Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire on road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were in the Napa area at a relative’s home when we discovered our flat tire. Ordinarily, my husband would have pulled the tire and taken it in for repair or replacement, but we were 400 miles from home with no tools. We called roadside assistance, who could get a loaner tire to us that day, but it couldn’t be fixed or replaced for 2 more days. They would call back with an appointment. I then called AAA, who wanted to tow it 24 miles away. While on the AAA call, Tesla called back to say that the loaner could arrive in an hour. We took that option, and a loaner arrived within that time. Two days later, a great guy, whose name I didn’t get, backed the giant Tesla van down a very steep driveway, and expertly pulled the screw out of the tire and patched it. He was very personable and quick at his work. It was an excellent experience and cost $80, which I felt was reasonable.
The one photo is of the screws, nails, etc, that he had pulled from tires in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 041EE647-FDD2-4F67-B472-AB101479BA3D.jpeg
    041EE647-FDD2-4F67-B472-AB101479BA3D.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 1,304
  • F2287A10-422B-4527-9F5B-8C213AC9DEC1.jpeg
    F2287A10-422B-4527-9F5B-8C213AC9DEC1.jpeg
    845.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 17A7C1A4-F380-4F68-BB3C-4EFE9A0B5CC0.jpeg
    17A7C1A4-F380-4F68-BB3C-4EFE9A0B5CC0.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 399
  • E486696F-00CD-4A08-B601-1A0B28E9BEBF.jpeg
    E486696F-00CD-4A08-B601-1A0B28E9BEBF.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 411
  • B64DE8E0-8828-42F5-947D-08799F90A898.jpeg
    B64DE8E0-8828-42F5-947D-08799F90A898.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 415
  • 1CA3A196-1241-4B32-BE6A-E8D4D837560A.jpeg
    1CA3A196-1241-4B32-BE6A-E8D4D837560A.jpeg
    830.6 KB · Views: 435
So I assume the screw in the tire caused a slow leak. So did you get any TPMS alerts while driving, or did it go flat while parked?

I assume you don't have a emergency tire inflator/slim kit, or tire plug kit?
Might want to consider some or all of these for road trips, along with a flashlight/headlamp, Leatherman/Multi-tool, and first aid kit.
I've got over 50K miles including two cross country road trips, and fortunately have never needed any of my emergency supplies :).

I would only recommend the "tire slime" as a last resort, as it can render the tire unrepairable.

So I assume the screw in the tire caused a slow leak. So did you get any TPMS alerts while driving, or did it go flat while parked?

Might want to consider some or all of these for road trips, along with a flashlight/headlamp, Leatherman/Multi-tool, and first aid kit.
I've got over 50K miles including two cross country road trips, and fortunately have never needed any of my emergency supplies :).

I would only recommend the "tire slime" as a last resort, as it can render the tire unrepairable.
It was a slow leak while parked, so there were no notifications until we drove. We have done thousands of miles in road trips, with this being the only problem, but we’ll probably get some sort of tire repair kit for future issues. We have all other emergency supplies and AAA.

Let’s get the Cybertruck/Roadster.next/Semi/Model 2 done before we worry about a Ford Transit/Merc panel van electric clone.

Since they don’t have a skateboard platform like VW (yes I know why) there’s a bit more effort needed to create new vehicles.

Reactions: trojaneen
Why doesn't Tesla create their own maintenance vehicles for themselves and other professionals to buy?

Kind of lame they don't use their own vehicles, like if an Apple store used Microsoft products. I guess its cheaper to buy competitor vehicles than make their own maintenance vehicles?
I remember a Tweet from Elon Musk mentioning the possibility to get some Mercedes Sprinter gliders, which would be cheaper than a adding new assembly line.

Why doesn't Tesla create their own maintenance vehicles for themselves and other professionals to buy?

Kind of lame they don't use their own vehicles, like if an Apple store used Microsoft products. I guess its cheaper to buy competitor vehicles than make their own maintenance vehicles?
Still a young company with limited capacity and production lines.

We were in the Napa area at a relative’s home when we discovered our flat tire. Ordinarily, my husband would have pulled the tire and taken it in for repair or replacement, but we were 400 miles from home with no tools. We called roadside assistance, who could get a loaner tire to us that day, but it couldn’t be fixed or replaced for 2 more days. They would call back with an appointment. I then called AAA, who wanted to tow it 24 miles away. While on the AAA call, Tesla called back to say that the loaner could arrive in an hour. We took that option, and a loaner arrived within that time. Two days later, a great guy, whose name I didn’t get, backed the giant Tesla van down a very steep driveway, and expertly pulled the screw out of the tire and patched it. He was very personable and quick at his work. It was an excellent experience and cost $80, which I felt was reasonable.
The one photo is of the screws, nails, etc, that he had pulled from tires in 2 weeks.
Did you happen to notice if he used "Jack Pad Pucks" when he lifted the car?

YES!! Everyone going on a trip should have a plug kit and a compressor. Flats are generally caused by pointy objects puncturing the tread, and the tire can be easily and quickly fixed while the tire and wheel remain on the vehicle, and the kits are cheap. There is no waiting for a Tesla Ranger to show up. Of course, if you can't push a tool into a hole, I guess you're just out $80.

If I'd known you were in Napa Valley with a flat I would have come and fixed it for free.

YES!! Everyone going on a trip should have a plug kit and a compressor. Flats are generally caused by pointy objects puncturing the tread, and the tire can be easily and quickly fixed while the tire and wheel remain on the vehicle, and the kits are cheap. There is no waiting for a Tesla Ranger to show up. Of course, if you can't push a tool into a hole, I guess you're just out $80.

If I'd known you were in Napa Valley with a flat I would have come and fixed it for free.
I've got the Tesla inflator and a plug kit but curious if it would inflate the tire from flat with the weight of the car pushing down on it.
I'm guessing not once the bead seal is broken

I've got the Tesla inflator and a plug kit but curious if it would inflate the tire from flat with the weight of the car pushing down on it.
I'm guessing not once the bead seal is broken
The PSI is the same with the car weight on it as it is not mounted. Science wasn’t one of your favorite classes was it 😉Also It’s not that often bead breaks for a slow leak or overnight flat. Usually that happens if sudden loss of pressure while driving or hitting a pothole. Most often if you lost the bead the tire is damaged and not usable anyway.