Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I think tomorrow morning is my personal deadline for cancellation. In production for 20 days, finally shipped to somewhere. I had an appt today for pickup but received a call over the weekend canceling the appt with no other information or delivery date. I was promised a call this morning, but nothing. Called my DS later in the morning with no response to the message. Then, just got a call from a DS in California (200mi away) doing the initial calls for a delivery like asking about financing and trade-ins.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's not just the wait time. It's the lack of information and the chaos of it all. I think I'll be sticking with the current car for a few more months and then try again in the Spring or Summer.

Well, I think tomorrow morning is my personal deadline for cancellation. In production for 20 days, finally shipped to somewhere. I had an appt today for pickup but received a call over the weekend canceling the appt with no other information or delivery date. I was promised a call this morning, but nothing. Called my DS later in the morning with no response to the message. Then, just got a call from a DS in California (200mi away) doing the initial calls for a delivery like asking about financing and trade-ins.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's not just the wait time. It's the lack of information and the chaos of it all. I think I'll be sticking with the current car for a few more months and then try again in the Spring or Summer.

You also might be able to pickup a good deal in March with P85D loaners and demo units. I think they are good with keeping the deposit for another-choice down the road. Seems to have worked with many people who cancelled already-built cars to get a P85D recently or who wanted 2015 Vin #s.

Well, my car escaped the black hole, but the next gen seats did not.

I took delivery today and did not win the seat lottery - got old seats front and back.

It looked like it was about 50/50 for next gen seats of the dozen or so cars there prepping for delivery.

Sure was fun seeing the next gen seats in the car getting delivered next to mine. :-/

On to the next waiting list...

Still no car for me yet. Got word it should be in sometime next week but who really knows. The part that really pisses me off is my assigned DS. He doesn't answer voicemails or emails unless I contact upper management - then I always get a fast reply. His latest nonsense was after I brought up the subject of not getting the car as I ordered & paid for. If you pay for something, you should get exactly that in my eyes, especially on a $130k car.

I asked hypothetically since I wasn't going to receive the car the way I ordered (without next gen seats at all which I was perviously told) if I had the option of picking a new seat color when they get the next gen seats back in stock if I wanted - although I was probably going to keep the gray I just wanted to keep my options open. I also brought up that I might not want to accept delivery so I can just wait for them to fix their supply issues, then order again and get it built the right way from the start. Here was his reply.

I forgot to address this question in my previous email. If you wanted to rebuild your Model S as a 2015, we would need to start by placing a new deposit of $2500. Since you would be ordering a completely new Model S you would be able change the color.

A new spot in the queue would also mean a delivery in late February or March. By that point, we will most likely have installed the Next Generation Seats in all Model S that were supposed to have them – including the Model S we have already built for you.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you would like further clarification.

Side note, I test drove a P85D with full next gen seats at a Tesla store in a "cold state" this weekend while on a personal trip. Saw a sales-person driving by in one and followed them for a mile to the store and took it for a spin. Pretty fun car to launch & then test drive, even in some ice and snow in the parking lot that froze over from a few days before. Took a quick video too but can't post it for the reason below.

The heated steering wheel.

It isn't allowed to be mentioned by anyone at the Tesla store or it could cost them their job. The person I spoke with got nervous when I brought it up while checking in the winter option menu during the test drive. The car didn't have a heated wheel even though it was in a cold weather state. They asked how I knew about it and then mentioned they are not allowed to say anything about it per an email that was sent out. Not posting a city, state, or name so don't ask. That's my update, let the waiting continue!

It isn't allowed to be mentioned by anyone at the Tesla store or it could cost them their job. The person I spoke with got nervous when I brought it up while checking in the winter option menu during the test drive. The car didn't have a heated wheel even though it was in a cold weather state. They asked how I knew about it and then mentioned they are not allowed to say anything about it per an email that was sent out. Not posting a city, state, or name so don't ask. That's my update, let the waiting continue!

Just BTW, we can see where you live on the left side next to your name :)

Hey Fellow Black Holers...

Just wanted to update you that I finally took delivery this last Saturday. No next Gen Seats in back or front, however I got black performance seats which I thought was somewhat of a nice touch.

Odd thing was I had an old version of the 6.0 Software... I didn't have the INSANE mode option and I still had the steering choices etc. They loaded the software on for me after I mentioned it and they told me to start it at home since it could take an hour and a half. I'm glad they allowed me to do it that way cause my car was out of commission for almost 2 hours while it updated.

Only issue so far, and I posted about this on the main page, is that I really can not feel any vibration warnings with the Lane Departure Warning feature... it is turned on under settings. The speed warning system works great.

Also I do feel a lot of just constant road type vibration in the wheel that I did not feel in the past with my P85+... so a little odd.

Thanks for possibly causing a hard working person their job. Yes, despite not posting a city, state or name.

