Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried during business hours on multiple days over the past few weeks to find it, and it's just not there for me.
Go to Tesla.com. Sign in. Go to tesla.com/support. Wait for a second:

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 8.49.47 AM.png

Up pops the Chat message box, the chat button in the lower right appears first. It isn't there if you fiddle around, or go looking for it, there is no link. Extremely frustrating when you don't know it's a coming. But once you know it's there you know you can just wait for it.

-Randy

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
Go to Tesla.com. Sign in. Go to tesla.com/support. Wait for a second:

View attachment 395263
Up pops the Chat message box, the chat button in the lower right appears first. It isn't there if you fiddle around, or go looking for it, there is no link. Extremely frustrating when you don't know it's a coming. But once you know it's there you know you can just wait for it.

-Randy

Thanks. I see it now but I'm also using a different computer. My pop-up blocker must be squashing it.

My theory (base solely on my experience with this situation) is that the sun can blind a camera or two with lens flaring. Nothing more than speculation based on anecdotal evidence though.

I've been getting the NoA lane change abort a LOT lately, in every condition you can think of. I think I figured out what's going on.

It's the driver !!!

I finally got to test No Confirm NoA today for the first time with 3 geeky coworkers. It wasn't pretty.

It failed to change lane over and over.

Then I realized it's me. It's kind of instinctive to "let up" on the wheel when it changes lanes to allow it to change the lane.
And I think it used to allow that.

I think they changed the "keep your hand on the wheel" algorythm for "Lane Change" for the "no confirm" even before the "no confirm" was released.

Even if I gripped the wheel firmly it would still wobble back and forth.

I had to practically "lead" the turn (kind of a constant hand on the wheel confirmation) with just a slight bit of tension in the direction it was going. When I did that, it would go. If I had slight opposite tension (that tended to not work as well). When I did anything else it would abort or wobble. And it would not say put your hands on the wheel, it would just go back to the the prior lane. So my hold was fine for keeping the nag quiet keeping the lane. And relaxing slightly on confirmed change lane on older releases used to be fine. But that is no longer allowed, since it initiated it the lane change it wants more assurances that you are agreeing.

I'm sure there are some cases like blinded by the sun. But this was failing way too much now.

I think I still need more time to get the hang of it. And Tesla might need to fine tune it. But I believe they changed the "tension methodology" during a turn for the "no confirmation" lane changes.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Anyone else on 8.5 that has been hugging the left side of the lane? Makes it almost unusable when trucks are passing.
Funny you should mention that. Yes, I have noticed hugging the left a bit more pronounced than it used to be but it isn't consistent as it spends a lot of time in the center as well. As for your last sentence, I disagree. The software has been advertised to avoid 'close encounters'. When I first test drove a model 3 about a year ago I frequently aborted autosteer as, from my vantage, it appears too close to adjacent traffic. However, likely if I had taken my eyes off the road in front of me and looked down at the highway from my driver door window I'd have noticed there was plenty of spacing. What the 3 did teach me, from the sky view of the car and lane, is I naturally tend to hug the right side of the lane.

A related question: The model 3 is wider than my previous 2012 Prius Plugin. Entering through the garage opening (two doors for two bays) is a white-knuckle experience. I did the math before taking delivery. There should be 1 1/2 ft on either side of the car's widest point, rear view mirrors. Would summons make any attempt to center the car through the opening?

What's funny is there's tons of threads of people complaining the car is too happy to stay "centered" and they'd prefer it hug the left to make passing "feel" safer to them.

Now people are upset about it hugging the left instead of staying centered.

It just goes to show that there are many different driving styles, presumably related to the variation in handedness, visual dominance, and basically the way our brains our wired.

My thinking is that if Tesla does go down the slippery slope of trying to please certain preferences (eg hug left when passing if possible), it should be customizable in a deeper “behavior” menu. Maybe the average consumer doesn’t really need to visit this menu, but the very particular driver can tweak the car’s behavior to their preferences.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I'd like the option of specifying which place in the lane I want the car to be in. Hug the left line when I'm driving in the fast lane in commute traffic so that motorcycles can pass safer. Hug the right side if I'm planning to take the next exit in slow traffic, again to give two-wheelers more room and center of the lane in all other cases.

Reactions: ThreeDX
It just goes to show that there are many different driving styles, presumably related to the variation in handedness, visual dominance, and basically the way our brains our wired.

My thinking is that if Tesla does go down the slippery slope of trying to please certain preferences (eg hug left when passing if possible), it should be customizable in a deeper “behavior” menu. Maybe the average consumer doesn’t really need to visit this menu, but the very particular driver can tweak the car’s behavior to their preferences.
That's a very good point! My preference is more physics based. I try to hug the inside of a turn. Especially at any speed centripetal force will want to push the car to the outside. If I'm already on the outside it will force the car out of the lane. That would either force incursion into the opposing traffic or a sharp, and jarring, correction.

Are there videos of cars in autopilot moving out of the way if another vehicle comes into their lane? Would love to see them if there are.
I'm not sure you would as the side cameras, to my knowledge, are part of the normal driving recordings. Although they are in Sentry Mode. So, yeah, maybe... I'd love to see them as well. It's been advertised the car will do that, to avoid being side-swiped but whether the car will change lanes or move away from car and slow down ... I don't know.

