Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Build v9.0 2019.24.4 73fblab

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it a couple of days ago. A stinker for autopilot. Braking has regressed and gotten jerkier again, phantom braking and microbraking for adjacent cars exaggerated, had some complete autosteer aborts when stopped at traffic lights which then put the car into park. One tight turn that I always test autopilot on it had passed regularly last release it fails every time now. Wipers got worse. Have fun.
Your feedback is interesting as I've has 2019.24.4 for two days now and Autopilot is not reacting like it did in 2019.20.4.2.
On multiple occations where lane speed differentials are high on the highways it gets scared and will phantom brake in areas it was uncertain in. This was a 100 km/h highway.
Ex, I had no one in front of me and I was in the left lane; My speed was set to 100, the cars in the lane right to me were running at ~85km/h; my Model 3 was stuck on about 86 km/h; I tried pressing on the pedal to speed up since people were kissing my behind and it would but as soon as I let go it would fall back to ~86 km/h.
I took back control and tried it a little later on and it worked fine. BTW, I restarted and Powered Off for 5 min. after the update.
Overall, it seems much more reactive to cut-ins and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

I will give it a chance and I really want to understand why it's phantom braking and what triggers that behavior.
Wouldn't it be wise for Tesla to share what they are trying to accomplish and how to help them better train the NN?

Reactions: Techno-phile
We also seem to have had a maps update - map version went from late 2018 to mid 2019.

The map updated happened before the latest firmware update

Attachments

• IMG_3106 2.jpeg
    IMG_3106 2.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Informative
Reactions: paulp
Got it a couple of days ago. A stinker for autopilot. Braking has regressed and gotten jerkier again, phantom braking and microbraking for adjacent cars exaggerated, had some complete autosteer aborts when stopped at traffic lights which then put the car into park. One tight turn that I always test autopilot on it had passed regularly last release it fails every time now. Wipers got worse. Have fun.
Agree completely - "glad" it's not just my car. Plus as one person has posted, on highway - other car in slow lane doing 85 kph - my autosteer set to 105 kph, in overtaking lane, clear road in front, my car would not overtake. Had to abort AP and pass manually. Very bad update this...

Reactions: conman
Agree completely - "glad" it's not just my car. Plus as one person has posted, on highway - other car in slow lane doing 85 kph - my autosteer set to 105 kph, in overtaking lane, clear road in front, my car would not overtake. Had to abort AP and pass manually. Very bad update this...
Is it possible that being a beta system, for the software to develop, as many perceived bad and good updates are purposely done so that the shadow mode data gets a wider variety of real life incidents to compute? My experience is with beta, you take what you get in the hope it eventually achieves full functionality.

People often report bad AP just after an update.
It happens so frequently it makes me wonder if there's a sort of recalibration or something that happens.
In a month's time, let us all know if AP is still bad or if it's better.

Is it possible that being a beta system, for the software to develop, as many perceived bad and good updates are purposely done so that the shadow mode data gets a wider variety of real life incidents to compute?
I think you greatly overestimate what can be captured based on such changes. I've also seen my car uploading almost nothing lately as well, where previously it would often upload 50-100MB for the same trips. Don't read too much into the shadow data marketing; only corner cases that go wrong on the latest firmware on select vehicles might send snapshots, and that's all.

Last Friday, after the update I was passing a truck in the slow lane on the Hume Highway and the car baulked, as it did so I noticed that the car had seen a Motorcycle between my car and the truck I was passing and the Motorcycle was highlighted in red.
I accelerated and steered away from the truck slightly and the car settled back into Autopilot.
That is the only weird thing that has happened since the last update.

Version 10 is coming. From what I can see, there is nothing in it for us Tesla veterans. These games things, are useless to me. I don’t use them at all. They obviously are not going to unlock the final available features of the chip in our cars. Probably wont pay intel for the license.
So, the last 3 updates only reduced my charging rate and so downgraded my car. I got nothing in return. Not what I call continuous over the air improvements.

Reactions: tobygriffin
Version 10 is coming. From what I can see, there is nothing in it for us Tesla veterans. These games things, are useless to me. I don’t use them at all. They obviously are not going to unlock the final available features of the chip in our cars. Probably wont pay intel for the license.
So, the last 3 updates only reduced my charging rate and so downgraded my car. I got nothing in return. Not what I call continuous over the air improvements.

Agree with you, worse than that all the updates has made a once “press the speaker button and instantly works” with saying “ring blah blah” or “take me home” etc. in to a slow and unreliable experience. Often the button doesn’t work at all or we just get the spinning circle and the a ? mark after a while. The interface is slower with generally improvements feature wise for us.

Like you I was sold the car with promise the car will get better each day due to over the air updates, clearly for nearly 2 years of my 4 years of ownership Tesla have not delivered on this experience.

I know it is not my car, I have a loaner car which is near identical age wise to my car and it is doing exactly the same thing.

I’m sick of reporting it and getting told by the SC that it will be addressed in updates, it’s out of our hands etc.

Don’t get me started on the promise the car would open the garage for me, as soon as regulation allows it to then find out my car didn’t even have the hardware installed.

Enough already, just fix our cars to a working state.

What’s this you talk of re Intel license and aren’t unlocking which feature?

Re: the spinning wheel
Mine did that for a while, and has got better, back to pretty much instant results.
Also, a few glitchy annoying things resolved when I restarted the car “as new”.
Lost a lot of data. Gained smooth functionality and a few kms of “range”.
Maybe it’s good to do occasionally? Not advice, just anecdote :)

Challenged the system this morning in the harbour tunnel. It is retrogressive. It is now scared of stuff in the adjacent lane to my left and seemed to be steering towards the barrier on my right. I took over once or twice. It was driving right on the lane marker line. So, restricted supercharging rates, no significant upgrades over the last 3 “updates” and now a timid car. Wonderful how Tesla supports those of us who supported and promoted them in the early days!!
Even the “games” they HAVE sent out are a waste of computer space. Yes, I know that the computer on ver1 is not up to the latest games, but they could offer us an upgrade to ver 2 computer at reduced rates. Or, shock horror, they could actually unlock the remaining features of the IQ3 chip. I am certain there are features there that were not unlocked at the time Elon had his hissy fit and decided to go his own way with navigation. For instance, i believe the chip IS capable of stop light recognition. Why wouldn’t it be? It can see speed signs after all.

Nothing is going to be supported forever. No hardware nor software nor cars. I do not know why the expectations would be otherwise for Tesla. You are not going to get a free upgrade for your 8 year old Dell PC...
Maybe its from when Musk said (when version 1 was the latest) stated that a tesla model s is the last car you will ever need to buy as it will be self driving, and continually updated.