They asked how I knew about it and then mentioned they are not allowed to say anything about it per an email that was sent out
Well that's rather silly. Did you tell them you knew about because people have started to get heated steering wheels and posting photos of the UI??

I don't see how it could cost anyone their job to wonder how someone knew about something that was supposed to be hush-hush but, in fact, was already known publicly. Or, at least known to those of us who peruse these forums religiously. :)

Tesla needs to stop with this nonsense of shipping features on new cars and then telling employees not to talk about them because they haven't announced them yet. For a company born in the Internet Age and who's CEO made his fortune off the Internet sometimes they act like they're unaware that their customers talk to each other. You can't keep things like this secret.

They're putting their employees in a terrible position. One they shouldn't have to be in.

Tesla needs to stop with this nonsense of shipping features on new cars and then telling employees not to talk about them because they haven't announced them yet. For a company born in the Internet Age and who's CEO made his fortune off the Internet sometimes they act like they're unaware that their customers talk to each other. You can't keep things like this secret.

They're putting their employees in a terrible position. One they shouldn't have to be in.
+1

i agree.

Yup. Couldn't have said it any better Breser.

I was actually told something very similar to what Island was told... the staff/employees have been told not to speak on certain features, though its apparent some cars are shipping with them. Same exact thing happened in Sept, when the autopilot first broke.
Ppl were posting images of cars with the cameras and radar and how the delivery team wouldn't/couldn't answer questions about what they were there for.

Made the call to cancel my black hole order. (First I tried locally, message machine again.) I do have to say, once you reach someone in headquarters they are certainly helpful and understanding. They let me know they'll be calling me back with the logistics on canceling the order. I'll likely order again in the Spring when things get sorted out a bit more. I just have a hard tim investing this amount of money in a car that doesn't have my full confidence. I'll follow with an update in case others are wondering what is possible with a cancellation (i.e., saving the deposit for a later order, etc.)

Yup. Couldn't have said it any better Breser.

I was actually told something very similar to what Island was told... the staff/employees have been told not to speak on certain features, though its apparent some cars are shipping with them. Same exact thing happened in Sept, when the autopilot first broke.
Ppl were posting images of cars with the cameras and radar and how the delivery team wouldn't/couldn't answer questions about what they were there for.

My guess is that Tesla is doing its best to keep improving its product by adding new features whilst trying to minimize upset to customers who just miss out on these new features.

It must be very difficult to reconcile the complex assembly plant that spits out the mix of cars with new features and cars with no new features, with the communication that keeps all customers happy.

With time, Tesla is likely to learn the optimum granularity of communication that goes out to customers and the optimum timing of such communications.

Perhaps feedback from customers on the least upsetting way to break unlucky customers news – 'sorry your car does not have new feature that other cars are getting’ to unlucky customers may speed up that learning.

My guess is that Tesla is doing its best to keep improving its product by adding new features whilst trying to minimize upset to customers who just miss out on these new features.

It must be very difficult to reconcile the complex assembly plant that spits out the mix of cars with new features and cars with no new features, with the communication that keeps all customers happy.

With time, Tesla is likely to learn the optimum granularity of communication that goes out to customers and the optimum timing of such communications.

Perhaps feedback from customers on the least upsetting way to break unlucky customers news – 'sorry your car does not have new feature that other cars are getting’ to unlucky customers may speed up that learning.

As a customer who's S85 missed autopilot by a day. A whole lot of "sorry you just missed it" at the delivery would have gone a long way with me. Instead I got a whole lot of "never heard of that."

As a customer who's S85 missed autopilot by a day. A whole lot of "sorry you just missed it" at the delivery would have gone a long way with me. Instead I got a whole lot of "never heard of that."

Sorry to hear that you missed it, that is from me, I am not connected with Tesla, just an investor.

Agree with you that empathic acknowledgement of misfortune seems to flow better than not saying anything.

Perhaps Tesla may need to develop a generic disclaimer for all customers. The disclaimer would have to be acknowledged prior to ordering.

The disclaimer may state many things, including something to the effect "Tesla is continually upgrading cars with new features. Complexity of our logistic process may result in you not getting some of newly developed features incorporated in your car, whilst some other cars produced at the same time may get the new feature. This allocation is completely random and unintentional. We are sorry if that happens to you" etc etc

My personal experience with delivering bad news is that such news are received with far less anguish if people on the receiving end have understanding of why they got unlucky. It is helpful if their experience of being unlucky can be de personalised by providing appropriate facts and explanations. In this case some explanations of the process complexity, number of cars being affected (not sure about that, maybe), the flow of cars through the pipeline, etc. If appropriate and not damaging in some other way, perhaps such information might be helpful.

Or perhaps Tesla can do a bit better than the above. Throw in some generic sweetener to unlucky customers that fall into the pipeline with upgraded cars. Sweetener lessens the pain better than just words. It might be difficult to discern where to draw the line for the sweetener.

Last edited:
+1

- - - Updated - - -

Oops - noob mess :crying:

+1