Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla vehicle delivered with HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just gonna drop this nugget here...

Its Interesting to see that the rear looking cameras are now tilted outward just like the Mobileye camera layout.

Is it still too much of a stretch to say that HW3 owners are f......?

Tesla old repeater.
FphJT0rXEAoV6VY

Tesla new repeater
FphJT0pXgAAtwos

Mobileye repeater
289b520230223090935702.jpg
I’m lost by your self proclaimed nugget. The old and new are the same taken from different angles. (Reference tire per photo). Yes they change the vendor and lense mount. So what.

Just gonna drop this nugget here...

Its Interesting to see that the rear looking cameras are now tilted outward just like the Mobileye camera layout.

Is it still too much of a stretch to say that HW3 owners are f......?

Tesla old repeater.
FphJT0rXEAoV6VY

Tesla new repeater
FphJT0pXgAAtwos

Mobileye repeater
289b520230223090935702.jpg
The difference between the first two Tesla pictures is not quite so obvious to me. They're not taken from the same perspective angle. Note the one that you say is angled outward more, is photographed from a shower angle to the fender as you can see from looking at the wheel well.

I'm not writing this just to argue with you; perhaps the housing is indeed substantially different but I don't think we can tell from these particular pictures.

The difference between the first two Tesla pictures is not quite so obvious to me. They're not taken from the same perspective angle. Note the one that you say is angled outward more, is photographed from a shower angle to the fender as you can see from looking at the wheel well.

I'm not writing this just to argue with you; perhaps the housing is indeed substantially different but I don't think we can tell from these particular pictures.

Earlier I saw a side by side of the viewing angle from old-style cams vs. new-style cams and it was pretty clear that the new version could see wider. Can't find it again but it was a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison with similar surroundings (same garage).

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Earlier I saw a side by side of the viewing angle from old-style cams vs. new-style cams and it was pretty clear that the new version could see wider. Can't find it again but it was a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison with similar surroundings (same garage).
That's helpful and interesting. I wasn't trying to dispute what @Bladerskb wrote, simply pointing out it wasn't too clear from those photos. And to be clear, I've been writing for a long time that I think the camera positioning has been suboptimal . Thanks for your additional comment.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sorry, which part shows a wider view? Based on the rear camera, it seems like the new S was parked a few inches forward relative to the Y and is a longer vehicle too.

The cameras still can be higher resolution and just cropped and presumably used with existing Autopilot?
I suppose that version makes sense too. We’ll see soon.

There’s also this (potentially confirming the earlier rumor about there being 1 less camera), though I’m not sure I understand the “can’t see left/right” bit in this context:

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I suppose that version makes sense too. We’ll see soon.

There’s also this (potentially confirming the earlier rumor about there being 1 less camera), though I’m not sure I understand the “can’t see left/right” bit in this context:

The leaked list of camera connectors for HW4 had what people assumed were front fender (FF) cameras that see left and right also (L-FF-Side and R-FF-Side). These obviously do not exist in the leaked vehicles (the initial rumor of headlight cameras have been fully disproven, Teslascope issued a correction). What exists are the existing rear facing fender cameras (L-FF-Rear, R-FF-Rear). The B-pillar cameras still exist, so perhaps that is what is plugged into those inputs for now.

Last edited:
Actual HW4 car delivered:
”All visualizations are currently broken except for lanes. Not even the old AP car agent representations are there. I added a video to the album just now showing this.”

Guess the software for these also missed the release date (not surprising though given past track record). Running 2023.2.200. Photo album from the post with some high res photos of cameras and in-car screens: Model X Plaid HW4 delivery March 5, 2023

Also found it kind of interesting that the windshield camera unit does indeed appear to have a dummy camera on the left side. Middle and right look like real cameras.

”All visualizations are currently broken except for lanes. Not even the old AP car agent representations are there. I added a video to the album just now showing this.”

Guess the software for these also missed the release date (not surprising though given past track record). Running 2023.2.200. Photo album from the post with some high res photos of cameras and in-car screens: Model X Plaid HW4 delivery March 5, 2023

Also found it kind of interesting that the windshield camera unit does indeed appear to have a dummy camera on the left side. Middle and right look like real cameras.
Yikes. Non complete software, non functional backup cam on top of several other major quality issues at delivery. Who knows when HW4 software will be finalized.

Don’t they internal test the hardware before putting it into production and selling it? Why would the software not be ready? They had to have written the software in order to test and validate the new cameras and autopilot function in the first place, no??

Yikes. Non complete software, non functional backup cam on top of several other major quality issues at delivery. Who knows when HW4 software will be finalized.

Don’t they internal test the hardware before putting it into production and selling it? Why would the software not be ready? They had to have written the software in order to test and validate the new cameras and autopilot function in the first place, no??
Yeah just saw his post in the other forum: Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

Definite yikes. Classic teething issues with every new Tesla product release.

Excellent photos, videos!

There's a post on Reddit where a member got delivered with a new Model X Plaid that supposedly has the HW4 and Pheonix Radar installed.

No extra cameras were found, HW4 software seems to be not working at the moment and breaks existing functionality.

Photos and videos can be found: Model X Plaid HW4 delivery March 5, 2023
Nothing works, at the moment, being the most noticeable difference. Here's the features that I've noticed are missing, so far:

• Car agent representation on the legacy AP visualization (just the lanes are drawn)
  • Cruise Control, Autopilot, and Navigate on Autopilot
  • FSD opt-in
  • Parking sensors
  • Autopark
  • Preview FSD Beta Visualization
  • Summon
My backup camera is also DOA. They tried fixing it at the Deliver Center but they couldn't bring it back online so I've got an appointment scheduled for Thursday to fix this and other defects. Those are:

• Dead backup camera
  • Water in a tail light
  • Water seal leak in driver's side door vent window
  • Driver's side FWD has a phantom sensor reading on close
Source:
AMWts8DqChcw0WtAnm0ghpoDFUNVIxsq1BC9YYVnv0lvUspDqce_h_aFUf83i8bOn7B1o-oj7hWhh--NC5_IuoAErs0Y9tm0bJcGXAlqrKX0YbV62s-QYbjimBgYyoUbx1EDAPw-8B9J4vHWKXmDGQ7P7AOZ6A=w892-h671-no

On the photo of the Controls > Autopilot screen, it said "Additional cameras calibrating (0%)" in a couple of places. Could that be why non of the AP features are working yet?

BTW, I thought I saw this same topic posted earlier this morning with some replies, but I don't see that one now. What happened?
The poster on Reddit mentioned that Autopilot features are still disabled after calibration have finished.

This must be another Tesla's manufacturing YOLOs where they'll figure out the software after the parts have been shipped...

Reactions: PCTAZRichard