I'm not sure you would as the side cameras, to my knowledge, are part of the normal driving recordings. Although they are in Sentry Mode. So, yeah, maybe... I'd love to see them as well. It's been advertised the car will do that, to avoid being side-swiped but whether the car will change lanes or move away from car and slow down ... I don't know.
The side repeaters do record with regular dash cam. It seems like we would have seen them by now if there were videos of the car avoiding a crash or side swipe. I'm not saying it doesn't do that, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Side collision avoidance is a basic safety feature on all Model 3s, it doesn't require AP.

I've only had it kick in once, when someone tried to change into my lane without noticing I was there- and it very definitely moved me away from them before I could even react. No video of it though as it was well before side dashcam recording.

Side collision avoidance is a basic safety feature on all Model 3s, it doesn't require AP.

I've only had it kick in once, when someone tried to change into my lane without noticing I was there- and it very definitely moved me away from them before I could even react. No video of it though as it was well before side dashcam recording.
Side dashcam has been around for at least a month now, and still no videos by anyone? I will stay skeptical and wait until I have video proof to change my mind.

Side dashcam has been around for at least a month now, and still no videos by anyone? I will stay skeptical and wait until I have video proof to change my mind.

I've had the car since September 2018 and such avoidance only happened once (a few weeks into ownership) so not really surprising at all to me.

It'd require:

Something that's only happened once in over 6 months to happen during the 1 month side cameras have been online
AND
It happens to someone running dashcam
AND
That someone doesn't have a repeated camera file failure as many seem to have
AND
That someone is on the forums and cares enough to find the thread and post the video

I guess I'm not sure what you are "skeptical" of?

Side collision avoidance is a known, explicitly listed, feature of the car. It absolutely exists and works, there's numerous reports of folks, myself included, having had it happen to them.

FWIW, there ARE videos of it out there- quite a few in fact. Just none that fit ALL the criteria I listed.

Watch Tesla Model 3 Autopilot Avoid Dangerous Side Collision: Video

That's one with only the front camera, and not posted in this thread.

here's a Model S doing it- again front camera only

I've had the car since September 2018 and such avoidance only happened once (a few weeks into ownership) so not really surprising at all to me.

It'd require:

Something that's only happened once in over 6 months to happen during the 1 month side cameras have been online
AND
It happens to someone running dashcam
AND
That someone doesn't have a repeated camera file failure as many seem to have
AND
That someone is on the forums and cares enough to find the thread and post the video

I guess I'm not sure what you are "skeptical" of?

Side collision avoidance is a known, explicitly listed, feature of the car. It absolutely exists and works, there's numerous reports of folks, myself included, having had it happen to them.

FWIW, there ARE videos of it out there- quite a few in fact. Just none that fit ALL the criteria I listed.

Watch Tesla Model 3 Autopilot Avoid Dangerous Side Collision: Video

That's one with only the front camera, and not posted in this thread.

here's a Model S doing it- again front camera only
I've only been on this site a short time, but I've already noticed you are a professional arguer on here. You can argue all you want, but I can reserve my right to be skeptical about whatever I want to be. Side note, skeptical doesn't mean I don't believe, just that I would love some more proof. (ending anymore engagement with you)

• Disagree
Reactions: ord3r
I've been getting the NoA lane change abort a LOT lately, in every condition you can think of. I think I figured out what's going on.

It's the driver !!!

I finally got to test No Confirm NoA today for the first time with 3 geeky coworkers. It wasn't pretty.

It failed to change lane over and over.

Then I realized it's me. It's kind of instinctive to "let up" on the wheel when it changes lanes to allow it to change the lane.
And I think it used to allow that.

I think they changed the "keep your hand on the wheel" algorythm for "Lane Change" for the "no confirm" even before the "no confirm" was released.

Even if I gripped the wheel firmly it would still wobble back and forth.

I had to practically "lead" the turn (kind of a constant hand on the wheel confirmation) with just a slight bit of tension in the direction it was going. When I did that, it would go. If I had slight opposite tension (that tended to not work as well). When I did anything else it would abort or wobble. And it would not say put your hands on the wheel, it would just go back to the the prior lane. So my hold was fine for keeping the nag quiet keeping the lane. And relaxing slightly on confirmed change lane on older releases used to be fine. But that is no longer allowed, since it initiated it the lane change it wants more assurances that you are agreeing.

I'm sure there are some cases like blinded by the sun. But this was failing way too much now.

I think I still need more time to get the hang of it. And Tesla might need to fine tune it. But I believe they changed the "tension methodology" during a turn for the "no confirmation" lane changes.

Just momentarily take your hands off the wheel or release your grip when it vibrates telling you it's initiating a lane change. You are effectively fighting what it is trying to do there is no need to shepherd or lead it anywhere.

I've only been on this site a short time, but I've already noticed you are a professional arguer on here. You can argue all you want, but I can reserve my right to be skeptical about whatever I want to be. Side note, skeptical doesn't mean I don't believe, just that I would love some more proof. (ending anymore engagement with you)

I just showed you multiple videos proving exactly the thing you were skeptical of (for apparently no actual reason) and providing exactly the type of evidence for which you were asking.

Your reply was basically a personal attack.

But hey, you do you I guess.