Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is there an icon for redlight detection? We have eap with no fsd and we don’t have the redlight detection. At least as best I could test it out today.

I love that when a car gets out of my way on the highway now the car actually accelerated and didn’t just do the granny drive to get back up to my set speed.

As a new (3 weeks since M3 delivery) Tesla owner I'm confused by one aspect of this thread. Posters are referring to versions 5.xx and 8.xx firmware while my car is running on software version 9.0. Are "software" and "firmware" two different things? If so, how would I know which version(s) I have? I apologize in advance for my newbie ignorance.

No apologies needed and Welcome to the family! I saw you got an explanation on part of your question already. As to how to see what version you have, on your phone app at the bottom of the main screen it will display it. On your car if you depress the Tesla "T" on the top of the screen, the software version will also be indicated there. You can also find the Release Notes for the currently installed version there in case you didn't get a good chance to read over when you did your OTA update.

That’s what I did, I did a panic stop to not run the redlight.
If I understand what @verygreen said if there are lights depicted in the tile you should at least see a greyed out icon. Don't emergency brake at lights. If some is behind you it could create a very bad day! I, too, have yet to see a disabled control or an enabled one with autosteer.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Someone requested real-time version of NoA without confirmation. There’s a few out there now, though full of “vale add”. Here’s the shortest I could create that shows the buttery-smooth overtake and then back to original lane:

Did ~300 miles yesterday, about the same again today. Coming from 8.3 to 8.5FW. Have NoA set to ‘Mad Max’ and beep with steering wheel vibrate to notify of impending lane change:
1) no hunting lanes. Once it makes a decision it does so.
2) worked without intervention ~95% of the time. Both my passenger and I went from majorly cautious to relaxed after an hour or so. This truly can help with driving fatigue as long as you understand the system limitations
3) went from heavy rain to light rain to strong sun to strong sun low to the ground. He wipers actually worked on auto... no, seriously. I had to intervene twice only... biggest secret update imo: Wipers Now Wiping!
4) you have to have your hands on the steering wheel before the lane change will start.
5) works great in light traffic, can make you impatient in heavy traffic due to varying speeds between lanes. Definitely helps to use human intelligence and accelerator pedal for better success.
6) approaching slower traffic in your lane works well with speed variance less than ~20% of your speed, eg you doing 70 and other car 60 you’ll have enough lead time to change lane into sparsely populated passing lane, whereas you doing 70 and other car 45 you will have less time for smooth lane change and car will slow first. The simple solution to this is to pay attention to closure rates and apply the turn signal to pass manually ;)
7) I was amazed the system worked so well with low sun behind. Low sun ahead worked well too, though the sun behind I was convinced would fail due to flare from side rearward cameras... did admirable job though.
8) I found, what I believe is a new error message. In bad weather, this case heavy rain, the system prompted this and went back to just autosteer. It did clear up when weather did, though did the usual autosteer to NoA 2 lines to single line as only notification. I believe the system was perfectly correct doing this as I was pushing it to the edge of safe comfort
EF73BC3F-2F12-4E43-AC6D-362DEDE9C225.jpeg

System is not perfect, though so worth and helpful. When combined with a manual pilot is really great. Happy I could post about it.

So NoA on Model 3 (2019.8.5) - works great except for a few things - missed the exit twice, I think this was either because it was decently busy traffic but still flowing but not sure.

--> Also it keeps wanting to move to the fast lane even when the exit is < 2 miles away even < 1 mile away!.....not advisable in LA esp with passengers in the back. And traffic was flowing . I had speed based lane changes disabled or mild - didn't seem to matter. This is the major issue for me now, enough to want to require confirmations again for lane changing....Anyone else experience this? I tried lowering the cruise set speed thinking that was the issue but didn't help. In fact it made it worse in that now it's trying to move to the fast lane and my speed is set to 65 in LA and fast lane drivers will pass you at 80 with dirty looks.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
So NoA on Model 3 (2019.8.5) - works great except for a few things - missed the exit twice, I think this was either because it was decently busy traffic but still flowing but not sure.

--> Also it keeps wanting to move to the fast lane even when the exit is < 2 miles away even < 1 mile away!.....not advisable in LA esp with passengers in the back. And traffic was flowing . I had speed based lane changes disabled or mild - didn't seem to matter. This is the major issue for me now, enough to want to require confirmations again for lane changing....Anyone else experience this? I tried lowering the cruise set speed thinking that was the issue but didn't help. In fact it made it worse in that now it's trying to move to the fast lane and my speed is set to 65 in LA and fast lane drivers will pass you at 80 with dirty looks.
Sorry to hear. I had this on 8.3, to the point I kept arguing/fighting with the touch screen, though not on 8.5. If anything a mile away from exit it was saying it really needed to move over 3 lanes and did, because I hadn’t noticed freeway interchange.
LA traffic and NoA *must* have been the stress test!?

The problem I have with NoA, and from what I've read here 8.5 is no different, is superfluous moves into the left hand lane. Some caveats here are important. On a 4 lane divided highway getting out of the 'slow' / enter-exit lane is a good thing. However, on a two lane divided highway moving out of the slow right hand lane means moving into the passing lane. I generally let TACC determine the speed limit (otherwise why have it) so doing 75 in a 65 zone rightly should put you into the far left lane. If the speed limit is 65 and most people are doing 65, except in the passing lane, the car should given only two choices, stay in the right hand lane unless it is going to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: cybergates
My bigges issue with 8.5 is that the car is still unable to drive straight in its lane before intersections with additional slow down/turn lane. It still fails in many cases to avoid swinging between the lanes, possibly thinking it is a wider lane, and then recognizing this as a fork.

Autopilot is not intended for use on roads that have intersections. It's intended only for use on divided, limited access, highways.

Reactions: SO16 and evannole
I'm unclear what you mean since previous remark was about turn lanes... like it doesn't merge when a lane it's in is ending?

AP 2 and greater likes to center on the “new” wider lane, so when a lane merges in, the car will suddenly center on the wide part, possibly cutting off the poor soul who was merging in behind you. It happens in the opposite direction too, so when 1 lane opens up to 2 lanes, the car divides the gap, ends up centering the new line between the wheels then panics. I assume that is the behavior they are referring to.

AP 1 seems to handle that stuff much better. I wish we could tell the car with the blinker which lane we want to be in for the lane split scenario. Today I almost always have to disengage there.

AP 2 and greater likes to center on the “new” wider lane, so when a lane merges in, the car will suddenly center on the wide part, possibly cutting off the poor soul who was merging in behind you. It happens in the opposite direction too, so when 1 lane opens up to 2 lanes, the car divides the gap, ends up centering the new line between the wheels then panics. I assume that is the behavior they are referring to.

AP 1 seems to handle that stuff much better. I wish we could tell the car with the blinker which lane we want to be in for the lane split scenario. Today I almost always have to disengage there.

It sounds like "new" lanes don't have markings where you are?

And that when lanes are combining the lines between them go away while they're still wide or something?

Here each lane has its own lines the whole time- so I've never seen what you describe.

When a lane goes away it just gets narrower till it's gone... and when a new one appears it gets wider till it's full- but any lane you're already in stays marked as a normal width lane.