen Elon or anyone else talk about what is special in the car without mentioning its ability to get better with free over the air software updates. Since the very beginning. One cannot then later ask owners to calm down pointing to other cars that have no OTA updates. You cannot have it both ways. Either sell it as a feature and deal with owners being hungry for the updates, or don't mention them, and act as if any update at all is a bonus.

A better analogy would be the airline selling expensive tickets for flights with better seats, better meals, and free internet, and then the passengers being upset about a slow and often unusable network.

Not saying OTA updates have no value. In the contrary, I do value them a lot. However, I also believe they do not live up to their hype/potential. I have a classic MS. I did get several features that I value a lot OTA. But I also feel I am almost half way into my ownership (4 years), and there are several bugs in the interface that can be easily fixed, have not been fixed. For good or for bad, Tesla/Elon move on to the next headline worthy feature, and the focus never returns to what is already there. The same will probably happen to AP1 cars soon. The focus has moved on to AP2, and certain annoying but not headline making bugs in AP1 may linger around for a very long time in spite of OTA updates.

Not only that, but I believe many Tesla owners put up with defects in their initial purchase primarily because they're "confident" that some later OTA will fix them. I don't think you could sell a car at a Tesla price point with Tesla-level off-the-lot quality and not have some mechanism like OTA available to address those defects. If owners' confidence in OTA as "the solution" erodes they're more likely to start saying negative things about the off-the-lot quality when spreading that precious word-of-mouth that is the backbone of Tesla's "marketing" program.

Not only that, but I believe many Tesla owners put up with defects in their initial purchase primarily because they're "confident" that some later OTA will fix them. I don't think you could sell a car at a Tesla price point with Tesla-level off-the-lot quality and not have some mechanism like OTA available to address those defects. If owners' confidence in OTA as "the solution" erodes they're more likely to start saying negative things about the off-the-lot quality when spreading that precious word-of-mouth that is the backbone of Tesla's "marketing" program.

My confidence in the OTA updates is already eroding. I would recommend any prospective Tesla buyers consider only the features immediately available when making their purchase decision. Don't blithely assume that any shortcomings which exist now will ever be rectified.

However I am reminded of the story of people getting on the plane and the captain announcing that for the first time internet will be available to everyone and a large cheer is heard. Then 30 minutes into the flight the internet goes down and everyone is pissed off that there is no internet when before getting on the plane they had no expectations on having internet access.

Yup! :)

• Funny
Reactions: bak_phy
Unleashed yesterday. You must have very powerful thoughts:)
Yes, received 2017.32.9ea02cb last night.

Sadly, only more "minor updates"... not the well-overdue promised UI changes, or improvements to catch Infotainment up with features much-lesser competition has provided for years, and likely few, if any, fixes for acknowledged bugs especially in Media Player (but only time will tell on the latter, as without better release notes, we each discover what may have improved.) :(

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
From my perspective, it seems positive to get an update after 1.5 months (17.26.17 to 2017.32.9ea02cb), after waiting 2.5-3.5 months between updates earlier this year. Part of that was no doubt getting the AP2 cars to functional equivalence to AP1 cars. It seems promising that we are back to converged builds that go to all cars from builds alternating between AP2 and pre-AP2 cars.

However, the change in version numbering late last year / early this year to 16/17.ww.nn (where ww was week) and recently to 2017.ww.xxxxxxx, where xxxxxxx is a hex number (build checksum???) also suggests work on the build process. Clearly work that Tesla needs to do to manage the increasing configuration diversity, but most build changes affect productivity in the short term. whatever the long term benefit.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
From my perspective, it seems positive to get an update after 1.5 months (17.26.17 to 2017.32.9ea02cb), after waiting 2.5-3.5 months between updates earlier this year. Part of that was no doubt getting the AP2 cars to functional equivalence to AP1 cars. It seems promising that we are back to converged builds that go to all cars from builds alternating between AP2 and pre-AP2 cars.

However, the change in version numbering late last year / early this year to 16/17.ww.nn (where ww was week) and recently to 2017.ww.xxxxxxx, where xxxxxxx is a hex number (build checksum???) also suggests work on the build process. Clearly work that Tesla needs to do to manage the increasing configuration diversity, but most build changes affect productivity in the short term. whatever the long term benefit.
Why didn't I get it !!

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Interesting... I was at the service center, and got the latest firmware pushed to me.
The car says "2017.32 9ea02cb", however my invoice states they installed 17.32.41
Unless they have finally automated this, discrepancies between firmware versions quoted in the invoice and what actually gets to the car are common. Much of the invoice is manual copy, paste, and edit.

Unlike the early days when the technician manually loaded the latest firmware, for at least the past year, firmware updates are automatically triggered based on having a scheduled service appointment and having the car within the geofenced perimeter of the service center. So the person preparing the invoice is at best making an educated guess about which update your car will actually get.

Why didn't I get it !!
Looks like you are new to the forums. Welcome!

Tesla's process for determining the sequence in which updates are sent to cars is inscrutable. After much speculation over the years, no successful explanation has emerged.

If it is something really important, like a security fix, the release seems to reach most of the fleet within a week. Major updates can drag out over a month or more, as Tesla verifies the release in the wild over the many configurations. Minor updates are hit and miss, as to whether your car will receive one. There is some speculation that Tesla may even use updates to test code variants "silently in the background" on a subset of the fleet so you aren't missing out on any real function at all.

What works best for me is to enjoy the updates when they come, but just chill rather than worrying whether I'm one of the first kids on the block to get the latest. This time I am early in the cycle. Just as often I am late or even get skipped. YMMV.

Got notification of a pending update today. Currently 6.2 (2.4.239) since 6/5/2015.

There are things that need fixing. Navigation more often than not fails to draw blue lines on map for current route. Took friends (also Tesla admirers) to lunch yesterday and set destination for a UPS store. Codec got stuck in infinite loop trying to announce routing instructions. One big long Max Headroom hiccup. Got to use the example to point out to my friends how the turn signal click was synthesized through the sound system because there was no turn signal audio feedback when the stuttering navigation voice was stuck. Meanwhile I was trying button combinations to find the right pair to reset the center console, which finally cleared the codec infinite loop.
The looping codec navigation voice got stuck today on our model s85d (Oct 2015 ap1) with firmware build 17.26.17. First time that has ever happened to me, but likewise forcing a center console reboot resolved the issue. I reported the defect but am concerned the forced reboot may have purged any relevant logs.

Not sure I understand your post. You're complaining about bugs but haven't installed an update in over 2 years?

You know nothing will be fixed until you actually install an update, right?

My mistake. My comment started at "The looping codec navigation voice got stuck today ". I had pasted the text above it from my reply on an older thread that had the same chief issue. when i realized this comment should be in the 8.1 thread i posted the whole thing here. Sorry about the confusion.

Simply pointing out a bug from two years ago seemed to have occurred again, even though it appears relatively infrequent.

My mistake. My comment started at "The looping codec navigation voice got stuck today ". I had pasted the text above it from my reply on an older thread that had the same chief issue. when i realized this comment should be in the 8.1 thread i posted the whole thing here. Sorry about the confusion.

Simply pointing out a bug from two years ago seemed to have occurred again, even though it appears relatively infrequent.

I figured you didn't quite post what you meant to post :).

Reactions: EVie'sDad

I am willing to let such bugs pass - the ones that appear right after an update is installed and disappear after a reboot. Would even be OK not calling them bugs in the first place.